What’s safe to add to wax melts?

So I’ve seen glitter, mica powers and little sprinkles added to create stunning wax melts. I’ve been searching for an answer but can’t find one anywhere! 

If you use sprinkles where do you get them from?  I’m my mind I thought that the sprinkles were wax and you’d just buy them online which would melt with the wax melt in the burner but the more I look into it it just looks like shop bought ones you add onto cakes.

Basically I want to know what’s safe to add to/on top of your wax melt.

Thanks in advance :-)

6 minutes ago, Sam D said:

Thank you! Guessing they just stay as the are and sink to the bottom once burning? 

It depends on the density of the sprinkle. I have sugar sprinkles on mini cupcakes that melt right along with the wax.

I've recently started playing around with making wax melts myself. That's a good question @Sam D, I have not found a lot of information about this either. Just from looking at pictures and from wax melt recipes I have found, looks like you can use just about anything as long as it's not toxic or flammable. Such as baking decorations like the colored sprinkles, spices, glitters, micas, bath salts, coffee beans, etc.

Here's a few recipes and there's a lot more online.

https://www.naturesgardencandles.com/rustic-wax-melts-recipe

https://www.naturesgardencandles.com/pumpkin-cheesecake-wax-melts-recipe

https://www.naturesgardencandles.com/pecan-pie-wax-melts-recipe

Here's links to other wax melt discussions:

Regular sprinkles from the baking sections is what I use and they just sink to the bottom of the warmer once the wax is fully melted with no harm.  I have also used craft glitter in the past but will no longer.  Myself and many others feel the glitter ruins our warmers as it almost embeds itself into the hot bowl/plate (sitting on top).  I have scrubbed it multiple times with no luck of getting that burnt look out.  Some recommend the magic eraser so may try that.  Glitter also tends to get very messy for some customers so I am going to just do away with it directly on wax.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Fireside said:

Regular sprinkles from the baking sections is what I use and they just sink to the bottom of the warmer once the wax is fully melted with no harm.  I have also used craft glitter in the past but will no longer.  Myself and many others feel the glitter ruins our warmers as it almost embeds itself into the hot bowl/plate (sitting on top).  I have scrubbed it multiple times with no luck of getting that burnt look out.  Some recommend the magic eraser so may try that.  Glitter also tends to get very messy for some customers so I am going to just do away with it directly on wax.

If you paint on the melts edible glitter after they are done, then it will enhance the look of the melts with very little mess and will melt with the wax so no mess on the dish. :)

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, aptommo said:

If you paint on the melts edible glitter after they are done, then it will enhance the look of the melts with very little mess and will melt with the wax so no mess on the dish. :)

Why thank you for this advice :) 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fireside said:

Well now I feel better as I personally loved the look, but not the other issues I mentioned.  All about using the right type I see!

I use both but I really do prefer the edible for the same reasons you mentioned! :)

(also edible cake toppers are a nice enhancements if you don't have a bunch of embed molds) 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aptommo said:

I use both but I really do prefer the edible for the same reasons you mentioned! :)

(also edible cake toppers are a nice enhancements if you don't have a bunch of embed molds) 

I have used those as well, very adorable.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I’m just starting out making melts and I wondered if I can ask a question re glitter.  I have added glitter right into the wax and that’s been fine; but how do I go about adding the bigger bits of glitter to the tops of bars? 

Do you have to re-melt a little bit? If so, how do you not lose the bar shape? 

Edited by LindseyB

6 hours ago, LindseyB said:

I’m just starting out making melts and I wondered if I can ask a question re glitter.  I have added glitter right into the wax and that’s been fine; but how do I go about adding the bigger bits of glitter to the tops of bars? 

Do you have to re-melt a little bit? If so, how do you not lose the bar shape? 

You can hit the tops with a heat gun, just dont leave it on the bar to long.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...