M&P - Soap or Cosmetic?

scrubzz

I first started playing with M&P back in 2005 - from that time up to now I have heard (or rather I guess technically read) a lot of confusion on whether M&P is classified as soap or if it is classified as a cosmetic and what it's labeling requirements were - the confusion has not just been on this board but literally every group I have seen in which M&P  has been discussed - most of the time some have said that some M&P bases are soap and some aren't - other people have been adamant that all M&P bases were not soap at all but rather are considered cosmetic - Here is a great article from Marie Gale's blog that discusses this -

Marie Gale's blog

The two bases she specifically mentions are Stevenson and SFIC - she states that SFIC is classified as soap but Stephenson is not and explains in detail why - from her explanation you should be able to determine from the ingredients of any base if it is classified as a soap or a cosmetic

Also remember, as she points out if you make any other claim other than it is soap or that it "cleans", even if it is classified as soap that claim will automatically make it a cosmetic!

Just wanted to share this info in the hope that it might be of use

Edited by scrubzz
Added one more point
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree 100% - with me it's not so much listing the ingredients as it is being able to legally call it soap and label it as such - if you will notice in the store most "soap" does not actually have the word soap on the label!

• 4 months later...

Melt and pour soaps fall under cosmetics so you will have to label it with the ingredients. However, it can still be labeled as a soap, it is just not considered a true soap. According to the FD & C act if it has a detergent or surfactant it is a cosmetic not a soap and most melt and pour bases contain detergents or surfactants. 

"If a product

• is intended solely for cleansing the human body,
  • has the characteristics consumers generally associate with soap, and
  • does not consist primarily of alkali salts of fatty acids,

it may be identified in labeling as soap, but it is regulated as a cosmetic."

https://www.fda.gov/cosmetics/cosmetics-laws-regulations/it-cosmetic-drug-or-both-or-it-soap#Define_soap

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1