Using Wax Blends Interchangeably

• There are pillar blends.
  • There are pillar/votive blends.
  • There are votive blends
  • All votives are pillars
  • Not all pillars are votives

Therefore, you could use a "low shrink" votive blend to make larger pillars. Wrong or right?

27 minutes ago, Quentin said:

Therefore, you could use a "low shrink" votive blend to make larger pillars. Wrong or right?

That depends on if the blend is hard enough and shrinks enough to get it out of the mold, and then holds up enough not to liquify completely when burning to turn into a puddle of wax and become a hazard.

Typically if it's a low shrink wax it's melt point is low enough that it will not hold it's shape enough either to get it out of the mold, or if you are lucky enough to get it out of the mold, it won't hold it's shape while burning. 

• Thanks 2

Typical votive wax is intended to liquefy when lit, hence the tight fitting votive holders. 

Votive blends are a weird weird mix of container and pillar wax that is durable enough to ship and store until needed. Then pop t into a reusable container to burn.

• Thanks 2

20 minutes ago, Jcandleattic said:

That depends on if the blend is hard enough and shrinks enough to get it out of the mold, and then holds up enough not to liquify completely when burning to turn into a puddle of wax and become a hazard.

Typically if it's a low shrink wax it's melt point is low enough that it will not hold it's shape enough either to get it out of the mold, or if you are lucky enough to get it out of the mold, it won't hold it's shape while burning. 

8 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Typical votive wax is intended to liquefy when lit, hence the tight fitting votive holders. 

Votive blends are a weird weird mix of container and pillar wax that is durable enough to ship and store until needed. Then pop t into a reusable container to burn.

Thanks to both of you. Everything you say makes sense. I just got curious. Basically I think you're both telling me not to waste my time trying it. :) What if... you added just a touch of stearic acid :whistling: or would that just create another set of problems? 

11 hours ago, Quentin said:

Thanks to both of you. Everything you say makes sense. I just got curious. Basically I think you're both telling me not to waste my time trying it. :) What if... you added just a touch of stearic acid :whistling: or would that just create another set of problems? 

I add stearic and vybar to my votives, it still doesn't make it sturdy enough to be a stand alone mini "pillar"

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, Quentin said:

I actually meant to say add the stearic to a low shrink votive wax to make a larger pillar but I think your answer applies to that as well. Thank you. 😀

It does apply as I use a low shrink votive wax blend for my votives, and still add stearic and vybar.

• Thanks 1