Newbie Chandler from Lagos

Hello Chandlers,

My name is Sarah and I am a soaper from Nigeria 😁. I can see some familiar screen names from another forum am on. Good to see familiar names. 

I recently developed interest in candlemaking and I ordered some Palm wax from Southwest Candle supply about 10lbs and somehow got it shipped to me here in Lagos..... I hope hubby never knows what that cost!

It’s been a hair tearing experience working with Palm wax. 🤣 I have to admit, soaping is way easier. Anyhoo, I get lovely cold throw but barely there hot throw in a 4oz jelly jar with CD wick 10 but I think the burn is great. The 2 fragrances I have tried for my wax candles are Sea salt and Orchid and Black Sea from Candle Science at 10%. I have been reading a bit and I was going to do a test Candle with 6% fragrance because I read on here that more might not be better. 

Now to the conundrum that turned me from a lurker to a poster. I had a brain wave to use the stearic acid flakes I bought from a supplier here to make a test candle before I start wasting my precious Palm wax. I mean they look similar so I made a 160g Candle with my stearic acid and while cooling, it started looking like palm wax. I decided to be funky since I have an abundance of the stearic acid and it’s cheap for me. About $5 for 1kg. So I added 10% of fragrance (Balck Sea from Aztec and Passionate kisses from NG at equal amount, really yummy by the way) two fragrances I dislike made a yummy fragrance I love).... can you tell I love fragrances 😁 

Made the candle, looked like Palm Wax burns like Palm wax but it is stearic acid. I need experienced eyes to help me compare. Did I just luck out with my buy of the stearic acid or it’s just stearic acid? The candle has no hot throw by the way. Glass is 3 inches in diameter and wick is CD 18. 

Questions:

1. Do I have Palm wax or Stearic acid?

2. How do I get my Palm wax to throw when it’s burning. 

Thank you all for your help and didn’t mean to bore you so.......😅

6F4D1FCC-0144-49C1-B9C3-45348E77DB31.jpeg

135C5F62-1A6E-4027-A1EB-EA999732A5C9.jpeg

534C1976-9FBD-4F48-9014-C248363424F4.jpeg

Is it Glass Glow palm wax?  or Feather wax?   either way I do zero additives to mine but may help someone else with an answer.  I've had very few duds in palm wax as far as HT goes, quit using it mostly because of the craters it creates if you don't flip the jars at the right time and I didn't have that kind of time to devote to a candle.

11 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

Is it Glass Glow palm wax?  or Feather wax?   either way I do zero additives to mine but may help someone else with an answer.  I've had very few duds in palm wax as far as HT goes, quit using it mostly because of the craters it creates if you don't flip the jars at the right time and I didn't have that kind of time to devote to a candle.

Hello @kandlekrazy, thank you for your reply.

I got the Glass glow from Southwest Candle supply. The top of the ‘stearic acid’ I bought here that looks like palm wax looks like stars linked together. Since I make them for myself, I actually don’t mind flipping the jar since it’s just 2 and 3 jars at most. If I can get it to throw, I am set!

Edited by Saponificarian
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Welcome to Craft Server!

Palm wax is primarily made with palm stearic acid. So you can use stearic to make a candle. The difference between the manufacturers wax and the plain stearic you buy at the candle supply would be the additives the manufacturer may be using. 

I have been making palm candles for several years and never had any problem with hot or cold throw. So it sounds to me like you are experiencing one of a couple problems, the wax may be off or you may be using the wrong wick, jar, or fragrance. This is why we test, test, test, to produce a safe candle with great scent throw.

We have a general wax forum you may ask your questions in to get more answers.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Candybee said:

Welcome to Craft Server!

Palm wax is primarily made with palm stearic acid. So you can use stearic to make a candle. The difference between the manufacturers wax and the plain stearic you buy at the candle supply would be the additives the manufacturer may be using. 

I have been making palm candles for several years and never had any problem with hot or cold throw. So it sounds to me like you are experiencing one of a couple problems, the wax may be off or you may be using the wrong wick, jar, or fragrance. This is why we test, test, test, to produce a safe candle with great scent throw.

We have a general wax forum you may ask your questions in to get more answers.

Thank you @Candybee I have been stalking your posts and also reading your old posts, you are so so knowledgeable. I want to be like you when I grow up 😍. I am still reading up and will ask more questions at the general wax forum. I think my problem might be the wick though because I have just the RRD and CDN.