CBL 129 Wax issues

Has anyone else been using CBL 129 candlewic wax and been having issues lately? I have used this wax for years now and all the sudden on my last shipment been having issues with Rippling and settling. Contacted them and they had told me to increase my fragrance or add 2% mineral oil, which I shouldn't have to do but actually tried and did not make a difference. It does it for my candle containers and wax melts. Looking to see if anybody has any suggestions, ideas or been having the same issues. Really don't want to change cuz this stuff is great and works perfect for everything I pour, until now. I've included a picture of my wax melts on the right where my prior pours on the left is the new batch that I got.

20190207_213600.jpg

• Confused 1

Wow! I haven't used 129  in a while, but I've never seen that! I'm assuming you didn't change anything with your process?

Did you send CW that picture? One would think they would want to know if one of their lots wasn't up to spec. They have a reputation for consistent waxes.

3 hours ago, Sarah S said:

Wow! I haven't used 129  in a while, but I've never seen that! I'm assuming you didn't change anything with your process?

Did you send CW that picture? One would think they would want to know if one of their lots wasn't up to spec. They have a reputation for consistent waxes.

Yeah, they had said to increase the fragrance, and possibly add  2% mineral oil, neither of which helped. It's odd to me as i have been using this for years and only started on the last shipment i received.  I wondering if it could have been labeled wrong, can't figure it out.

14 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Have temps in your working space changed lately? 

No, i pour in the basement of my house which is heated. Nothing has changed at all, and i have used this wax for years in the same environment and same process of pouring. that is what is baffling to me, maybe wax isn't the cbl 129 and labeled wrong from factory? Colors are a little different then normal also.

I know right, that's what baffles me, nothing has changed as far as pouring goes, and has been the same for years. Only started with the newest shipment I got. Candlewic is working with me on it and gonna try a different batch number of the wax. I tried different pour temps, increasing FO and even adding mineral oil, nothing works.

20 minutes ago, Fireside said:

Even the finish/texture/appearance around the rim does not look like the same wax in both clamshells...very odd.

Starting to wonder if it wasnt labeled wrong. They are sending me more from a different batch/lot # to try and see what happens 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, ChadM said:

Starting to wonder if it wasnt labeled wrong. They are sending me more from a different batch/lot # to try and see what happens 

I'm glad they are working with you to try to make it right. I agree that it looks like a totally different wax, or like an additive gone wrong.... Either way, I don't see how it could be anything you're doing wrong on your end, a 100% paraffin blend should NOT be that fussy about temps and additional additives.

• Like 1

No, I'm hoping it will be here tomorrow. Yes that is exactly what mine is doing. Now it didnt work for mine, but I was told to try adding 2% mineral oil, and this had some success,  or a high dosage of FO. No luck here. I will post something either way with the new stuff. Fingers crossed

10 minutes ago, ChadM said:

Well, good new, looks like it was just a mislabel on a lot# of wax. They send me a box from a different lot and back in bussiness.

That's good news. That other stuff looked so weird. LOL. Like rising bread dough.

• 2 weeks later...

Well what do you know, @ChadM you're not the only one having the rippled, dimpled wax issues, the big companies are too, just FYI. I took these pics at either Michael's or JoAnn's craft stores today. When I saw them, it reminded me of this post so of course I had to whip out my phone and take pics, LOL.

2019-03-04 12.34.26.jpg

2019-03-04 10.27.23.jpg

Well, I'm not sure what wax I had but it definitely was not a container/melt suitable wax. But that is odd that it turns up now. I see speckles there too, maybe they went to a cheaper wax? Wish I knew. I started doing candles in 05 and never seen that before. Tried all the tricks and couldnt get it to go away. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

4794 did that to me a few years back. It was horrible!!! After a few back and forths with my former supplier they figured out it was on IGI's end in form of too much of an additive. 
It was limited to one lot/batch. I think it was in 2014 or 2015.