Need to Harden Pillar Wax

I am currently using CandleWic 4045H Pillar wax. My challenge is the edges of the candle become very soft and tend to 'blow out' when the melt pool reaches the edges. I can 'mold' the tops when I finish a burn but my friends and family that I make these for will not have a clue what to do except light it and enjoy it. Is stearic the best additive to harden a pillar candle. If so would you start a 5%? Thanks for you help....

If you are getting blow outs you probably need to use a smaller wick. It's easier to manipulate a wick size to make a candle burn right, than to change the whole composition of how a wax is supposed to behave. 

I remember before I started making candles, I would always form the tops by "hugging" them. I used to buy from party-lite, and one of their selling points for their pillar candles was "do you love your candles? then hug them" and then they would show you how to hug your pillars after each burn. 

I agree. A blow out is typical of a candle being overwicked. Keep testing with smaller sizes until you get the best wick size and burn without the blow out. It may also mean you may have to test other wick series to get the right one.

Did you try their 4144 pillar wax? If I were going buy paraffin wax from CW to make pillars I would start testing with it first. Looks like 4045 is formulated more towards cut 'n carve and taper candles. Yes you can make pillars out of it but that doesn't necessarily mean its best for pillars. JMO

Edited by Candybee

Coachtom, Candybee and Jcandle are encouraging you to dial in the right wick to prevent side blow-outs because once you starting adding stearic acid or vybar, you run the risk of "locking" the fragrance in.  This is why we (generally speaking) get better scent throws use softer waxes that need "supported" by jars.  Jar waxes are softer and have less stearic and/or vybar compared to pillar blends.

• Thanks 1