Room Temperature Test Result

This test was done with 6006 in 8oz tins with 51 zinc core wicks cured for two weeks. Last summer one candle was burned in the garage at 88° while another was burned in the house at 78°. This week a third candle was burned in the house at 58°. After 0ne hour the MP diameters were 2.4, 2.0, and 1.5 inches respectively. The candle at 88° achieved a FMP after two hours, the candle at 78° achieved a FMP after three hours, but the candle at 58°did not achieved a FMP until the third hour of the third day of testing. After reviewing all the results from all three candles it appears that a 15° temperature difference would require wicking up, or down, a full wick size. As candle makers you can’t control the temperature other people burn your candles at, but you should be aware that temperature matters when burning candles. I doubt you will find many people who keep their house at 58° in the winter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I test all of mine at 72 degrees - that I what I find comfortable and it what (used to be?) recommended by the Dept of Energy for the best bang for your heating/cooling buck. 

You;re right in that we cannot control what the customer does as far as ambient temp (related to melt pool, wet spots, etc) nor their actual habits as using the candle. The saving grace is that they also don't know that we are trying to achieve a specific melt pool in a specific time frame, nor what constitutes a failure to a chandler. 

• Like 1