Test Burning Question

I've heard contradicting things when it comes to test burning your candles. I know generally you want to let the candle burn for around 4 hours each time. Some say that after the first burn (4hrs), the melt pool should reach all the way to the edge of the glass, with about 1/4" melted wax. Others say that you do not want to reach a FMP until the candle has burned several times. Can anyone give me some answers as to what the correct test burn method is? I'm using IGI 4630, with a 3" tumbler, not that it really matters. Thanks! 

• Like 2

Burn 1 hour for every inch of diameter so your 3 inch candle should burn for 3 hours melt pool should be atleast 1/4 inch melted or atleast all the way to the edge.

The jar will get hotter as it burns down further so my rule don’t judge a candle until the 3rd burn or until the jar is halfway.

• Like 1

It depends on the size of your jar. 

For my 5oz and 16oz apothecary's if it was to reach a FMP on the first burn, I would not be able to touch that jar once its burned half way down because it would be WAY too hot and wicked too big. If it doesn't reach the edges until the end of the 2nd or even middle of the 3rd burn I feel it's off to a good start, but when testing you want to test the whole candle from beginning to end to get a good judge on how your candle is going to burn. 

My shorter squat candles that don't have the depth that my afore mentioned sizes do, a FMP is justified (to me) in the first or second burn. 

You just want to make sure that the candle you are burning burns correctly and most importantly, safely. 

• Like 2

Yes, great advice was given here. I only wish I had known it or had been able to recognize it on my own 3 years ago (or been on here 3yrs ago). Experience certainly opens your eyes to a lot of things. Things you didn't notice or that didn't make sense at first, finally becomes clear. With a new candle, I don't always expect a full or complete melt pool on the first or even 2nd burn either. Like they always say, test, test and test again. LOL. Speaking from my own experience and using their advice above, this is how I see it. Hope this helps.

Regarding Container Candles

1) In general and with straight sided jars/containers

- I agree with @Barbara AL

- Container Diameter = Hrs. to Burn. So yes, a 4" diameter jar should burn for at least 4 hrs. to either reach a complete melt (or near complete) or at least maximum heat build up (if the melt pool doesn't quite reach to the edges of the jar).

- 1/4" - 1/2" deep melt pool should be sufficient to provide great scent throw

- As candles get shorter the jars do get hotter so you have to allow for that and make a judgement call on the wick size. As mentioned and my preference is to be a little under wicked rather than over wicked. Over wicking can be dangerous w/the heat and tall flames, not to mention the issues with smoke/soot, mushrooming and frequent trims. 

2) With Apothercary jars or jars with necks that trap heat

- I agree with @Jcandleattic

- I've had it happen several times with apothecary jars. I'd burned a new candle 2-3 times and thought I had found the perfect wick but turns out, during the next several burns, the jar got way to hot. Too hot for my comfort at least.

- Since the only apothecary jars I have used have been aprox. 4" in diameter, I double wick and use small sizes. I'm still trying to figure out which wicks burn cooler, which would help too.

• Like 2