How to sell my first tart melts???

Trappeur

I made my first tart melts in the metal scalloped molds this evening.   I found I had 5 small and 5 large scalloped tin molds.

I was thinking that my packaging would be in the 16oz and 8oz tins with a great looking label on the tin lid.

How made ( I followed Flamings directions)

Metal tart scalloped molds.

The large mold holds 2 1/2 ounces

The small molds holds 1 ounce

4625 Wax (I made a 1/2 pound wax) (I also added 4 large tablespoons of 464 to this)

Christmas Hearth by CS

Melted to 200

Poured 175 (I saved extra wax for a thin repour as Flaming said this would be needed but after they hardened they had no dips in the center at all and they came out just beautiful.   The tops are grainy like a rustic look...but I love.

(is 4625 this easy to work with or die i just get lucky in pouring???

Now the trick is how to get these out of the molds?  Put in freezer and then push down so it comes out of mold? ??

Questions???:

I can fit 2 tarts in either the 16oz or 8oz round tins and was thinking of putting a little doo dad embed on top.

I figured out costs completely made and ready to go.

Large 16oz - 4.04 to make  (this seems rather high )

To wholesale the large maybe I should charge 6.00 as the same amount of work goes into this as the small??

I need to re add the prices again on this large tin.

Small 8oz - 1.63 to make

To wholesale at 4.00 is much better and I think they could get 8.00 retail

Do you think my pricing structure of the wholesale prices sound good?

Trappeur            

CIMG2206.thumb.JPG.9a9dcba1e7b3164adabcce94f78aa1ef.JPG

CIMG2207.thumb.JPG.994a241d35cc6d42879bc1021182b017.JPG

CIMG2209.thumb.JPG.b9ee0a175703505cb890f863831f430a.JPG

• Like 1

Yes Seblo 2 tarts in a tin completely ready to put out on floor and sell.

So what do you think?  Too expensive?   Don't forget they will be in a tin.

And yes that is the weight of what each tart sells for?

Also "tart"  is a trade marked word - so what do I call them?

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur

Ok, so let me understand this.

The large 2  1/2 ounce melts (they each weigh that) will be going in a tin so there will be 2 tarts in a tin and if my cost is $4.04 to make the 2 melts realistically I always double my wholesale price , this making this tin with 2 melts in it I would charge 8.00 for the two of them.   So that means the store would put a retail on this tin of $16.00.   I think that is rather expensive for 2 melts and I myself wouldn't pay 16.00 for 2 melts so that is why I thought why not sell them for a wholesale price of $6.00 a tin and the store sell for 12.00 rather than 16.00.   

Trappeur

My gut reaction is that is too much and people won’t be willing to pay that much. But, I haven’t thought on it long either. 

I always think of yankee tarts that sell for $2 at .83oz. That’s $2.40 per ounce. (Of course they only last Up to 8 hours)

For your large tin at $12 they are paying $2.40 an ounce. That’s not bad considering the packaging. 

For the small tin at $8 they are paying $4 an ounce which is going to be a hard sell. 

How many small melts can you fit in the large tin? 

Happy wax does well selling in tins and they have a high price point. But there are a lot of tiny bears in the tin. 

I also call mine wax melts. 

Also, consumers aren’t going to pull out their calculators to figure out price per ounce to see if it’s a good deal or not. 

Their just going to think...that’s a lot for 2 melts. 

However, with the right packaging I think you may be able to pull it off. It just depends on your market and the stores you’re in. You have a customer base familiar with your quality candles. So they may be willing to give your melts a try even at that price. 

Its tricky. 

Those prices include the tin? If so, the tin seems super spendy for two tarts, and You’re not leaving yourself all that much profit for the item. IMO. 

How about packaging one one or two in a clear cello or glassine bag? Your stickers and a piece of rustic birch, burlap, etc. would still look great on the outer package with more room for profit.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Metal tart scalloped molds.

4625 Wax (I made a 1/2 pound wax) (I also added 4 large tablespoons of 464 to this)

Poured 175 (I saved extra wax for a thin repour as Flaming said this would be needed but after they hardened they had no dips in the center at all and they came out just beautiful.

(is 4625 this easy to work with or die i just get lucky in pouring???

Now the trick is how to get these out of the molds?  Put in freezer and then push down so it comes out of mold? ??

Metal Tart Molds - after they cool and are cool to the touch, mine pop out easily. Just turn upside down, may or may not have to give a little tap or slight squeeze.

IGI 4625 Pillar Wax is easy to work with and does really well with clamshells and tart molds, at least for the few I have made. Good h&c scent throw, I just hate that it's in slab form.

For sink holes, I've had that problem with that wax, I even mixed a batch with 20% 444 soy and still had sink holes. I have noticed that the larger in diameter the mold is, the less the sink hole is and seems like if I don't completely fill the cavities, like you show in your pics, then the sink holes weren't as noticeable either. I can do a 2nd pour but prefer not to.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Laura C

Well, I did this morning an experiment and did a 2 color tart.

I made 1 pound wax of which I added 6 tablespoons heaping of 464 to the 4625 to make up a pound.

Tarts are turning out just beautiful and have like a mottled grainy rustic top finish, which I'm rather liking as generally my candles are usually a slick as glass and shiny top.

Now I know this is a pour problem.   They say to pour at 175 which I did on the plain not 2 color batch and they turned perfect WITH '"NO" sink holes which directions said I would but I got none.   But when I went and poured a top off in the 2 color tart I didn't have the top 2'nd pour hot enough as when I took out of mold they split right at the seam where the 2 colors meet, so I will have to pour a little hotter next time.   And being that it is cool in my house all the tarts had surface cracks, but I know how to deal with that.

NOW.....I just made some more two color tarts.

This time I poured at 150 the bottom and they are just as gorgeous as the ones poured at 175 with NO sink holes so I'm surprized at that, but it is perfect.

Now I just did the 2'nd pour which is the top in a different color, but I poured the top at 175 and still looking good.

I'll take some pictures shortly.

Trappeur

• Like 3

Well after many trial and error making the single tarts is just way too time consuming.

I did this batch using 75%  4625 and 25% 464.

The 464 made too soft a look that would scratch very easily whether in a plastic bag or putting in a tin.

I prefer to use just 4625 all by itself with nothing added also.  

I will be better off just making my embed melts I use for my candles and putting a bunch of them in a tin to sell as I can put 35 in a large tin so this idea bit the dust.

CIMG2235.thumb.JPG.fce05624df294f14ae11f1aea5f30c15.JPG

CIMG2231.thumb.JPG.7ff75b886aba48e2c4fbde24704ba41b.JPG

CIMG2238.thumb.JPG.dafd4653bd7160d2ef603d83c0d28682.JPG

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Those would look darling poured into little cupcake foils. Then pop a bunch into a pastry box or singles into a clear wrap like cello bag. 

What great ideas Tall Tayle....love em.

The only thing why I hesitate is because no matter what type of wax is used as I have seen in stores of packaged items in those clear baggies is that everyone always has such smear marks and they look so ratty looking after a while.   With as much walk through of traffic that comes through the apple orchard account which is where these will go I wouldn't like this as I would always be repackaging as vain as I am.   But I am loving that idea and could see twine, maybe burlap or some nice string around the cello bag.   Now then with a piece of real birchbark and a hang tag or most likely a label on the bag, they really could be quite gorgeous.    I have decided to use just 4625 for the melts and I can make an abundance of them real quickly.   I could make them in my sleep!   lol..........Well now that you have me thinking about this, I will take a chance and make some up like this.   And as you said, the profit margin would be so much more greater for me.   Could you help me and tell me where I could buy these cello bags???While your at it how about what price should I do and how much should I put in each bag???

Thanks Tall Tayle....I'll get started on them today and get labels made up too.

1.   Where can I get the cello bags and what size?

2.  How much in weight should go in each bag?

3.  What price should I sell them for (NEED THE WHOLESALE PRICE)

4.   I think I'll even do some colored ones....what do you think?

Thanks!   Trappeur................

Edited by Trappeur

40 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Those would look darling poured into little cupcake foils. Then pop a bunch into a pastry box or singles into a clear wrap like cello bag. 

Cupcake foils are darling as I have used them before when pouring firestarters, but the foil definitely pulls away from the product after a while.

Trappeur.............

What about little kraft bags with the window to package them - or small kraft boxes 

I use the boxes for maxi tealights and the bags for little cube melts with salts in them and they don’t smear the plastic window to bad at all but consumer can see what the product is and there is room for a label above it 

amazon has them in several sizes and for me I found it cheaper to go with them with prime free shipping than an actual supplier 

here is a link to one of the sizes I have purchased - 

BagDream Bakery Bags Wax Kraft Paper Bags 50Pcs 3.54x2.36x6.7" Tin Tie Tab Lock Bags Brown Window Bags https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MT206C0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_RECvCbNWT63ZG

Edited by moonshine

I like this kraft paper look as it is rustic and so me but I think the idea of the cello bag with some rustic twine or something around the neck like a red black buffalo check or even burlap ribbon and a piece of real birchbark would be real pretty and stand out more for me.   Thankyou Moonshine.

Now need to find the cheapest bag and the proper bag.

Trappeur.........................

The bakery boxes with the clear oval or really any clear section work the best if you don't want smears.  The bags tend to get ugly after customers touch them.  Paper bags would work well but now you're covering up all the prettiness you created unless you use the candy bags with the clear section in front.  In any event look at Papermart, they have a good selection to browse and then buy where you can get cheapest.