What do you do with a FO that doesn't throw?

Paintguru

So I'm in the process of testing the seemingly endless supply of FO samples that I have to see how they perform in my candle system.  Some of them I like a great deal, but don't throw as well as others.  If you stumble across a great scent, but its throw is less than stellar, what do you usually do?  Up the FO content, thereby adding cost?  Just bail on it and find other, better throwing FOs?  Just curious if most just give up, if they somehow try to make it better, or if you just produce the candle and accept that the throw may not fill a whole house.  

• Like 1

Sometimes you can't up the fo content, the wax just won't hold it and sometimes it makes it worse, so you'd have to test and see.  I usually just move on unless it's a scent I think will sell to the customers that don't want overwhelming.  I have some regular customers that like lighter scents, they are very sensitive to strong so I have probably 10 scents that are light in scent and throw and they sell!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paintguru said:

So I'm in the process of testing the seemingly endless supply of FO samples that I have to see how they perform in my candle system.  Some of them I like a great deal, but don't throw as well as others.  If you stumble across a great scent, but its throw is less than stellar, what do you usually do?  Up the FO content, thereby adding cost?  Just bail on it and find other, better throwing FOs?  Just curious if most just give up, if they somehow try to make it better, or if you just produce the candle and accept that the throw may not fill a whole house.  

If a scent doesn't throw for me, in the % I use in my candles, no matter how much I love it/like it/want it - I consider it a dud and move on. There are way too many suppliers, and too many other great scents that I can get to throw in my applications at the % I use to keep trying on one that just does not work. 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

If a scent doesn't throw for me, in the % I use in my candles, no matter how much I love it/like it/want it - I consider it a dud and move on. There are way too many suppliers, and too many other great scents that I can get to throw in my applications at the % I use to keep trying on one that just does not work. 

Yeah that is what I'm leaning toward.  I almost wish we had a database of Suppliers, FOs, waxes, and throw ranking from 1-10 or something.  I know that is VERY subjective, but it would give folks a good idea of the good vs. the bad without having to search through thread after thread and order sample after sample. 

28 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Sometimes I can just change the wick or the container style.  A tall, narrow container often does the trick I find. The chimney effect can make a light scent powerful. 

If making for yourself or a friend this would be an acceptable alternative, however for me, even for personal use if it doesn't fit within my candle line I dump it. 

36 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

If making for yourself or a friend this would be an acceptable alternative, however for me, even for personal use if it doesn't fit within my candle line I dump it. 

Those are two different things. If the scent is nice and needs assistance to throw that’s one thing. Not fitting into a line is different. I’ve stumbled onto some ridiculously good fragrances that work in soap but needed help in candles.  And vice versa.  Don’t forget melts. 

One great thing about all the wax hullabaloo during the past couple of years, I can nearly always quickly find a wick or container that turns a fail into a success just because so many things changed and needed to be retested. So happy I learned all I did from the “failures“.

• Like 1

Hi @Paintguru. Why not try a little bit of a scent boosting additive such as one of the Vybars with a paraffin wax or one of the Universal Additives for a soy wax? Have you not tried them or have they not worked for you?  And of course you could always use those weak scents in fire starters, that seems to be a popular option. LOL

Edited by Laura C

13 hours ago, Laura C said:

Hi @Paintguru. Why not try a little bit of a scent boosting additive such as one of the Vybars with a paraffin wax or one of the Universal Additives for a soy wax? Have you not tried them or have they not worked for you?  And of course you could always use those weak scents in fire starters, that seems to be a popular option. LOL

I have not ventured into Vybars yet.  Are they worth trying?  I'd hate to add complexity, but if they are easy and help significantly, maybe they're worth a try.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Paintguru said:

I have not ventured into Vybars yet.  Are they worth trying?  I'd hate to add complexity, but if they are easy and help significantly, maybe they're worth a try.

Sorry, I can't provide any feedback on Vybar, I've not started testing with it yet. Maybe someone with experience will respond. I can say that I have increased c&h scent throw using Universal Soy Wax Additive (USWA) in coconut soy wax blends with pretty much any FO that I used. And I know what you mean about adding any unnecessary ingredients or steps. I like to keep things as quick and simple as possible.

Edited by Laura C

What scent family is it and what does the IFRA cert say?  Is it something I add to a base and wear as perfume?  As a room spray?  Diffuser for a small room? Something I can add to corncobs and create a sachet to put under the seat in my car or to gently scent a lingerie drawer?

The options are endless if you look at other potential uses.

Just so I don't have to start another thread, is there any interest in a shared Google spreadsheet where people can list FOs that they've tried, and their mini-review of them?  People could sort the list as desired to research potentially new fragrances.  I can generate a template if people have an interest in this.  

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 1:38 PM, TallTayl said:

Sometimes I can just change the wick or the container style.  A tall, narrow container often does the trick I find. The chimney effect can make a light scent powerful. 

I also find that when I do the initial test, if I don't get a full melt pool because the fragrance is heavy and I've under-wicked, it's not fair to ditch the fragrance if it's not given a chance to show itself off with a full melt pool.  Then again, if I have to wick it with a fireball just to get a good HT, I'm not willing to sell that or spend the time to keep wicking (that was before I found your apple corer approach!).  That's when - if I STILL must have it - that I start looking at different jars that might be a better match.  This is a rarity though.  Most of the time I just move on.