I really need to get a printer and learn how to make labels......

...so I can give these to people at my office.  Seriously, if anyone can tell me a site or something I can go read up on for label making, I'd appreciate it.  I don't sell but I'd decorate the heck out of my own candles just for the look of it.  I may just go the low-tech way and decoupage some pictures onto glass.  Good/bad idea?

Candle-label-idea.jpg

Edited by Darbla
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I get online labels .com..clear gloss and use a Canon injet printer.  They have design software which is very easy to use, then I print them with  the photo, glossy picture setting.  I let them sit for at least an hour or so before I apply them.  Then while the candle sits for a few days, the ink really sets up.  Works for me.

• Like 2

Hi @Darbla. Besides what they mentioned above, if you have Microsoft Word, it has label and other design templates.

https://www.onlinelabels.com/

https://www.zazzle.com/

Canva has some free options https://www.canva.com/

And I believe Avery and Vista Print both have the options to print your own labels.

https://www.avery.com/

https://www.vistaprint.com/

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

The inkjets will break the bank! 

This is a huge reason I've tried to go paperless at my house.  The cartridges are criminally priced.  The last printer I bought, they had the printer and cartridges programmed to expire a year after manufacture, no matter how much ink was left in them.  The printer had sat on the shelf for months before I bought it, and then stopped working soon after I set it up and started using it because that year had been reached.  I've refused to buy another HP product since then, but they're all horrible rip-offs anyway.  Back to the decoupage idea...

• Like 2

If you’re doing it just for fun and giving your products away, then totally buy the label sheets and print at home however you want. I use labelsonthefly.com for nice quality, cheap labels. Decoupage is a nice idea, but sounds labor intensive. I tried the handmade way when I first started out a few years ago, and I quickly realized it was unsustainable.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Darbla said:

...so I can give these to people at my office.  Seriously, if anyone can tell me a site or something I can go read up on for label making, I'd appreciate it.  I don't sell but I'd decorate the heck out of my own candles just for the look of it.  I may just go the low-tech way and decoupage some pictures onto glass.  Good/bad idea?

Candle-label-idea.jpg

Maybe this is all I need:  Some really uniquely-worded labels.  Then the customer won't care if they can't smell the candle. lol

• Haha 3

I have a suggestion for an inkjet printer. its epson ecotank, that's what we have at home. The printer is expensive upfront but the ink lasts a long time. I got it last year and have printed almost 4,000 pages both colored and black and I still use the same ink since I bought it last year.

Ink is refillable and the bottle costs $17 which could last thousands of pages for black

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Darbla said:

This is a huge reason I've tried to go paperless at my house.  The cartridges are criminally priced.  The last printer I bought, they had the printer and cartridges programmed to expire a year after manufacture, no matter how much ink was left in them.  The printer had sat on the shelf for months before I bought it, and then stopped working soon after I set it up and started using it because that year had been reached.  I've refused to buy another HP product since then, but they're all horrible rip-offs anyway.  Back to the decoupage idea...

yeah if this is just for yourself and you're not selling just be creative with pens, markers & decoupage!  I'm old school so I still love decoupage, Mod Podge!

• Like 1

I bought a cheap HP printer at Walmart last year when my old Dell printer finally broke. I am also using Maestro at Online Labels to do all my labels and signs. Its very user friendly and I always get the best compliments on my labels.

Give a new printer a try Darbla as the technology has changed enough you can get really good ones much cheaper now.

19 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

Yeah if you want cheap buy the labels and use the free Avery software.  I use Printshop  at home and have a color laser.  The inkjets will break the bank!  Worth it to get the laser and only buy cartridges once a year.

I paid $99 cdn for my Canon Inkjet printer which comes with "starter" cartridges...so I also purchased a new full size set of cartridges...cost me $199!!!  That was the only set I bought..I now order sets on Amazon package of 3 sets for $30.. no brainer!

I also use Avery, and their design software is very easy to use...and free.

• 2 weeks later...

FYI Article about Canon not allowing third party inks anymore so they force you to buy their inks which cost a fortune. I have a laser printer which I love to print labels and buy third party cartridges way way cheaper. Before you buy any machine research to see if they accept third party inks. Laser initial investment is higher but quality is excellent for labels. There are lots of excellent editing software online you can use to create labels. Like anything else ( hahah making candles) there is a learning curve.