Jump to content
Gemma3758

Blue wax melts losing pigment when lit

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, has anyone got any suggestions as to why my blue wax melts gradually go this horrible murky colour once lit? The throw is fine but it doesn’t look very appealing! 

1FAF8B7E-780F-4EA5-92E4-5B7E653AC8F6.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Guessing it's a combo of the colorant and heat + fo.   Certain colorants I bought did the same thing.  I now use only a couple companies liquid dye and have way less problems.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

Guessing it's a combo of the colorant and heat + fo.   Certain colorants I bought did the same thing.  I now use only a couple companies liquid dye and have way less problems.

 

Hi @kandlekrazy, do you mind telling us which companies you buy your liquid dye from? If not, I understand. I haven't tried liquid dye yet but I think I will because it seems like it would be more accurate when weighing. I generally make small batches of candles or wax melts and with my dye blocks I just shave off some wax and sometimes it's not heavy enough to register on my scale so I can't easily duplicate colors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Laura C said:

 

Hi @kandlekrazy, do you mind telling us which companies you buy your liquid dye from? If not, I understand. I haven't tried liquid dye yet but I think I will because it seems like it would be more accurate when weighing. I generally make small batches of candles or wax melts and with my dye blocks I just shave off some wax and sometimes it's not heavy enough to register on my scale so I can't easily duplicate colors.

I've used a few liquid dyes from 

Lonestar ( hot pink & aqua ) and 

I've had no issues 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Laura CCandle Science is one, I have to find my bottles on the other one but off hand I want to say Aztec or Flaming was the other.  Since moving I'm missing tons of supplies which I'm sure are in a box somewhere.  There is a post somewhere about which liquid dyes work best in soy wax.

 

Found it in my notes, they are from Candlewic and those are the dyes I was able to get deeper colors and they seem to keep the color best with less frosting.  I don't dye very often only for special orders like weddings.

Edited by kandlekrazy
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Moonstar said:

I've used a few liquid dyes from 

Lonestar ( hot pink & aqua ) and 

I've had no issues 

Thanks for the info @Moonstar

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

@Laura CCandle Science is one, I have to find my bottles on the other one but off hand I want to say Aztec or Flaming was the other.  Since moving I'm missing tons of supplies which I'm sure are in a box somewhere.  There is a post somewhere about which liquid dyes work best in soy wax.

 

Found it in my notes, they are from Candlewic and those are the dyes I was able to get deeper colors and they seem to keep the color best with less frosting.  I don't dye very often only for special orders like weddings.

Oh good, thanks for the info. I order stuff from all the suppliers you mention so I'll have to try their liquid dye next time I place an order.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...