Pet birds

We got a cockatiel about 4 months ago for my teenager.  It stays in his room & since we got the bird, I keep all my candle activity downstairs; I don't use any scents in the upstairs bathroom or hallway like I used to.  However, we've decided to move the bird downstairs for more interaction with the whole family & I'm trying to work out a plan as to how to keep my hobby while hopefully not killing the bird in the process.  

My sister says she burned candles without any problems when they had cockatiels but to read online, everything's forbidden it seems.  I'm thinking I may move my candle making from the kitchen to the office/extra room which is at the back of the house & easily closed off. 

Any other suggestions or experiences to share regarding birds in the house & scents? 

I have two budgies in the main part of the home where we are always burning a bunch of candles. Have not yet had any trouble.

candles and other scented products are made in the dedicated basement shop within the home. I keep air cleaners running 24/7 in that space, and have exhaust fans when heavily in production. 

My daughter has two parakeets, she keeps them in her room, and she often has her wax melter going in there. She won't burn candles, but that's more because she's worried about loose feathers from preening catching on fire.

When I pour candles, I always have fans going and at least crack a window in the winter. She keeps her door shut then. How mobile is the cage? Maybe they can temporarily visit another room when you pour?

I currently use my kitchen for candle making.  Our house is an old craftsman with the dining & living room open to each other.  I'm planning on putting the bird kind of central to the dining/living space.   I'm thinking I'll move my candlemaking to a back room that is a little farther from the main living space with a hallway between.  The birdcage we have is fairly large; I had hoped to get a smaller one for when we wanted to move him around but haven't done it yet because he's still not as comfortable with us as we'd like to be able to let him out if his cage (but he's mostly been with my son in his room, which is why we're bringing him down to the main floor).