6006 tests by Forrest

TallTayl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

@Forrest

Did you ever decide on a wick for your 8" tins?

@all

Do you think mixing in some 464 would help some of the wicking issues or is it not even worth it given that you wouldn't be able to say they are 100% soy candles?

I just got in my shipment and have 6 and 8 inch tins, 6 and 8 inch status jars, 464 and 6006, variety of zinc, Premier, CD, small and wood wicks.

This will be my first testing run and just trying to put together a plan before I get started.

54 minutes ago, xxxAlpha71xxx said:

@Forrest

@all

Do you think mixing in some 464 would help some of the wicking issues or is it not even worth it given that you wouldn't be able to say they are 100% soy candles?

I just got in my shipment and have 6 and 8 inch tins, 6 and 8 inch status jars, 464 and 6006, variety of zinc, Premier, CD, small and wood wicks.

This will be my first testing run and just trying to put together a plan before I get started.

I've been trying to wick 8oz tins with 18 different FO and the wick that I'm using the most is a 44 zinc core. However, I'm over wicking them to compensate for a long cure time. It may be that my taste in FOs tends toward scents that need smaller wicks. If I were starting with an unknown FO in an 8oz tin I think I would start testing with an LX16 or a CD6. I haven't found that it is difficult to wick the tins. I have found it is better to start small and work your way up. The reason is if you burn an underwicked candle for four hours and then replace the wick you haven't done any damage. If the candle was overwicked you melted a lot of wax and that will effect the results you get with the next wick. I like to do to get a full melt pool in the third or fourth hour of the second days burn. I look at the MP after four hours and if is close to a FMP, or if the MP is too small, I perform a wickectomy and start the next day with a new wick. That's why I made the wick chart. You should be able to get a good wick by the third day. I would not recommend adding 464 because that just adds one more variable to the equation.  Document everything, take notes and pictures, you'll need them in the future. I find jars are harder to wick because the wick may be perfect in the top half of the jar and too big for the bottom half.

• Like 1

I started blending with soy , also i have been using wooden Wicks. I have put a lot of testing into that . I found i couldn’t find one that was one size fits all. Spent a ton of money 🤦🏼‍♀️ So now i cut them mix them. I don’t know if you can call it 100 percent soy. Soy blend I call it if people ask me i do not have a problem telling what i use. I also just tried coconut wax , honestly much better than soy! The difference is unbelievable especially with a wooden wick. I posted pure coconut wax wish i had a better picture, smooth tops good CT and HT. Online issue it’s expensive. Take Forrest’s advice he knows much more than me ! 

7A170A62-F045-40C5-9A99-58E4D7B4EE3D.jpeg

• Like 1

Hey Forrest, have you done any testing of premium wicks with 6006?  I've got a 

WI 750 in a 2.6 " jar and so far it's beautiful.  Steady flame, no smoke, no mushrooming.   Plan on continuing testing until the candle is dead.  If it works out I'll upload some pics.

25 minutes ago, xxxAlpha71xxx said:

Hey Forrest, have you done any testing of premium wicks with 6006?  I've got a 

WI 750 in a 2.6 " jar and so far it's beautiful.  Steady flame, no smoke, no mushrooming.   Plan on continuing testing until the candle is dead.  If it works out I'll upload some pics.

I love the way Premiers burn, sadly I just don't get great throw from them. I don't use 6006, just an observation about Premiers. Hopefully you will have better results! How is the throw for you?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sarah S said:

I love the way Premiers burn, sadly I just don't get great throw from them. I don't use 6006, just an observation about Premiers. Hopefully you will have better results! How is the throw for you?

I'm burning Flaming Candles Pina Colada (6%), which is a pretty mellow scent.  It's sitting in the middles of a room that's about 250 ft2.  It fills that room and about 15 feet down the hallway that leads to it.  I don't have enough experience to know whether that's good or bad. :). But it smells good :)

• Like 1

I did a similar test with various CD's and LX's.  My results were similar to yours.   Particularly interesting to me is the LX's.  The diameter of your 16 was smaller than your 14.  My results were similar except my 18 had a smaller diameter than my 16, with the 18 having a melt pool roughly the depth of a swimming pool.

Edited by xxxAlpha71xxx
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, xxxAlpha71xxx said:

I did a similar test with various CD's and LX's.  My results were similar to yours.   Particularly interesting to me is the LX's.  The diameter of your 16 was smaller than your 14.  My results were similar except my 18 had a smaller diameter than my 16, with the 18 having a melt pool roughly the depth of a swimming pool.

I ran another test in 8oz tins with LX 16 & 14 and got better results. I've had a similar problem with CD 6 & 8 before. usually if the test results look like an anomaly they probably are; just part of the joy of candle making.

• Like 1

I found even without blending any soy , wooden Wicks are much easier well it took months 🤣 of testing. They smoke less give a good HT at 6% The most I’m using is 7 . I remember someone here told me just because it says you can use 10 percent you do not have to best advice. I do need to work on my cotton wicks, people are not going just want wooden wicks. If i put as much effort as i did into wooden Wicks I’m sure I’ll have it down in a year 🤣

• Like 2

On 6/15/2019 at 12:11 PM, Sarah S said:

I wasn't miserable with the HT from Premiers but I rewicked with LX and there is a considerable improvement.  Maybe a little too much with this red hot Cinnamon. :)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm learning more and more about this wicking thing and just how difficult it can be.  There are a lot more variables that I had never considered could causes changes.  I've got 2 candles with same container, same scent and %,  same dye, same wick.  The only difference is one was made with that little candlemaker that CS sells which ended up with scent being added at 180, poured at 145ish.  The other had scent added at 185 and was poured slushy.  The slushy candle is going to end up being a full wick down than the one that was made with the candle maker.

Is that the norm that scent addition and pouring temps can make that much of a difference in wicking?

Looks like I've got a ton of learning to do.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

That much difference is really strange to me. Was there a cavity in one? That could make it look like a sizing issue for sure. 

That could be it.  I never saw it appear but when I extinguished one of them there were some holes around the wick that possibly could have drained some wax down making a cavity.  Watching it burn with the new wick, will see how it goes and toss up some pics after day 3ish.  These were just some comparison candles that I was playing with a few weeks ago that I decided to burn.  One was 464 at 180/145, one was 464 at 185/Slushy and one was a blend of 72% 6006, 28% 464 at 185/170.  Was just playing around with temperatures and blends to see how the candles ended up appearance wise (the 464 looked ok externally, with no wet spots or frosting-the 6006/464 blend had a considerable amount of wet spots).  

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 8:46 AM, TallTayl said:

That much difference is really strange to me. Was there a cavity in one? That could make it look like a sizing issue for sure. 

Oh great and powerful Oz.  Your omnipotence regarding all things candle is most enviable.  The candle that appeared to have the wick that was too small had some tunneling.  I removed that wax with a knife, smoothed out the top then relit it.  Both candles are now burning pretty much the same.  Guess I was overthinking it and overlooking the obvious.

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...
On 6/6/2019 at 3:02 AM, xxxAlpha71xxx said:

@Forrest

@all

I've used CD 18 wicks with GB464 in  8oz tins and they work great!

Edited by MizAndrews
Forgot to list wax used

• 8 months later...

I tested every single wick in this test and not one made it to the bottom of the tin without smoking and big flames, had to stop them. Tried with 6 and 8% load, dye and no dye. I found that the only way I can get 6006 to clean burn these days is to add some soy. Which is really annoying because it adds something else to the equation and I don’t keep soy around much anymore.