Jump to content

Recommended Posts

hi all,

can anyone explain why some fragrance oils cause headaches?  i've been researching online and found out why but not exactly what ingredient or chemical causes the headache itself...

can anyone recommend fragrance oils or suppliers for someone with a sensitive nose?

who are your favorite suppliers for natural fragrance oils?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you getting headaches while making the candles or in burning them?  I know some people are very sensitive to scent and some are to different types of waxes - my sister cannot burn paraffin candles they make her sick literally 

 

If your getting headaches while making candles Wear a respirator and you won’t get headaches and you will be protecting your lungs 

 

natural fragrance oils would only be found in essential oils and they are pretty pricey for the amount needed to scent a candle but there are many suppliers that carry good quality ones 

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, moonshine said:

Are you getting headaches while making the candles or in burning them?  I know some people are very sensitive to scent and some are to different types of waxes - my sister cannot burn paraffin candles they make her sick literally 

 

If your getting headaches while making candles Wear a respirator and you won’t get headaches and you will be protecting your lungs 

 

natural fragrance oils would only be found in essential oils and they are pretty pricey for the amount needed to scent a candle but there are many suppliers that carry good quality ones 

 

terrible headaches while making them. i'm wondering if synthetic fragrances in general cause headaches and if working with natural oils would be better.  i don't get headaches while burning them. i use C3 and the heat throw is 60% existent.

Link to post
Share on other sites

You really need a respirator 

once you get used to it you won’t even want to try making without 

essential oils are super strong when they hit hot wax - stronger than FO, you might still get headaches and even though they are “natural” they can be super harmful as also if you get too much in your system 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can only speak from my experience, I've not researched this particular issue to get any solid facts. I have started using a mask when making candles and melts because it is a safe practice, I feel protected and I turn on the stove exhaust fan and crack open windows, I use synthetic FOs, by the way.

 

I have a history of migraine headaches and sinus problems so sometimes I can not tolerate any scents at all. I have to put off making candles if my sinuses are in an uproar. Anyway, with that said, certain scents can certainly trigger migraines and irritate sinus cavities which is what happens to me at times. I have noticed that there are certain scents, can't remember specifics and haven't nailed down a common denominator, that when I smell them it feels like my sinus cavities are raw, on fire or being scraped with a metal rake. Of course, I have to avoid them entirely or risk suffering a painful migraine. Because of my sinus issues, sometimes I have to rely on my husband's opinion on scent throw but that's another issue, LOL.

 

To avoid migraines, I take vitamin B-2 and magnesium oxide daily and it has worked like a charm and has changed my life, it's really been incredible because I use to get some form of a headache or another almost daily. I do have to increase the magnesium dosage during menstruation to avoid migraines. Don't know if this would be as helpful for a regular headache or not. I am almost migraine free now except for direct contact with a trigger such as a disagreeable FO. :frown2:

 

Anyway, I know I kinda rambled but maybe I can help you or someone else with this info. :thumbsup:

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Always wear a respirator when working with fragrance and essential oils. I never make candles without mine on. Also, make sure you are working in a well ventilated area.

 

Trying to figure out what component(s) are the culprit for your headaches would be like looking for a needle in a haystack. There are literally thousands of components that may be used in FOs. In addition to that they are proprietary blends of the manufacturer so you are not likely to find any listing of each component that went into that particular oil.

 

Be safe, wear a respirator and ventilate your candlemaking area when making candles. Your lungs will thank you for that by being given the opportunity to stay clean, pink, and healthy instead of becoming severely damaged by toxic vapors.

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jfc said:

thank you all. i'm going to shop around for a respirator. for now i'm going to see if a disposable mask would suffice. i have them laying around my house, might as well put them to use.

 

 

I got mine at Lowes. Its NIOSH approved and similar to this one 3M Respirator Mask   Keeps vapors from being breathed in.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Laura C said:

I can only speak from my experience, I've not researched this particular issue to get any solid facts. I have started using a mask when making candles and melts because it is a safe practice, I feel protected and I turn on the stove exhaust fan and crack open windows, I use synthetic FOs, by the way.

 

I have a history of migraine headaches and sinus problems so sometimes I can not tolerate any scents at all. I have to put off making candles if my sinuses are in an uproar. Anyway, with that said, certain scents can certainly trigger migraines and irritate sinus cavities which is what happens to me at times. I have noticed that there are certain scents, can't remember specifics and haven't nailed down a common denominator, that when I smell them it feels like my sinus cavities are raw, on fire or being scraped with a metal rake. Of course, I have to avoid them entirely or risk suffering a painful migraine. Because of my sinus issues, sometimes I have to rely on my husband's opinion on scent throw but that's another issue, LOL.

 

To avoid migraines, I take vitamin B-2 and magnesium oxide daily and it has worked like a charm and has changed my life, it's really been incredible because I use to get some form of a headache or another almost daily. I do have to increase the magnesium dosage during menstruation to avoid migraines. Don't know if this would be as helpful for a regular headache or not. I am almost migraine free now except for direct contact with a trigger such as a disagreeable FO. :frown2:

 

Anyway, I know I kinda rambled but maybe I can help you or someone else with this info. :thumbsup:

 

When I was a teenager my doctor had me to take vitamin B6 (pyridoxine) supplements for my migraines. Worked better than anything else I tried. This was years before there were migraine medicines on the market.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A timely topic. 

This summer, while in the thick of candle making, I developed a cough. A chronic, intermittent, dry, non-productive cough. I blamed it on the smoke in the air due to forest fires (it was very bad!). Smoke finally cleared, but the cough didn't. It got a bit better, but never went away. Then I started making soap, more with the fragrance oil, more with the coughing to the point of losing my voice and wheezing and I thought, gee whiz, this is sort of sucking. So in a desperate attempt to see if this is related to months of candle making them soap making, I packed away everything into the basement and have been scent free in the house for a few days. Still coughing. Might have to give it more time.

I do not have a range hood not a respirator. But FINALLY getting smart (too little too late) on my last two candle pours, I took the hot wax and the FO outside onto the porch and mixed the two there. Outside. Stirred it in good, outside. Had much less throat and lung irritation. This sad tale is to verify that these oils are no joke and use of the proper equipment (respirators) is a solid idea. But as others have said, a 'natural' oil is in no way guaranteed to be less irritating! The assumption that they are 'better' is often wrong. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot to mention liquid dye vapors. I just recently started using liquid dye and man, they are strong smelling.

Definitely need a mask or respirator when working with all this stuff. :ph34r:

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ramr said:

A timely topic. 

This summer, while in the thick of candle making, I developed a cough. A chronic, intermittent, dry, non-productive cough. I blamed it on the smoke in the air due to forest fires (it was very bad!). Smoke finally cleared, but the cough didn't. It got a bit better, but never went away. Then I started making soap, more with the fragrance oil, more with the coughing to the point of losing my voice and wheezing and I thought, gee whiz, this is sort of sucking. So in a desperate attempt to see if this is related to months of candle making them soap making, I packed away everything into the basement and have been scent free in the house for a few days. Still coughing. Might have to give it more time.

I do not have a range hood not a respirator. But FINALLY getting smart (too little too late) on my last two candle pours, I took the hot wax and the FO outside onto the porch and mixed the two there. Outside. Stirred it in good, outside. Had much less throat and lung irritation. This sad tale is to verify that these oils are no joke and use of the proper equipment (respirators) is a solid idea. But as others have said, a 'natural' oil is in no way guaranteed to be less irritating! The assumption that they are 'better' is often wrong. 

 

Happened to me. After about 5 years of candlemaking I noticed I had a "smokers" cough. I used to smoke and quit many years ago because of the chronic cough I used to get. So I knew what a smokers cough was like. This propelled me to get a respirator pronto. As soon as I started using it my cough went away. Before I wore it I would cough for days after making a large batch of candles. Makes me cringe to think what could happen to my lungs if I didn't get the respirator.

 

You can't see the vapors from the fragrance oils and wax as you are working with your wax but they are there and without protection you are breathing those vapors into your lungs.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Absolutely vapors from Natural oils can be harmful as well.  I've had the pleasure of touring 2 different EO plants where they make distillates, b & b and bottle Essential Oils.  Every person working in closed rooms has on a respirator, goggles and gloves.  Those medical masks will not work, they will keep you from actually inhaling particulates but the smell will still be there and can still trigger headaches.  I learned the hard way!

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

Absolutely vapors from Natural oils can be harmful as well.  I've had the pleasure of touring 2 different EO plants where they make distillates, b & b and bottle Essential Oils.  Every person working in closed rooms has on a respirator, goggles and gloves.  Those medical masks will not work, they will keep you from actually inhaling particulates but the smell will still be there and can still trigger headaches.  I learned the hard way!

 

This. You must have a respirator that says on the label that it protects against vapors. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

Absolutely vapors from Natural oils can be harmful as well.  I've had the pleasure of touring 2 different EO plants where they make distillates, b & b and bottle Essential Oils.  Every person working in closed rooms has on a respirator, goggles and gloves.  Those medical masks will not work, they will keep you from actually inhaling particulates but the smell will still be there and can still trigger headaches.  I learned the hard way!

 

I agree on this about the masks. However, I have found that these work because of the filters but only if you are doing a small batch. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076R8HSM2

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 5 months later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...