California Prop 65

I'm not sure if this has already been discussed (can't find a thread on it anywhere), but I was curious how other chandlers are handling California Prop 65. Even though I live in Massachusetts, I think it makes sense to stay away from fragrances that include ingredients known to be carcinogenic. 

My three main suppliers are Nature's Garden, Candlescience, and Flaming Candle. Both Nature's Garden and Candlescience list this information for all of their fragrance oils. For example, one of my favorite FO's from CS (Blue Spruce) contains an ingredient listed in Prop 65, so I plan to find an alternative for it soon.

Flaming Candle currently identifies which fragrances are phthalate-free but does not include Prop 65 ingredients. I've reached out to them to see if they plan on adding this information soon. I also reached out to Aztec Candle. Their customer service rep told me they do not currently list it and have no plan to list it moving forward. Even if I inquired about a few specific fragrances, they will not tell me they include any of the ingredients. 

I recently wrote about Lab&Co in a different post. That's where I currently buy my wood wicks and coconut wax blend. They recently came out with some very nice (and very expensive) fragrance oils. I have been chatting with their wonderful customer service rep because most of their oils are not currently phthalate-free. They are working hard to remove all phthalates from their oils. I gave her a list of ten FO's I wanted to try, and all are on deck to be phthalate-free in the next 2-3 months. Being in California, they are also on top of Prop 65. Even though this information is not listed on their website, they have a compliance officer who will check different FO's for you to make sure they are free of those ingredients. 

I guess my roundabout question is whether other chandlers are taking similar measures or if most of you are just ignoring it because you don't live in California. I'd also like to know about other  suppliers you use who are transparent about which FO's contain these ingredients. Thanks!

Jeremy

• Like 1

Hmmmm interesting post. Thank you for sharing this since I don't follow much news.Lately, it just gives me a MASSIVE headache .How do you like the wax and wicks you get from them

are they giving you a great HT ? I think I'll go check out their website - Happy New Year !!!

On 12/28/2018 at 6:44 PM, Moonstar said:

Hmmmm interesting post. Thank you for sharing this since I don't follow much news.Lately, it just gives me a MASSIVE headache .How do you like the wax and wicks you get from them

are they giving you a great HT ? I think I'll go check out their website - Happy New Year !!!

I really like the wax and wicks from that site. Wood wicks get a bad rep, and I having tested other brands, I can certainly understand why. These ones work well for me and are very reliable from test to test. I used to use cotton wicks in the beginning, and I found it difficult to find the perfect wick size for every fragrance. There was too much variability. With the wood wicks though, there are just a few sizes I need to test. It's just simpler. 

It gives me a good HT, comparable to what I got with my 464 soy wax. It supposedly has a stronger HT than soy, but I can't really tell.

Happy New Year to you as well!

11 hours ago, JeremyM said:

I really like the wax and wicks from that site. Wood wicks get a bad rep, and I having tested other brands, I can certainly understand why. These ones work well for me and are very reliable from test to test. I used to use cotton wicks in the beginning, and I found it difficult to find the perfect wick size for every fragrance. There was too much variability. With the wood wicks though, there are just a few sizes I need to test. It's just simpler. 

It gives me a good HT, comparable to what I got with my 464 soy wax. It supposedly has a stronger HT than soy, but I can't really tell.

Happy New Year to you as well!

Thank you Jeremy :) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

You just have to put a warning label on your candle that states the failing prop 65 chemical and what health concern it falls under. It has to be a certain size as well. I know that They were working on making some changes and trying not to be as strict. For example

my company manufactures a multi tool that comes with a tiny piece of Sandpaper. The Prop 64 label had to be applied

to the entire tool. Not up to date on what changes have been recently made but I think under a certain % you are not required to apply it to your product. Do more research on the Prop65 website they update the list

Interestingly, I just did a lot of research into phthalates myself and left with an entirely different set of information than what I just assumed to be true.

The only phthalate anyone in the fragrance oil game confesses to using is diethyl phthalate which... is cleared as non carcinogenic by a few authoritative places (WHO, CDC, European Commission, IFRA - though it's no surprise the IFRA isn't leading the charge to prove toxicity of fragrance ingredients).  DEP isn't on the Prop 65 list either.

Other phthalates are linked to health issues, but DEP isn't.  When manufacturers made the shift to remove all phthalates awhile ago there was a noticeable change in performance and a heft impact on longstanding candle designs.

What did you find in your fragrance oils that was on the Prop 65 list?

- Me, 2 years later

• Like 1