Shelf Life: Whipped Shea with Hemp Seed Oil

BettyCrikey

I want to try a new formulation I came up with. Very simple. 70% Shea 30% Hemp Seed Oil. 2% of that would be 60% Tea tree and 40% Sweet Orange Oil. Plus Vitamin E and Arrowroot to cut the greasiness.

My question is shelf life. I found out that hemp seed oil needs to be refrigerated. Does this mean my Whipped butter containing hemp seed oil needs to be refrigerated as well or do I tell whoever is gifted this to use it within two months max?

Edited by BettyCrikey

Hemp generally is “good” for about a year from date of production, give or take. ROE, if used at too high a rate can actually speed up rancidity. Some people add vitamin E to “preserve” hemp, but it too can speed oxidation resulting in quicker rancidity.

Likewise, the way it’s been stored, processed, transported, how long open, etc. factor in.  IME, 6 months, tops for hemp typically, before it starts to smell really off. 

If set on using hemp, id make fresh for each order, package in very small amounts that will be used within a few months. Instructions to store in the fridge is not a bad idea. 

I say go for it. Sounds like it could be nice. With that much shea it could end up with a grainy texture until the mix 'melts' after skin contact. If it were me I would definitely add some vitamin E acetate. It does help preserve a bit and should help. I would still refridgerate until I am ready to use. Since its winter my metallic bathroom cabinet keeps my balm and butter concoctions pretty cool so they last okay. Summer is a different story thou.