Rose scents and items, for Valentines Day and any time really?

Darbla

B&BW sent out an email about a bunch of their rose scents, and it's got me curious what all of you are cooking up for Valentines Day?  What's your favorite rose, either straight up rose or a blend of scents?  Are you making candles, body sprays & perfumes, soaps, or what?  I got Black Rose & Spice from WSP recently that I'm going to play with, and I'm sure I have some other rose FOs I need to dig out.  I don't particularly care about Valentines Day, but I would love to find some good rose scents to duplicate the hybrid tea roses I used to grow.  

I have some old Glade Spiced Rose & Vanilla tarts that I'm going to use up and get out of my way, but that's a commercially made item and not any of our handmade ones.

• Like 1

Rose scents for me are like chocolate scents - I like them, but cannot GIVE them away on a silver platter. Nobody seems to want them. I've tried for years mixing, making them unique, naming them something that has nothing to do with rose, etc., etc. Nothing works, they just do not sell for me. So since they don't sell, I don't make them anymore. 

The absolute best rose scent I have ever found though is Rose Bouquet from Peak. Smells exactly like a real rose. All others I've tried either smell of plastic, perfume or something people consider "old lady". 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I'm not a floral lover, but a good, deep Rose is lovely. My favorite for rinse-off products is Nurture's Rose Jam dupe. Sadly it's not safe to use in leave-on applications. It is wonderful in wax, but a little pricey for me to use on the regular. WSP's dupe is not nearly as good. I think Flaming carries it too, I'm going to try them next.

A little goes a long way with that one.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Heads up:  WSP has a bunch of rose scents on sale for Valentine's Day.

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/fragrance-oils/search/floral-scents.aspx?sale=1

And I am absolutely in love with their Black Rose & Spice FO (black rose, patchouli, orange zest, vanilla orchid and cinnamon leaf).  I got it several weeks ago and have been using it lately in an oil warmer and loved it so much I dabbed a drop on my wrists and I'm in scent heaven right now.  It reads very gothic to me, probably because it reminds me of something I got at a renaissance faire eons ago that was never to be seen again so I am thrilled I found something similar.  The cinnamon is strong at first and stays, but the rose does come forward later.  You can pick out all the other notes if you try, but all that is just a beautiful blend in the background.  I really did not think I would like this when I first ordered a small amount a while back and almost didn't, but I'm over the moon about it.  I could see me wearing this a lot for Fall / Halloween / Winter.  

That was the only rose I bought then, but I'm stoked to try some of the others now!  Haven't tried it in soap or candles yet so I can't speak to that, and I think my favorite application is going to be for personal scent (roll-on perfume, solid perfume, body spray, or soap) and secondarily for the house.  ❤️❤️❤️ 

Edited by Darbla
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

By the way, that B&BW one I mentioned in my first post above caused some kind of allergic reaction on me.  I got bumps all over my arms from it.  They were basically clear and invisible, not obvious to anyone else and not itchy, but it definitely felt like alligator skin when I'd run a hand over it.  I stopped when I was sure that was causing it but now I can't return it so I'm stuck with expensive crap that I had such high hopes for.  :(

I'm throwing that out there as a warning for the rest of you.

Sad but I stopped making Valentine scents, I carry Love Spell with hearts on label year round and Rose never sold well.  I used to do special Valentine blends but found I was stuck with 80% of them so I quit.  Our little town doesn't get super busy in Feb.

On 1/15/2019 at 12:37 PM, Jcandleattic said:

The absolute best rose scent I have ever found though is Rose Bouquet from Peak. Smells exactly like a real rose. All others I've tried either smell of plastic, perfume or something people consider "old lady". 

Rose Bouquet from Peak must be good and popular for Valentine's Day, it's currently out of stock.

https://peakfragrances.com/products/rose-bouquet

Peak only says on their website that their FO are "Premium fragrance oils for professional crafters and artisans.". Do you consider their FOs to be "concentrated"?

On 1/17/2019 at 9:23 AM, se2653 said:

Rose Petal Cream from CC is a beautiful scent as well

Sounds lovely. They list on their site that their FOs are concentrated, I prefer to shop for concentrated FOs. CC also has these cute tiny heart shaped tins. https://candlecocoon.com/collections/containers-and-lids/products/tiny-heart-tins

Edited by Laura C

1 hour ago, Darbla said:

Heads up:  WSP has a bunch of rose scents on sale for Valentine's Day.

http://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/fragrance-oils/search/floral-scents.aspx?sale=1

And I am absolutely in love with their Black Rose & Spice FO (black rose, patchouli, orange zest, vanilla orchid and cinnamon leaf).  I got it several weeks ago and have been using it lately in an oil warmer and loved it so much I dabbed a drop on my wrists and I'm in scent heaven right now.  It reads very gothic to me, probably because it reminds me of something I got at a renaissance faire eons ago that was never to be seen again so I am thrilled I found something similar.  The cinnamon is strong at first and stays, but the rose does come forward later.  You can pick out all the other notes if you try, but all that is just a beautiful blend in the background.  I really did not think I would like this when I first ordered a small amount a while back and almost didn't, but I'm over the moon about it.  I could see me wearing this a lot for Fall / Halloween / Winter.  

That was the only rose I bought then, but I'm stoked to try some of the others now!  Haven't tried it in soap or candles yet so I can't speak to that, and I think my favorite application is going to be for personal scent (roll-on perfume, solid perfume, body spray, or soap) and secondarily for the house.  ❤️❤️❤️ 

Darn it, headed over to WSP now... 

That sounds like my kind of floral!

4 hours ago, Laura C said:

Rose Bouquet from Peak must be good and popular for Valentine's Day, it's currently out of stock.

https://peakfragrances.com/products/rose-bouquet

Peak only says on their website that their FO are "Premium fragrance oils for professional crafters and artisans.". Do you consider their FOs to be "concentrated"?

Yes, I did consider their FO's to be concentrated, strong and very good, but for reasons you can find on the forum in other posts, I just won't purchase from Peak anymore. With that said, I am not saying anybody else shouldn't. 

• Thanks 1

I really dislike the smell of rose FO's, but I was in Bath and Body Works and I took a whiff of their Pink Petal Tea Cake candle (Pink Rose Petals, Pound Cake, Vanilla Glaze with Essential Oils). I was shocked at how much I liked it and I kept sniffing it! Would love to try and come up with that scent. Definitely could smell the pound cake and vanilla and the rose was ever so slight that the combination was perfect!

• 2 weeks later...

OOB impressions of some I got from WSP, ranked in order of how much I'm liking them:

Black Rose & Spice - see notes above

Sandalwood Rose - one of the best sandalwood scents I've ever tried.  Both notes are prominent.  'Sensuous' is a word I would apply to this.

Evelyn Rose - soft rose and greenery

English Tea Rose - that "tea" note is there, but there's something just the teeniest bit sharper about this than Evelyn Rose.  It's still great, but I think some noses are going to prefer Evelyn Rose.

Victorian Rose - has a sweet, soft, baby powderish note

Fresh Cut Roses - roses and greenery; more like what the roses from a florist smell like instead of yard-grown hybrid teas

Rose Garden - definitely lighter on the rose and other florals come through.  Not lighter in scent strength, but just that note.

Rose Cognac Sugar - brown sugary!  I'm not sure what cognac smells like, but I think it's why I'm getting brown sugar from this instead of just straight syrupy sugar.  I didn't know what to expect but I do like it.  There will be a time when I'm tired of straight rose and want to veer off on something like this.

Wild Rose - has a mint quality to it; not unattractive but veers farther from straight rose than the others do.  This may end up being my favorite for house scent.

I'll use these mostly in lotions, perfumes, and oil warmers, not candles.  To me wax and flame alter FOs more than using in those other items, so I don't expect these to change much from my OOB thoughts except that they will be more mellowed since they'll be diluted a lot.  Not a dud in the bunch; no strange or "off" notes or anything jarring.  A little sharpness here and there (probably greenery and a strong hybrid tea note) but that's to be expected when you're getting a big snootful right out of the bottle. 

I can't wait to get to using these!  The only problem is I'm still so enamored of that first one (Black Rose & Spice) I can't let go of it yet to try another!  Oh, the problems of being a FOHO......

Edited by Darbla
  • Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 11:37 AM, Jcandleattic said:

Rose scents for me are like chocolate scents - I like them, but cannot GIVE them away on a silver platter. Nobody seems to want them. I've tried for years mixing, making them unique, naming them something that has nothing to do with rose, etc., etc. Nothing works, they just do not sell for me. So since they don't sell, I don't make them anymore. 

Ditto.  Rose scents don't sell super well.  But the best, truest rose I've ever smelled was Rose Bouquet from Peak.  Outstanding - like a fresh, true rose.  Didn't smell like a Granny's attic rose.

• 2 weeks later...

With Peak gone now, do any of you know of a dupe of their Rose Bouquet?  I never tried it so I won't be able to declare if something is a dupe or not, but I'd be willing to check out your suggestions.  I think I'm going to head to the scent twins post now and see if any are mentioned there......

• 9 months later...

@Candybee I think I'm going to try your CS Red Rose and Honeysuckle Jasmine blend, and maybe Red Rose will be the straight-up rose I'm looking for since we still can't get Rose Bouquet from Peak.  Sounds like @Shari has a good blend down pat too.  @soshiegirl is the CS Rose you mentioned the same as Red Rose that Candybee mentioned?

@Sarah S did you ever try Flaming's dupe of Rose Jam and that Black Rose & Spice from WSP?  I still love it.

@Darbla, I did try Flaming's Rose Jam, I wasn't very impressed. It was strong, but kind of uninteresting. All top notes and mid note, lacking some bottom.

The best Rose Jam I've smelled in Nurture's, as I think I've mentioned. I just need to suck it up and get a small bottle.

I haven't tried the Spiced Rose from WSP yet, I actually haven't ordered from there in a long time. Nothing has excited me enough to overcome their inflated prices and that weird handling fee.