Taking a poll on the best "proven" best throwing wax...

I guess it's a trend of softer paraffin being the most popular for throw such as 4627/4630 and the J waxes, even still after decades.  I just am not a fan of shiny creamy type candles or else I would go with 125 as well.  Grr, always something with each wax...none is perfect of course.

So far I am finding palm to throw just as good as paraffin with good oils.  Sarah, you think 125 is better for bakery I see.  So you do all bakery in 125 and the rest in palm as 2 separate candle lines?  What do your customers tend to go for the most?  

I was thinking of trying Palm, until I read this from Candle Science.  Is this bound to happen with more suppliers??

We take environmental issues very seriously at CandleScience. While developing our products to be safe and easy to use, we require them to be as environmentally friendly as possible. New information has eroded our confidence in the sustainability of palm wax. Because environmental responsibility is a critical component of our culture, we have made the very difficult decision to discontinue all palm waxes.

Maybe I should go back to woodworking?! 🔨

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Gary in Canada said:

I was thinking of trying Palm, until I read this from Candle Science.  Is this bound to happen with more suppliers??

Not really, this from CS was MANY years ago and several suppliers still carry palm.  You will find SOMETHING about EVERY wax good and bad.  You either stick to what you know and stand behind your product for reasons you chose it in the first place OR you go along with the soy "all natural" false information hype just to avoid confrontation/educating your customers.  There are many threads on here upon a search regarding this article.

6 hours ago, Fireside said:

So far I am finding palm to throw just as good as paraffin with good oils.  Sarah, you think 125 is better for bakery I see.  So you do all bakery in 125 and the rest in palm as 2 separate candle lines?  What do your customers tend to go for the most?  

I do my bakery scents in a 22oz apothecary jar in 125, and everything else in a 16oz straight jar in Palm. However, I do also offer a little 8oz tumbler in Palm that kind of straddles the bakery line, because I do coffe scents, chai, cider, and other beverage scents in those. 

My customers are all over the place with what they like. Some of them go for the little candle because I priced it low, but for the most part everyone equally loves the Palm and the 125. People that LOVE bakery scents rave about the apothecary jars, I think because they are big enough to fill a large room, last a long time, and have such great throw. But just as many people rave about unique scents I use in the palm, and they love they way it looks. But I have a very small line, I only offer maybe six different scents per container. So I can be really picky about what fragrances I offer. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Sarah S said:

I do my bakery scents in a 22oz apothecary jar in 125, and everything else in a 16oz straight jar in Palm. However, I do also offer a little 8oz tumbler in Palm that kind of straddles the bakery line, because I do coffe scents, chai, cider, and other beverage scents in those. 

My customers are all over the place with what they like. Some of them go for the little candle because I priced it low, but for the most part everyone equally loves the Palm and the 125. People that LOVE bakery scents rave about the apothecary jars, I think because they are big enough to fill a large room, last a long time, and have such great throw. But just as many people rave about unique scents I use in the palm, and they love they way it looks. But I have a very small line, I only offer maybe six different scents per container. So I can be really picky about what fragrances I offer. 

I also am picky with oils.  Do you use 141 alone, blended with 125, or palm for melts nowadays?  I'm still on the should I blend or not blend train. 

Has anyone ever tried CW palm container or GG for melts in addition to your candles?  I understand it's considered container but it seems like it would be hard enough...?

Edit to add: I'm so happy customers are loving your candles!! Go girl!

Edited by lovelyscents
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, lovelyscents said:

Has anyone ever tried CW palm container or GG for melts in addition to your candles?  I understand it's considered container but it seems like it would be hard enough...?

I've done it with both several times. Either wax makes great melts. However, be warned that due to the high heating and pouring temps of the wax you won't want to use plastic clamshells. I pour my wax into metal tart molds.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Candybee said:

I've done it with both several times. Either wax makes great melts. However, be warned that due to the high heating and pouring temps of the wax you won't want to use plastic clamshells. I pour my wax into metal tart molds.

I personally hate clams.  No matter where they're purchased from, they still get a plastic note to the melts over time, even with pouring at different temperatures.  Also, they are way too common and I like to stand out..so no problems there :).  My preference is silicone rubber mold shapes.

5 hours ago, Candybee said:

Ditto that!

@lovelyscents, I am mostly using the Palm 2 from CW for my melts now, it is so easy and the results are great. I always make shapes with silicone molds when I do Palm melts.

When I make clamshells, I'm mixing just about 10% 125 with the 141 to smooth out some of those darn dimples! If I'm making them just for me, I'll just use the 141. I can not tell a difference in performance when I add the 125, but it's such a small amount.

Have you ever tried the CBL-130 for melts? It's soft, but firmer that IGI 6006 mix. It might be worth a try if you want a soy blend.

• Like 1

I thought about this topic for a while and I realized that the best throwing wax is that wax I got to make melts, you know, the wax you have to hit with a hammer to break off a piece. If I was going to throw some wax that would be the one. I've already thrown it on the garage floor a couple of times, and I keep a chunk of it on my bed side table in case I need to throw it at a bugler.Yes sir, if you want a wax for throwing, that is the one.

• Haha 9

Mr. Skunk has been gone for a while...Maybe the bed wasn't warm enough for him.   Geesh, I do have heating pads in the beds so I cant imagine what his problem was.    But then maybe he doesn't like to share a bed as all my cats pile up on top of each other like 8 to 10 cats in a bed.

Trappeur

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Mr. Skunk has been gone for a while...Maybe the bed wasn't warm enough for him.   Geesh, I do have heating pads in the beds so I cant imagine what his problem was.    But then maybe he doesn't like to share a bed as all my cats pile up on top of each other like 8 to 10 cats in a bed.

Trappeur

This is a good thing, yes?!!

• Haha 1

Speaking of skunks, one winter 2 squirrels were chasing a skunk right outside my back door when the skunk finally let loose and sprayed. The squirrels started dancing around like their bodies were on fire.......

Fortunately I had all my doors and windows secured shut so I thought I was safe.... until smell hit me about 5 minutes later. Didn't matter that my house was closed up it still came into the house. I got a severe headache and my eyes burned horribly for about a couple of hours. I won't even go into detail about the smell but it was strong, and bad, nasty, nasty bad!!

I was pretty certain those squirrels learned a big lesson not to mess with a skunk again.

So Trappeur be glad that skunk is gone. Squirrels, cats, deer, any other creature could set one off and I know this from my squirrel vs skunk experience!!

• Haha 1

On 1/31/2019 at 7:58 PM, Sarah S said:

Ditto that!

@lovelyscents

Have you ever tried the CBL-130 for melts? It's soft, but firmer that IGI 6006 mix. It might be worth a try if you want a soy blend.

I don't think I will be using soy anymore at this point.

Edit to add...but thank you for the suggestion :)

Edited by lovelyscents
  • Haha 1

On 1/27/2019 at 2:22 PM, Trappeur said:

Sarah,   can you give me like an idea like what jar you use for an example and then what size htp wick you would use for it in the CB125.

I have tons of htp wicks and cd wicks which I use mainly.   Can't remember without looking it up, but is that a soy or what?   Is it slab or easy pour pellets.

I use the pint canning jar and 16oz country comfort for example.   You use any of these jars?

Also how bout curing?   2 weeks?

Trappeur

Hello Trappeur, I use the candlewic wax with 16oz and 10 oz comfort, 8 oz jelly, 9 oz hex and clamshell melts. Curing is just a couple days. I dont even have to top off, just fill and lightly go over with a heat gun to smooth out the top.

30 minutes ago, Fireside said:

@Trappeur curious on your thoughts of going from soy to pouring paraffin?  I happen to miss the texture of soy sadly, but not the throw.

The biggest thing I hear when I talk to customers are my candles have a better throw and last alot longer then soy. I hear about more smoking with parrafin, but I have not had issues with that especially if the wicks are trimmed properly and you use the proper wick. I test burn each oil with every new scent that I add.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2019 at 1:44 PM, Sarah S said:

@Trappeur, if you really want a wax that throws like crazy, you have got to try Candlewic's CBL-125!!!

It's soooo easy to use, it's not finicky about pouring temp at all, it's a single-pour, wicks like a dream with HTPs, and oh my gosh the HT is fantastic! I'm burning a 16oz apothecary jar double wicked with HTP 73, 7% Carrot Cake from Aztec, and it is filling my whole downstairs level. I love this wax!

I agree with @Candybee about palm wax, they Crystal Palm 1 from Candlewic is my #2 favorite wax. I think the CT is superior to CBL-125, and the HT is comparable. For bakery I prefer the 125, for everything else the palm is excellent. I don't always color my palm wax, and I think the crystals look just as pretty. I make my daughter a Jack Frost (vanilla and mint) type candle with Crystal Palm, and I keep it white, and it is gorgeous with that particular FO. Oh and wicking the Palm is super easy, I have found I don't need to wick up or down dependent of the FO - once you find the correct wick for your jar, you are good to go! CSNs have worked great for me, on advice from @Candybee.

Sarah, I just poured some CBL 125 and can't wait to burn.  I don't dye my wax and the only issue I"m finding so far is that a high vanillan content will turn yellow with this wax.  I wonder if I could add some white pigment.  Anyone know if this will affect the wicking?

• Like 1

Not Sarah, but I find all of my white paraffin waxes to have discoloration depending on the oils (when I do not color).  This is just the nature of being dye-free wax, just like CP soap once it cures over time.  I have not had anyone mind it.  I have never used white pigment so I cannot comment on that aspect.  

• Thanks 1