Do customers really care if its "Soy"?

I have been making candles for a little over a year now and I finally got comfortable with IGI 4630. It has great H&C throw and its really easy to work with IMO. I have been trying to find a good soy wax to work with, but I am having a hard time getting a decent HT with any of the ones I have tried. After many hours of searching through these forums, I believe this is a common thing with  soy wax? My question is, do customers really know the difference and do they even care if its soy? Also how often do your clients request soy candles?  Thanks!

I currently make both soy and paraffin.  Some customers do specifically request soy, but most of my customers don't have a strong preference.  Some of them don't want soy at all, but will only buy the paraffin. 

While I sell more soy online, here locally, where customers can sniff and choose, paraffin outsells soy.  I live in the Midwest.  Hope that helps.

56 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

I get maybe one in a year that asks if it’s soy. Make a clean burning, good smelling and safe candle and not one person really cares it seems. 

Good to know. Do you sell online, in person, or both? If you sell online, do you notice a difference in sales between Paraffin or Soy?

36 minutes ago, Crafty1_AJ said:

I currently make both soy and paraffin.  Some customers do specifically request soy, but most of my customers don't have a strong preference.  Some of them don't want soy at all, but will only buy the paraffin. 

While I sell more soy online, here locally, where customers can sniff and choose, paraffin outsells soy.  I live in the Midwest.  Hope that helps.

Good information! Thank you. I was doing a lot of online market research to see whats selling and it seems that Soy is very popular. Maybe that's just for online sales? I'm curious why you sell more Soy online? Do you market your products differently? Or maybe online buyers are a different market and prefer more "natural" products? 

I make palm candles and periodically get asked if I have soy candles. So I take that question and just turn it into a sale by pointing out the qualities and selling points of my candles. More times than not I make the sale.  In my experience the majority of customers are looking for great scent throw first followed by quality craftmanship.

Yes I get the environmentally conscience customer occasionally but again I point out the pros and cons of both waxes and finish with my candle selling points and generally make the sale. 

I think the answer here is find the wax you love working with the most and learn everything you can about it. If you know and love your product it shows and makes customers confident enough to buy from you.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Candybee said:

See I get asked all the time if my candles are soy. All the candlemakers in this area make soy and that is what people expect. So when I say mine are palm I usually get the blank stare.

What area are you in? I'm in Los Angeles and I get asked quite often if they are soy. I agree with ellajoan that it seems like the younger, hipster crowd asks for soy more. I've also noticed a lot of online companies are promoting "natural" or "Soy" candles. 

1 hour ago, Lulu Belles said:

What area are you in? I'm in Los Angeles and I get asked quite often if they are soy. I agree with ellajoan that it seems like the younger, hipster crowd asks for soy more. I've also noticed a lot of online companies are promoting "natural" or "Soy" candles. 

Northern VA in the Shenandoah valley near Washington DC. We have lots of metro area tourists come to the Shenandoah Valley plus DC area retirees living in the area as well as DC workers living here and commuting to DC. My point being we have a very sophisticated and savvy metropolitan crowd that are not afraid to ask questions about ingredients, their origin, manufacturing methods, and how they apply to the ecology, energy efficiency, their personal body health, etc, etc.