Results of test burn w/ C-3

Hello, everyone! 

I'm still fairly new to the candle-making world (about three years in, give or take a year). I primarily use C-3 for my wax and I've been taking notes, testing, and reading the board and learning from you awesome individuals 😉. I *think* I've almost perfected my formula. I'm wanting a clean burn (no wax residue on the sides), minimum to no mushrooming, shorter flame, and great HT. 

I'm testing in FC's 12 oz. Elite jars (similar to the Libby status jar, I believe) using FC's Sandalwood Vanilla and the ECO wicks. I don't remember the amount of FO off the top (gotta check my notes when I get home this afternoon). The candle I tested for the jar this past weekend had an ECO 12 wick. The first day I burned it for 4 hours, the next day (Saturday), I power burned for 10 hours, and yesterday, another power burn at 10 hours. I'm satisfied with the HT; since it's C-3, I'm aware that the HT isn't going to be a great as paraffin, but it was still a nice background scent that filled an open living/dining area. The flame is higher than I would like (or is that just me?) and that the wick does mushroom, so I'm gonna try an ECO-10 wick. to see if that resolves those issues. 

Here are the pics from this weekend. 

Pic 1: After a 4-hr burn. You can see the line where the wax started, the melt pool, and the flame. 

Pic 2: After a 10-hr burn. 

Pic 3: Same timeframe as Pic 2, just a different angle. 

Pic 4: Yesterday, after a 10-hour burn. You can see the mushroom. 

For the next tester, I'm gonna stir even more slowly to prevent the tiny air bubbles, use an ECO-10 wick to see if the mushroom occurs, and to get a shorter flame height 

Thanks for all of your awesome advice!

YB

IMG_2694.jpg

IMG_2696.jpg

IMG_2698.jpg

IMG_2699.jpg

58 minutes ago, ellajoan said:

I always find the eco wicks to have crazy tall flames, no matter the wax.  I have only dabbled in C-3, but I did like the ECOs in them with my (very limited) testing.  

They do tend to have crazy flames that are pretty high. When I first lit the wick, the flame was high but then it calmed down. I have some CDs to try also. I read on either Lone Star's or CS's website that some customers were double wicking this jar with 2 ECO-4 or HTP-105, but they were using IG 6006. If I'm not satisfied with the next test, I'm giving CD a try. 

you have to remember a power burn is not an ideal burn in any circumstance. Did you trim the wick during that time? I would be surprised if you could get a small, steady flame and no mushrooming in a 10 hour continuous burn. If you find that magic wick , you will do very well! Good luck! Luxury Candle supplies (Australian comp. do wicks that are really good at self-trimming and work really nicely with their own waxes All Season Wax)

Power burns are a must in my book- you have to know how that candle is going to do if a customer lights it and walks away for the whole day - exploding glass isn’t fun 

yellow that does look too big of a wick - I would try the 10 or even a 8 and see if that flame calms and the melt pool doesn’t get quite so deep 

soy in general seem to need smaller wicks these days and eco are very hot 

Edited by moonshine
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, obsessed said:

you have to remember a power burn is not an ideal burn in any circumstance. Did you trim the wick during that time? I would be surprised if you could get a small, steady flame and no mushrooming in a 10 hour continuous burn. If you find that magic wick , you will do very well! Good luck! Luxury Candle supplies (Australian comp. do wicks that are really good at self-trimming and work really nicely with their own waxes All Season Wax)

Thank you for that information, @obsessed! Yes, I did trim the wick each time prior to lighting. Personally, I only burn my candles for the recommended 3-4 hours at a time, but I know many customers aren't going to do that as they choose to burn for longer periods. 

5 hours ago, moonshine said:

Power burns are a must in my book- you have to know how that candle is going to do if a customer lights it and walks away for the whole day - exploding glass isn’t fun 

yellow that does look too big of a wick - I would try the 10 or even a 8 and see if that flame calms and the melt pool doesn’t get quite so deep 

soy in general seem to need smaller wicks these days and eco are very hot 

Thank you, @moonshine! That's my fear - exploding glass. I know customers don't trim wicks or only burn for a short time, and so I'm trying to mimic their environment except that I do trim, haha. I plan on pouring two more testers today and keeping them locked away for two weeks. I'm going to use the ECO 8 and ECO 10. Let's hope those are the magic wicks!