2019 Candle Trends

Although I haven't put it in wax, I do have a sample of a tomato plant fragrance.  I do like the smell on my hands when I handle a tomato plant but wondered if anyone would want to smell that all day.  I need to get away from this thinking and try a few of these types of fragrances to see how customers respond.  Thanks for sharing!

GoldieMN

Thanks for sharing Candybee.   The part about all the new styles of vessels/containers I sure wish these suppliers we all use would jump on the band wagon and get these containers into their warehouses so that we COULD get them to offer to the public.   It never seems to happen and if you can find some, the prices are just too outrageous and most of them are not registered with the candle association as far as using for the purpose of burning even though so many do use them..that part scares me.....  I admit I do buy containers such as these and do make just lovely candles, but I make strictly for me and not to the public.  I love colors, but I think what they mentioned as far as colors go has been around forever so I don't think that is anything new myself.

The different collections of the different catagories of scent has been emerging for years and it is true that the "outdoor/nature/earthy scents"  are what people wanting and I agree on this.   Thanks for sharing!

Trappeure

I like the features of product sustainability, reuse of candle containers, and scents that evoke nature and emote warmth trend. Makes a lot of sense to me. (I have been eyeballing those Ball drink containers with the handle).

Not sure how we can incorporate iridescence into jars. They would be hard to find and probably too expensive to use.  Wouldn't it be cool if there was iridescent dye colors you could put in the candles instead?!!

Although I suppose if you could find some kind of candle sleeves or holders that are iridescent that could work.

Edited by Candybee

Thanks for sharing Candybee.   The part about all the new styles of vessels/containers I sure wish these suppliers we all use would jump on the band wagon and get these containers into their warehouses so that we COULD get them to offer to the public.   It never seems to happen and if you can find some, the prices are just too outrageous and most of them are not registered with the candle association as far as using for the purpose of burning even though so many do use them..that part scares me.....  I admit I do buy containers such as these and do make just lovely candles, but I make strictly for me and not to the public.  I love colors, but I think what they mentioned as far as colors go has been around forever so I don't think that is anything new myself.

The different collections of the different catagories of scent has been emerging for years and it is true that the "outdoor/nature/earthy scents"  are what people wanting and I agree on this.   Are" Lush" scents really what people want?   I'm talking about the company called Lush.   I see people come here to the forum and ask about duplications of their scents.   I've smelled a few and I think they "stink".   I can't stand designer/cologne scents.   To me number one they all smell the same and I get nausea just picking one up to smell.   And barbeque scents I've been wanting to try,but really I can't imagine wanting my house to smell like barbeque spare ribs or bacon or a spaghetti sauce.    And wine scents, oh god, now who in h.....ll wants their house to smell like a wino who lives there.....???  I noticed the other day some beer scents...I think it was Natures Garden I'm thinking....Now that repulses me.   Now I have a shop that sells lots of wine scents like chardonnay...Peeeewwww!   Talk about nastiness?   Geesh.....Now Vanilla Champange is not bad a smell, but still.   Goldie go ahead and get a nice tomato scent.   I have 2 that I'm going to try.   I have CS tomato leaf.   You should see me when I go food shopping.   I go in the produce section and am always picking up the tomatoes and smelling them to get that whiff of the freshly picked tomato on the vine.   I love that scent and I could see it as a summer kitchen scent.   I really could.  Let us know how they turn out if you try.   

Trappeur

Thanks for sharing!

On 1/25/2019 at 2:17 AM, Trappeur said:

The part about all the new styles of vessels/containers I sure wish these suppliers we all use would jump on the band wagon and get these containers into their warehouses so that we COULD get them to offer to the public.   It never seems to happen and if you can find some, the prices are just too outrageous and most of them are not registered with the candle association as far as using for the purpose of burning even though so many do use them..that part scares me.....  I admit I do buy containers such as these and do make just lovely candles, but I make strictly for me and not to the public.  I love colors, but I think what they mentioned as far as colors go has been around forever so I don't think that is anything new myself.

Lucky you aren't trying to find containers in Canada...all we have available is mason jars and a couple of other styles that have been around for decades..  Boring lids, nothing new.  I can't understand why Canadian suppliers don't get with the times.  By the way...Love your new jar and container from Candles and Supplies!!

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/1/24/18196388/unilever-pepsico-procter-gamble-reusable-packaging?fbclid=IwAR0ctiXlehJqc3TFNNE038BkEb_YoXoz3sWKJsUSCTek4zpofjPyAOTmSB0

Reusable, refillable container experiments coming to a store near you.  Though, ice cream seems fine in those waxed paper containers 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 1

12 hours ago, TallTayl said:

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2019/1/24/18196388/unilever-pepsico-procter-gamble-reusable-packaging?fbclid=IwAR0ctiXlehJqc3TFNNE038BkEb_YoXoz3sWKJsUSCTek4zpofjPyAOTmSB0

Reusable, refillable container experiments coming to a store near you.  Though, ice cream seems fine in those waxed paper containers 🤷🏻‍♀️

Those are actually cute and the metal may keep the ice cream colder when the container is sitting outside the freezer. Not sure about the biodegradability of the tins thou and if they would really leave a smaller carbon footprint.

22 minutes ago, Candybee said:

Those are actually cute and the metal may keep the ice cream colder when the container is sitting outside the freezer. Not sure about the biodegradability of the tins thou and if they would really leave a smaller carbon footprint.

Might stop my family from microwaving the ice cream to quickly soften it... I hate that... the next serving after refreshing is awful. 🤣

as for carbon footprint, righty-o. How can stainless steel be cheaper to produce? And where would we refill? Good idea, just not enough infrastructure yet.

i can see a cottage industry of upcycling used containers to other things happening.  Then we will all get fed up with that and dump giant wads of it after a while (remembering the great Capri sun bags disposal effort of 2004 when the upcycled tote bags got old. ). 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Like 2

Is it stainless steele? I just read metal tin. If its stainless steele I saw a nature show on how it remains intact for hundreds of years without degrading. Iron rusts but stainless steele is like the energizer bunny of the metal world.

Which leaves me wondering if after a while people start getting fed up with all these steele containers continuing to collect. I have a premonition that these containers will lose their cache in a very short life span and could be seen in some future apocalyptic movies or show like TWD where survivors are recycling them. :laugh2:

On 1/26/2019 at 12:11 PM, Gary in Canada said:

Lucky you aren't trying to find containers in Canada...all we have available is mason jars and a couple of other styles that have been around for decades..  Boring lids, nothing new.  I can't understand why Canadian suppliers don't get with the times.  By the way...Love your new jar and container from Candles and Supplies!!

Well, Gary, the most successful business ideas begin by "solving a problem".  I think it's why most of started pouring our own candles - the big company brands sucked.  Maybe see what it would take to start importing and re-selling some glass.  Lots of wholesalers in New York.  Just sayin'.

On 1/27/2019 at 9:58 PM, TallTayl said:

OMG I was JUST going to post this!  I really hope this Loop idea takes off.  I always encourage customers to bring their empty jars back for a discounted price refill.  Our planet is drowning in plastic!  I really want to find a creative solution to plastic clam shells for wax melts. Also replaced my glass lids with the Olde Tyme metal lids from Fillmore and added a sticker on the inside of the lid encouraging customers to reuse/recycle.   I'll scoot this convo over to packaging.

On 1/30/2019 at 2:49 PM, Arch Rock said:

Well, Gary, the most successful business ideas begin by "solving a problem".  I think it's why most of started pouring our own candles - the big company brands sucked.  Maybe see what it would take to start importing and re-selling some glass.  Lots of wholesalers in New York.  Just sayin'.

Maybe you should get into the business and sell jars Arch?   You know you would get tons of orders from us here....I have thought about it a time or 2....Actually I checked out selling wax one time but you really need a big pallet or (pallets) to get going on it.    Geesh, I wonder what the mark up is on wax.   You think double?

Trappeur

Dear Lord, I don't need any more headaches Trapp but thanks for the idea.  I think the only way to make money on jars would be to buy direct from a manufacturer AND buy a Sunshine load to boot.  You've got the overhead of keeping them in a warehouse, etc.  And yes, I have  feeling the markup on wax is probably close to double.

Thanks Candy!  Good info for anyone really.  I'm drawn to metal especially copper (old hand hammered is a fav) and so many home accessories have gone this way over the past few years.  I have a huge copper pot that I've considered pouring wax into for myself of course because the pot is pre 1880 but I'm afraid wax & flame will ruin it.

On 1/28/2019 at 10:23 AM, TallTayl said:

Might stop my family from microwaving the ice cream to quickly soften it... I hate that... the next serving after refreshing is awful. 🤣

LOL  I keep thinking of what you said your family does.  I have to have my ice cream rock solid to enjoy it so I feel for you.  By the way, my granddaughter introduced me to Haagendazs' two java ice creams.  OMG!  :drool:

GoldieMN

• Haha 1