Omg! Wait till you hear this

Trappeur

This is a perfect example of so many times people who come here and ask the same questions over and over and why we make suggestions and the reasons why or why we don't approve of what anyone is doing when starting out in a business of making and selling candles.

I just recently right b/4 Thanksgiving lost a nice account I had that I sell the pint canning jar candles to.   I didn't have the account too long as I had just landed it - but it was a great account of which she did quite well selling my candles there of which I private label too.  The reason I lost the account was because the owner decided to make candles like mine because she saw how much business she was doing with the candle line.   And this happened right before Thanksgiving as I called her one day to see what scents I should plan on making for her since the season was here and I had to get going on the Thanksgiving, Fall and Christmas line.   And I had just finished also some new holiday label designs for her just for the season like I usually do that I was ready to order that day.   Well, long story short she said she was sorry but she decided that she wanted to make candles....ok...I thought...no problem, it is what it is and you can't stop someone for wanting to try something different and she would make more money also on the candles with her making them herself.   Well I thought it was very very odd as I knew or supposedly knew this was not going to be an easy task with someone just starting out....she didn't know what wax, what wicks, oils or anything about the business, so I figured it would be a year or longer for her to get her feet wet and thought I would start her holiday order as it would be a while b/4 I was out of there.   Well, for someone not knowing anything about the business she planned on getting candles made and out on the floor in 2 weeks.....after all, how hard is it to pour some oil in some wax and shove a wick in, plop on a label and there you have your candle!    Right? hahahahahaha  But she was serious!   She listed it on her site a new candle line emerging soon.   Made local right here in this town.....Unbelievable....couldn't believe what I was hearing and actually reading...And she did it.   I even questioned her on how in the world could she run a busy shop, buy for shop, manage employees and have the time to make candles?  She said she had 2 days off a week and she would be making them on her day off.....Good God....the more I heard, the more unbelievable it was.   But she did it.

Ok, so now I'm not doing candles anymore for her but  I did sign off very graciously and left in very nice standing with her and told her good luck and should she decide that she doesn't want to make any more candles I would still make them for her.   That's just the way I am.  No need to be nasty or anything.

Now the best part....

I went with a friend yesterday and stopped by her shop and did see all the candles she is making and not bad a job she did and she even has a lot beautifully colored.   So while my friend is shopping, her and I are talking about the candles.   I found out she is using 464 and cd wicks all from C.S.

Now I start to pickup jars and start asking questions.  She has the jars that I was making for her, the pint canning.  Now here come my questions of how she is making them....very interesting....I ask what wick she uses and this is what she says.

The pint canning jar a cd 18 (wow!)   the squatty 16oz canning jar a cd 22 or cd 24, the quart regular mouth canning jar a cd 18 and another style jar of which she uses a cd 24...I said wow!   And they don't burn hot?    Nope she says all clean all the way.  No way I can tell you are any of these wicks the right size as I make em!    All so overwicked, it isn't funny.   And does she test burn?   Nope....she tells her customers she is just starting out in candles and should they not burn right, just let her know....Cure time....none and she says they burn good some of them and some not so good, but says her customers understand...ha ha ha.....what can I say?  And she melts all in her microwave..... What she does, is goes by CS wick sizing chart and sticks the wicks in what they suggest.  My last words to her are she is looking at fires waiting to start and possible lawsuits if she continues to make candles as she does....What could I say?   I'm not about to divulge my process or formulas and tell wick sizes, I'm sorry..

....but isn't this just something?

Trappeur

• Haha 5
  • Confused 1

58 minutes ago, Trappeur said:

I'm not about to divulge my process or formulas and tell wick sizes, I'm sorry..

....but isn't this just something?

Trappeur

Wow, wow! That's a scary story, she has no idea what she has gotten herself into. It's funny and yet kinda sad, LOL. Give it some time and she will be begging you to make her candles again or will be too ashamed to face you and find someone else to make them for her. You're exactly right, I wouldn't tell her anything either. You'll have to keep us posted on what happens, LOL.

😳 I think she is trying to save money by making the candles herself but if she gets in trouble, it'll be more money she has to dish out than getting a safe burning tested candles from you. 

I'm curious but, how did she price it? are the candles she made priced cheaper than the ones she got from you?  

2 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

@Trappeur Did that other couple who wanted you to share all your candle-making knowledge ever get their candle business going?  The ones you met with at their house this past year.

GoldieMN

I don't know about the other couple.    But that couple did go to this store to ask them more information about my candles like what size wicks do I use in my candles.   I'm not so sure that she is telling me the truth to be honest if she is making them or possibly the other couple she is now ordering from them....I just have an uneasy feeling about this whole thing.

Trappeur

I should be shocked but I'm not.  Unfortunately I see this all the time, even huge companies have candles that burn way too hot, wicks way too big and I have to wonder if they test.  Everyone thinks it's just what you said melt add fo and plop in a wick.  I'm very thankful when I started I had a mentor and shortly after I found some great candle groups online including this one.  I guess she will learn the hard way or just get lucky and nothing will ever happen to her.

I hope that shop owner has good liability insurance!   I actually thought the same as her when I started making candles (I don't sell...just make them for me and friends).  How difficult can making a candle be?  Get a jar, plop in a wick, add some fragrance, melt some wax...fill jar and bob's your uncle!  Perfect candle....not!   I think its been 3 or 4 years for me still trying to perfect it..  

Keep on good terms with her....or if there is another similar shop nearby, go to them and offer your candles to them.  I used to make clocks, and would go to all the "tourist" towns near where I live and offer them my clock and would tell them, "If you decide to carry my clocks, I will not sell to anyone else in your town".  The first shop I went to in each town took my clocks.   Clocks were much easier than a good quality candle..lol.

I am thinking her candle buying customers are going to notice the difference in the burn (and soot buildup) and start asking her about the candles or simply quit buying them after they burned one. Bet her candle sales go down in a bit. You can't fudge quality. People notice and make up their own minds about it.