what do you stir with?

jfc

I used to use silicone or even just those heavy plastic serving spoons but then I found some slotted metal serving spoons at Dollar Tree, think 2/$1 and I love them.  They are just the right height for my pots so they don't flip out of the pot like the big plastic ones did!

My stirring spoons came from Dollar Tree too. A pack of 3-4 spoons for $1. Thick, white plastic that wipes off easily or can be microwaved and the handles are varying lengths so it works out great depending on the height of the pouring pot I'm using at the time. @kandlekrazy brings up a good point about spoons that are too long flipping out of the pots, had that happened too. 

• Like 1

Stainless steel slotted spoon. Helps disperse and blend fragrance. Inert so does not absorb, or interact with any candle materials.

Takes heat, easily washable. I would be afraid of wood as fragrance oils, essentials can alter the wood and wax and would worry about anything going into the wax. There are long slotted spoons online, and kitchen supply stores. Larger batches I would use a stainless whisk slowly to incorporate fragrance more thoroughly.

• Like 1

I've never trusted metal.  Always figured it would have some sort of chemical reaction (for example, I don't mix food recipes that contain vinegar or lemon juice in metal "reactive" bowls - only glass).  So I've always used wood or those white spoons that Laura C uses.  When I had a 200 lb melter, I found long-handled wooden paddles from a restaurant supply place that were great.

• Like 1

Wood is acidic and porous. It can also degrade where metal is inert and does not degrade. Fragrance oils, plus heat and wax components can degrade wood popsicle sticks and spoons. Wood is also absorbent, metal is not. 

Your wax melter is metal, not wood for a reason. 

Glass is also inert but glass breaks and that could be a big mess in wax!

Plastic also absorbs chemicals.

Silicone also absorbs. Hence the alerts when making bath and body products once you use a silicone mold with fragrance oils you are not going to use it for food products!

You can get Long metal spoons at the dollar store or any restaurant supply online, or Amazon. Slotted or with holes makes a great stirring spoon. These are also easily cleaned. You can’t clean wood.

• Like 2

When using metal utensils, make sure they are truly 100% stainless steel and not plated. Soap makers figure this out pretty darned fast as lye eats non stainless releasing toxic gas in the process.

I’ve had metal coating flake off of supposed stainless steel kitchen utensils, so look for the labels for sure! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I use a longer silicone icing spatula.  I have just always liked using it as it’s long enough to stir wax in a larger pour pot, yet not to long for the smaller pot either.  It’s only about 3/4 of an inch wide and I love using it.  When I change the fragrance, I always use my heat gun to get the wax off of the spatula to make sure there’s no excess left behind and then just wipe with a paper towel.  To each their own of course...  I just wanted to share what works for me.  HTH!  😇

• 1 month later...