Blue wax melts losing pigment when lit

33 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

Guessing it's a combo of the colorant and heat + fo.   Certain colorants I bought did the same thing.  I now use only a couple companies liquid dye and have way less problems.

Hi @kandlekrazy, do you mind telling us which companies you buy your liquid dye from? If not, I understand. I haven't tried liquid dye yet but I think I will because it seems like it would be more accurate when weighing. I generally make small batches of candles or wax melts and with my dye blocks I just shave off some wax and sometimes it's not heavy enough to register on my scale so I can't easily duplicate colors.

2 hours ago, Laura C said:

Hi @kandlekrazy, do you mind telling us which companies you buy your liquid dye from? If not, I understand. I haven't tried liquid dye yet but I think I will because it seems like it would be more accurate when weighing. I generally make small batches of candles or wax melts and with my dye blocks I just shave off some wax and sometimes it's not heavy enough to register on my scale so I can't easily duplicate colors.

I've used a few liquid dyes from 

Lonestar ( hot pink & aqua ) and 

I've had no issues 

• Thanks 1

@Laura CCandle Science is one, I have to find my bottles on the other one but off hand I want to say Aztec or Flaming was the other.  Since moving I'm missing tons of supplies which I'm sure are in a box somewhere.  There is a post somewhere about which liquid dyes work best in soy wax.

Found it in my notes, they are from Candlewic and those are the dyes I was able to get deeper colors and they seem to keep the color best with less frosting.  I don't dye very often only for special orders like weddings.

Edited by kandlekrazy
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

@Laura CCandle Science is one, I have to find my bottles on the other one but off hand I want to say Aztec or Flaming was the other.  Since moving I'm missing tons of supplies which I'm sure are in a box somewhere.  There is a post somewhere about which liquid dyes work best in soy wax.

Found it in my notes, they are from Candlewic and those are the dyes I was able to get deeper colors and they seem to keep the color best with less frosting.  I don't dye very often only for special orders like weddings.

Oh good, thanks for the info. I order stuff from all the suppliers you mention so I'll have to try their liquid dye next time I place an order.