Wicking 464 and 6006

Normally I use IGI 4630 (which I love,) however I have been getting a lot of requests to make "soy candles." I guess soy is pretty big for the area that I am in. So here goes the testing! I am going to begin testing IGI 6006 and GB 464 (I've heard great things about both). I don't trust wick charts, so if anyone could give me a good starting point for these 2 types of wax, that would be very much appreciated!

I will be testing with 3" tumblers, and 7% FO. I prefer to use CDs, LX, and HTPs. TIA! 

I use GB444 I did use 464 to start with but found the melt point to be too low to sell at shows in the summer.  I ended up switching to 444.   With 444 and a 3 inch tumbler I use either CD16 or CD18.  Since it is 464 use can probably get away with CD12 or 14.

Hope they helps a little.

4 minutes ago, MilosCandles said:

I use GB444 I did use 464 to start with but found the melt point to be too low to sell at shows in the summer.  I ended up switching to 444.   With 444 and a 3 inch tumbler I use either CD16 or CD18.  Since it is 464 use can probably get away with CD12 or 14.

Hope they helps a little.

Thanks for the advice! I probably should have started out with the GB444 as I am in southern CA and the summers get hot. I will probably end up transitioning to 444 eventually if I like the 464 so hopefully the transition won't be too painful. 

Have you tried the IGI 6006 wax by any chance?

3 minutes ago, Lulu Belles said:

Thanks for the advice! I probably should have started out with the GB444 as I am in southern CA and the summers get hot. I will probably end up transitioning to 444 eventually if I like the 464 so hopefully the transition won't be too painful. 

Have you tried the IGI 6006 wax by any chance?

I have only used GB. 

I will say the throw was better with 464,  but hard to sell candles that the tops is starting to melt.  LOL

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Lulu Belles said:

I am going to begin testing IGI 6006 and GB 464

I did a test on 6006 with CD, zinc, HTP, and LX wicks and the results are in the Wax & Wick Test section of this forum. That should provide some good information, at least it is better than a wick chart:)

3 hours ago, Forrest said:

I did a test on 6006 with CD, zinc, HTP, and LX wicks and the results are in the Wax & Wick Test section of this forum. That should provide some good information, at least it is better than a wick chart:)

I found it yesterday and it was a great starting point. Thanks so much for that!

• Like 1

Be aware, since your customers are asking for soy, that 6006 is a parasoy. And its mostly parrafin. Just something to consider if weren't already aware.

I use 6006 a lot but its tough to single wick. I use several wicks depening on jar and FO combination. I sue all of these wicks in my 6006 candles:

HTP, Premier, LX, HTP, Wood, Zinc, and a couple CDs.

6 hours ago, wthomas57 said:

Be aware, since your customers are asking for soy, that 6006 is a parasoy. And its mostly parrafin. Just something to consider if weren't already aware.

I use 6006 a lot but its tough to single wick. I use several wicks depening on jar and FO combination. I sue all of these wicks in my 6006 candles:

HTP, Premier, LX, HTP, Wood, Zinc, and a couple CDs.

Could you tell me about when you use the Premiers? I have lots of those, I'm sure I tested them, but I haven't been using them.

They are similar to LX but work better for me. The issue with LX is that the wick ends up getting too tall even if it doesn't mushroom. 

Premiers, depending on the FO either curl or self combust. There aren'y a perfect wick by any means, and I still have issues and/or mushrooming with some just like any wick.

But, due to all the incremental sizing, you at least have a little better opportunity to dial in to the best possible size. Although, LX has several size options as well.

I do often have some wild differences though. In the same jar with same wax, a change in FO, can often be SEVERAL wick size differences apart. So you really have to test.  For example, I have some that take a Premier 775 and others that only need a Premir 730. They incremement by "5". So between those two candles that is an increase of 9 sizes!

And FWIW, I have descent results with Premiers in both soy and parasoy (haven't tried straight parrafin).

Premiers are also a bit pricier for me than other wicks which is a downfall as well.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, wthomas57 said:

They are similar to LX but work better for me. The issue with LX is that the wick ends up getting too tall even if it doesn't mushroom. 

Premiers, depending on the FO either curl or self combust. There aren'y a perfect wick by any means, and I still have issues and/or mushrooming with some just like any wick.

But, due to all the incremental sizing, you at least have a little better opportunity to dial in to the best possible size. Although, LX has several size options as well.

I do often have some wild differences though. In the same jar with same wax, a change in FO, can often be SEVERAL wick size differences apart. So you really have to test.  For example, I have some that take a Premier 775 and others that only need a Premir 730. They incremement by "5". So between those two candles that is an increase of 9 sizes!

And FWIW, I have descent results with Premiers in both soy and parasoy (haven't tried straight parrafin).

Premiers are also a bit pricier for me than other wicks which is a downfall as well.

Thanks, I have a good supply of them, so I should have test data on them. It may be that they didn't work well in my tureens and I gave up on them. I've been trying the LX wicks, but so far I'm not liking them.

29 minutes ago, Forrest said:

Thanks, I have a good supply of them, so I should have test data on them. It may be that they didn't work well in my tureens and I gave up on them. I've been trying the LX wicks, but so far I'm not liking them.

I've never used Taureens, but I believe they are bit wider correct? Would double wicking help or is the opening not really wide enough?

One thing for sure with 6006 is that anything past than 2.75" + mark is tough to wick without using a really big wick leading to huge flames, soot, mushrooms, etc. 

Even a Premier may not work well. I use 6006 with great success in jars at the 2.75" ish mark. For example, straigh sided jars, masons, etc... all work fine. Tumblers and larger are not satisfactory for me without double wicking (regardless of wick type)

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, wthomas57 said:

I've never used Taureens, but I believe they are bit wider correct? Would double wicking help or is the opening not really wide enough?

One thing for sure with 6006 is that anything past than 2.75" + mark is tough to wick without using a really big wick leading to huge flames, soot, mushrooms, etc. 

Even a Premier may not work well. I use 6006 with great success in jars at the 2.75" ish mark. For example, straigh sided jars, masons, etc... all work fine. Tumblers and larger are not satisfactory for me without double wicking (regardless of wick type)

Tureens are special because as the wax gets to the wide part of the container you get really strong air currents and it gets very hot. I highly recommend not trying them. I'm working with 8oz tins right now, I'm having good luck with my zincs, CDs and HTPs when they are correctly wicked, but not the LX wicks. Tomorrow I'll pour some test candles with my Premier 700s. I found my test sheets from the Tureens, they didn't work well there, but if they do better than my LXs in the tins that would be great.