Taking a poll on the best "proven" best throwing wax...

I'm wanting to take a poll on the best throwing wax out there on the market that you presently use.   I don't care if it is a paraffin, soy, soy blend, coconut, or one of the beautiful palms out there.   I'm getting ready to start testing a new wax that has NO complications and like I said I don't care what type it is, so if you could tell us what is a PROVEN, BEST SELLING WAX you use, it would be great.

Thanks so much!

Trappeur

Hmmmm....geezum crow no one has commented yet on this post???

No good throwing waxes out there?....now really.....

Well today is Saturday, maybe everyone is too busy and i'm too antsy waiting for some answers....or maybe I'm just bored...lol

Trappeur

• Haha 3

Candybee I just lit up your Christmas Clove you sent to me and it's a quick great throwing jar...

I can't remember where you said you get your wax from...you said somewhere but I can't find it.

Can you tell a little about it like where would be your starting point to pour.   Didn't you say that the

candle burns down first and then out?   Also since I don't color my candles, would you see the crystallization?

That doesn't matter to me if you don't see the crystals.   hey I just might try a few dyed.

Trappeur (thanks Candybee)

• Like 1

Don't get all twitter-pated yet. I just got up from my Saturday after market nap....

Let's see, I get great HT and CT from my glass glow palm, or any palm for that matter. 

I think one of the best throwing, or a couple of the best throwing paraffin waxes I ever used or heard about are any of the old J waxes such as J223 (now IGI 4633) or the super soft Comfort Blend IGI 4627.

The only soy I ever got an exceptional throw from was the old Ecosoya pillar blend. However, that blend has been reincarnated and is back on the market once again with its original name Ecosoya Pillar Blend.

That's my opinion based on my experience.

20 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

Candybee I just lit up your Christmas Clove you sent to me and it's a quick great throwing jar...

I can't remember where you said you get your wax from...you said somewhere but I can't find it.

Can you tell a little about it like where would be your starting point to pour.   Didn't you say that the

candle burns down first and then out?   Also since I don't color my candles, would you see the crystallization?

That doesn't matter to me if you don't see the crystals.   hey I just might try a few dyed.

Trappeur (thanks Candybee)

Thank you. That clove is the straight clove from Fillmore. Its really nice but no one seemed to pay me any mind but you.

I currently get my glass glow from C&S in Quakertown, PA. They are the closest to me and I usually get my wax shipped and at my door in 2 days or less. No you don't have to color it and with or without color you will still get the beautiful crystalization patterns. So use glass containers and not tins with palm.

Also, palm is finicky about proper heating and pouring temps, so heat high to 200-210 degrees F and pour as hot as you can. I heat to 210 or higher and pour at about 205-210. So for me that means taking my hot wax directly from my melter into a pour pot and putting the pour pot on a 300 degree flat griddle plate. This keeps the wax hot while I add fragrance and color. Palm will give you beautiful crystal patterns throughout if you heat it properly and cool it properly. 

I place my jars on cookie racks or oven racks and spaced apart from one another. That way air may flow around, underneath, and over the top allowing the wax to cool evenly. Also, I don't use thick bottomed jars as these tend to cool the wax too fast at the bottom of the jar leaving about a half inch of the wax uncrystalized.

Once my wax is poured and the top layer has crusted over but the wax is still slushy inside I do the "jar flip" allowing the air pocket to go to the bottom of the jar where it will no longer effect the candle burn and won't be a problem.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

I went for a nap at 1:00 this afternoon Candybee and just got up at 7:00...so I'm wide eyed alert!   Am heating up some wax to get candles going for orders.  I'll  be up to 2:00 as usual now..but that's ok.   Got my basement woodstove cranked up with more wood, just loaded up a wheel barrow of logs for it.   Now I'm getting a fire going behind my easy chair, got my candles going and glowing.   I heard Tuesday we are supposed to get 4 to 7" of snow.    Omg, that will be a disaster and I'll be stuck here as everything shuts down and I won't even be able to get down the mountain.   But that's ok.   Cabin Fever is a natural for me.   As long as I have my propane tank with gas and since I don't have a heating system in my house, I'm good to go with the wood.  Oh yes, I have plenty of "happy pills too"..... The other day, a neighbor dropped off a cord of wood to me.    He is so nice this 70 year old man and he even made home made chicken stew he brought me with all his farm raised vegetables he grows in his yard.   I love to eat like that.   I'll be good to go if we get hit with the storm.   I have my Reeces peanut butter cups and ton's of other goodies too.   The only bad thing that happens is when I lose power, but I have backup big jugs of water ready to flush the toilet.   It's been very cold here.   The putty tats stay cuddled up warm in the many cat beds on the porch and a few come in.   You should see when I have a fire going in the fireplace here.   They are all gather around the hearth as they love fires.   Now I do have heating pads on the beds on the porch for them too.   Geesh, I wonder where the possums have been lately since it is so cold here as I haven't seen any these past few day.

Here is a picture I just snapped this afternoon....They are cuddlers.   The more cats in a box the more they like it.   They are all in a heated box but still wrap themselves around one another.   Just such cutie patooties!

CIMG2144.thumb.JPG.1de62c51551d6e081a019d858b4bad91.JPG

Here is Freckles waiting as I start a fire.

CIMG2148.thumb.JPG.f1ad0cfeb3257c7513cf22fab1e4fb7d.JPG

• Like 6

Ok, thanks bunches Candybee.

I'm ordering some more new jars from C&S and I'll get a small bag of the palm if they offer it that way.

Your a doll.  Thanks for instructions!

Keep warm!

Oh yeah, it this wax slab or another way?

Trappeur

• Like 1

Palm wax comes in small white beads. Easy to shovel out of the bag with a large pot or plastic cup. No slab so no need to cut it up. Just dip in your pot/cup to get the beads. The beads are also light as a feather so just be careful not to spill them. LOL

PS - When I order palm wax by the 55 lb case, I put the box long side up and open one end, then open the bag inside leaving the opened bag inside the box as its a good container to leave the wax in. Hope that makes sense. I never take the bag of wax out of its shipping box. Just stand it on end and open. I can also push and pull the open box around in my kitchen on candle making days and putting it back in the corner out of the way on non candlemaking days.

• Like 1

BTW--- kitties look fat and healthy and sweet all cuddled up together in their heated box. Love how you put in a nice comfy dog bed in there for them. I use heating pads for my Gypsy Doodle's electric beds. Keeps her warm and toasty. Just making sure I put a bed and blanket between her and the heating pad so she doesn't get the direct heat like you did with yours.

Hi ya Forest!

Not a good thrower?   Ok, I'll ditch that one as i was thinking about it.

Wicking I can usually (I said usually) accomplish.....

Thanks for the update though!

So are you making spring candles now or summer?   By the way Forest,  you are so right ever since you started that post of how wax burns differently in seasons and I found that subject very interesting.

When you coming back up here to my neck of the woods?   Don't forget we have a date to get together when you do.....;)

Trappeur

13 hours ago, Trappeur said:

...wax that has NO complications..

Hi @Trappeur.

I don't even think that exists anymore, LOL. If it does, I want to find it too, LOL. :lol:

Just off the top of my head, the wax that has given me the best and most constant strong c&h scent throw is the Ultra Coconut Wax blend from General Wax. But and this is a big but (heehee), it's a very soft wax. I stopped playing with it because of that but I was going to try adding paraffin with it to see if that would harden it up. I have not tested that yet. General Wax recommended that I add a Micro wax to it or a wax hardener and I did but it didn't work, wax was still too soft. So, it's easy to work with and a great throwing wax, or at least it was several months ago, but very soft.

10 hours ago, Trappeur said:

When you coming back up here to my neck of the woods?   Don't forget we have a date to get together when you do.....;)

Trappeur

When it's not cold and rainy, but nothing would make me happier than sitting and talking candles with you. I thought of another angle to your question; I believe the HT is probably similar for all waxes if they are given enough time to cure, but different waxes cure at different rates. 464 seems to take about a year to be fully cured, by this time next year I'll know how long 6006 takes. From the little I have read on this board I think Palm wax cures quickly. Just my thoughts on the subject. I would test some other waxes but 6006 can be a very jealous wax, and I don't want to upset her.

• Like 1

@Trappeur, if you really want a wax that throws like crazy, you have got to try Candlewic's CBL-125!!!

It's soooo easy to use, it's not finicky about pouring temp at all, it's a single-pour, wicks like a dream with HTPs, and oh my gosh the HT is fantastic! I'm burning a 16oz apothecary jar double wicked with HTP 73, 7% Carrot Cake from Aztec, and it is filling my whole downstairs level. I love this wax!

I agree with @Candybee about palm wax, they Crystal Palm 1 from Candlewic is my #2 favorite wax. I think the CT is superior to CBL-125, and the HT is comparable. For bakery I prefer the 125, for everything else the palm is excellent. I don't always color my palm wax, and I think the crystals look just as pretty. I make my daughter a Jack Frost (vanilla and mint) type candle with Crystal Palm, and I keep it white, and it is gorgeous with that particular FO. Oh and wicking the Palm is super easy, I have found I don't need to wick up or down dependent of the FO - once you find the correct wick for your jar, you are good to go! CSNs have worked great for me, on advice from @Candybee.

• Like 2

Sarah,   can you give me like an idea like what jar you use for an example and then what size htp wick you would use for it in the CB125.

I have tons of htp wicks and cd wicks which I use mainly.   Can't remember without looking it up, but is that a soy or what?   Is it slab or easy pour pellets.

I use the pint canning jar and 16oz country comfort for example.   You use any of these jars?

Also how bout curing?   2 weeks?

Trappeur

Edited by Trappeur

The best throwing and least complications for me is American Soy Organics millenium. Used to be Enchanted Lites millenium when I used it.  I only switched to 464 because the millenium cost is too high, for me  (after shipping).  Not a big change from 464 as far as wicking and pour etc, just BETTER results, less cure time, prettier tops, etc etc.   I really think you'd like it Trapp!  Candlesoylutions sell it also.   Pour is much cooler tho, at about 110

Edited by franu61
added pour temp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sarah S said:

@Trappeur, if you really want a wax that throws like crazy, you have got to try Candlewic's CBL-125!!!

It's soooo easy to use, it's not finicky about pouring temp at all, it's a single-pour, wicks like a dream with HTPs, and oh my gosh the HT is fantastic! I'm burning a 16oz apothecary jar double wicked with HTP 73, 7% Carrot Cake from Aztec, and it is filling my whole downstairs level. I love this wax!

I agree with @Candybee about palm wax, they Crystal Palm 1 from Candlewic is my #2 favorite wax. I think the CT is superior to CBL-125, and the HT is comparable. For bakery I prefer the 125, for everything else the palm is excellent. I don't always color my palm wax, and I think the crystals look just as pretty. I make my daughter a Jack Frost (vanilla and mint) type candle with Crystal Palm, and I keep it white, and it is gorgeous with that particular FO. Oh and wicking the Palm is super easy, I have found I don't need to wick up or down dependent of the FO - once you find the correct wick for your jar, you are good to go! CSNs have worked great for me, on advice from @Candybee.

I am not surprised about the CBL 125. Its one of CW's custom blends. I have to agree wholeheatedly that when you buy a wax custom blended by CW it is the most consistently performing wax you will come across. That is what I love about their container palm custom blend. I can rely on it always being consistent and performing exactly the same every single time. Period!!

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Candybee said:

I am not surprised about the CBL 125. Its one of CW's custom blends. I have to agree wholeheatedly that when you buy a wax custom blended by CW it is the most consistently performing wax you will come across. That is what I love about their container palm custom blend. I can rely on it always being consistent and performing exactly the same every single time. Period!!

Well, I'm loving what you said Candybee and Sarah.   This wax is turning me on more and more I read upon it and hear about it.   Thanks so much.

Trappeur

1 hour ago, Trappeur said:

Who is the wax jealous of Forest? lol

So 464 takes a year?   lol....your funny

Didn't know if you knew but the 20tureen I have mastered that wicking....double wicking...

Trappeur

My 6006 doesn't like it if I look at other waxes, she gets all bent out of shape and hard to wick😉. I found a candle I made with 464 that was a year old and had almost no HT after a two week cure, at one year the HT was amazing, I doubt any wax could do better. I've seen your 20oz tureens. I'm saving that project for later in the year, I'm confident I can double wick the 20oz I was close on the 11oz, but my smallest wick was just a little too big, although if my FO needed wicking up I could probably make it work.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sarah S said:

Sarah, do you feel the CW container palm compares to glass glow?  So you use 2 different waxes in your candles and customers do not seem to mind?