Coconut wax wicking help needed

I am working on a coconut wax blend. Here’s the dealio. CD wicks didn’t burn hot enough and wicks would eventually putter out.

Eco wicks perform okay but the wicks have to be long to work properly - in test burns I have had to dump some melted wax out to get candle moving along. Trim normal and they burn weak. I think I need hotter wick, or do I need to go down a size. Getting confused on direction!!!!

Thoughts on htp wicks for coconut?

14 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Eco can work well in coco, but you need to really wick down. 

Hi TallTayl - check my knowledge here and let me know if I'm right or wrong.  The eco wick she was talking about is getting too much fuel, right?  Therefore can't burn it off properly? A smaller size would burn less hot, therefore not melt so much wax?

9 minutes ago, lenarenee said:

Hi TallTayl - check my knowledge here and let me know if I'm right or wrong.  The eco wick she was talking about is getting too much fuel, right?  Therefore can't burn it off properly? A smaller size would burn less hot, therefore not melt so much wax?

Without pictures, only going by experience with the coco waxes I have used, yes too much fuel drowning the wick. 

Each coconut on the market is formulated just differenty enough to be a total PITA to recommend wicks for. 

I tried eco 14 but wax never made it to the edge of glass and burned somewhat pathetic, going up to eco 16 no an overly huge melt pool.

just very different burn from using any other soy waxes. With eco 16 still get hang up on glass. Making me crazy, the blend is all veggie and has great adhesion and smooth afterburn. Wicking killing me. So if eco 16 not cutting it, the large htp or cdn? I have never used CDN.

i tried cd wicks but they mushroomed and smoked so they got the axe.

What size and shape container?

what FO?

those 2 eco sizes are enormous even in soy depending on the jar size. In a 3” wide status I use Eco4-6 typically with coco “beads” and no adds other than fo and possibly color. Hang up is desirable and catches up in later burns. 

Coco burns diwn then out. If it reaches the edges in the first few burns you’re headed directly into trouble in later burns depending on the depth of that container. 

2 hours ago, NightLight said:

I am working on a coconut wax blend. Here’s the dealio. CD wicks didn’t burn hot enough and wicks would eventually putter out.

Eco wicks perform okay but the wicks have to be long to work properly - in test burns I have had to dump some melted wax out to get candle moving along. Trim normal and they burn weak. I think I need hotter wick, or do I need to go down a size. Getting confused on direction!!!!

Thoughts on htp wicks for coconut?

Hi @nightlight. Are the wicks attached in the test candles or are you inserting wick pieces and testing them? Here's something to consider. Some wicks are directional, if you are changing out the wicks be certain that you are inserting the wicks in the correct direction or you may get unpredictable results.

I'm going to have to start over on my wick testing for coconut wax blends as well, I've not been getting the same wick results that I use to. At one time, Premier and Performa wicks worked great for me in coconut waxes but not so much lately. I've had problems with them not burning as hot or excessive smoke/soot and mushroom issues. HTP haven't done too bad.

The reason I’m going for getting to the edges quicker people I know don’t have the patience to let the candle burn properly.

Also found commercial candles are quick burners, possibly for same reason. I attached wicks to see how candles burn over many burns.

I ordered htp and cdn wicks. How are eco versus cdn? I like the eco for the most part but the hang up on the sides bothers me. It’s slight so maybe I should not worry about it. Using three inch straight side jar 9 ounce.

It may be more I need to adjust formula versus trying to find the perfect wick as the eco 16is very close.

Is it possible that the candles you were burning with those large wicks tunneled early because of a hidden cavity under the surface?

Those wicks are gigantic for that size vessel. Eco of that size in Soy alone would make the entire candle melt quickly. Something else is going on. Coconut and soy blends are notorious for developing hidden sinkholes and cavities as they cool. 

It's possible that the wicks were too large, tunneled a bit at the start. Then, the wax on the sides of the holes melted as the flame lowered and heat built up within the wax, flooding the hole and drowning the wick.

There aren't many wicks that burn hotter than ECO and CD, IMO... square braided or cotton core, maybe? You'll want to look at wicking for beeswax if your goal is a hotter burn. Although, I'd suggest trying the smaller sizes of ECO and CD in the soy-coconut blend before switching to a different wick series.

For a 9oz jar, assuming it's of a similar width to the straight sided tumblers, I'd suggest trying an ECO 6. ECO 8 will give a full melt pool sooner but you may also have an unstable flame, some smoking, and the glass becoming hot when the flame is lower in the candle. However, without knowing the coconut and soy waxes used in the blend and at what ratio, it's difficult to say. Additives, FO, and dyes can also have an effect.

Edited by Kerven

• 1 year later...
On 1/3/2019 at 9:41 PM, TallTayl said:

What size and shape container?

what FO?

those 2 eco sizes are enormous even in soy depending on the jar size. In a 3” wide status I use Eco4-6 typically with coco “beads” and no adds other than fo and possibly color. Hang up is desirable and catches up in later burns. 

Coco burns diwn then out. If it reaches the edges in the first few burns you’re headed directly into trouble in later burns depending on the depth of that container. 

So you shouldn’t get a full melt pool with coco on first 2-3 hr burn?

Ok! So with coconut/soy wax if I don’t get a full melt pool in 3 hours that’s a good thing! I wicked waaay down after reading this last night and I think it’s working!
here’s a picture this am. This is eco 8 after an hour 

You should have jewels in your crown for al the help you give! 

6147D229-7B08-4B56-BFF1-367762A7556B.jpeg

You should do three hour burns. See how the melt pool is all the way down the candle. When you get deeper into the container the wax will melt faster hotter.  You have to balance the top burn with the bottom burn. Coconut wax melts down fast in bottom part of candle compared to other waxes which can make it tricky to wick. 

give that candle above three hour burns and see how that wick works. One hour is nothing. Most people leave candles burning for a long time.

40 minutes ago, NightLight said:

You should do three hour burns. See how the melt pool is all the way down the candle. When you get deeper into the container the wax will melt faster hotter.  You have to balance the top burn with the bottom burn. Coconut wax melts down fast in bottom part of candle compared to other waxes which can make it tricky to wick. 

give that candle above three hour burns and see how that wick works. One hour is nothing. Most people leave candles burning for a long time.

Got it! Doing that now