6006 tests by Forrest

TallTayl

had two primary objectives in doing this test. The first was a side by side comparison of the four wick types in 6006. The second was to make a list of wicks to use when wicking up or down. I feel like I accomplished both goals, and learned a lot in the process. One thing I learned is that there is no perfect wick. The Zinc core wicks mushroom, the CDs smoke, the depth of the MP for the HTP 73 and 83 was startling, but the HTP 93 didn’t have that problem; also there was something odd about the LX 14, it mushroomed and had a bigger MP than the LX 16. Lastly something went wrong with my Zinc 51 on day 3. Before now my go to wicks have been the Zinc core and the DCs, but based on these test results the LX or HTPs may be better in some applications. I should also note that the room temperature during the test was 62-65, warmer temperatures would likely yield slightly larger melt pools. I’m posting pictures and some data, I have lots more. Any advice or observations would be very welcome.

FW1_8268.thumb.JPG.bab31f9bad47b021e5f9f188874a3ca1.JPGFW1_8270.thumb.JPG.ee83b078b250cb63e8deffb2a52ea92d.JPGFW1_8281.thumb.JPG.2ad814cb59fa42b7f3b55d259dc12b1d.JPGFW1_8282.thumb.JPG.7a55d730580ff000e13434262e2e6895.JPGFW1_8283.thumb.JPG.f9816ea4359c80cfa291594cf5dc5f47.JPGFW1_8284.thumb.JPG.640d89a23828c8671867635280517516.JPGFW1_8296.thumb.JPG.04f62b534a25883ceeefff2e3de668ff.JPGFW1_8297.thumb.JPG.35aba3b55b15dd87b489b30ac8e79447.JPGFW1_8298.thumb.JPG.120a02778a6c5a5a841688c8248a84ce.JPGFW1_8299.thumb.JPG.12c147143f099006b405af129221ad36.JPGFW1_8310.thumb.JPG.626a83ee8b9bd4043479c6c8c8c19759.JPGFW1_8311.thumb.JPG.086ea0719c085ab7365a918164e8bb40.JPGFW1_8308.thumb.JPG.e100cc9419f7e4ff6ae9783fdb026037.JPGFW1_8309.thumb.JPG.addf77569112efbf12b6dfa6285acd10.JPGFW1_8312.thumb.JPG.e7c190474cf246997bd9383e4eee588c.JPGFW1_8313.thumb.JPG.da9663bad7ab9683e081f06fd5c50c65.JPGFW1_8314.thumb.JPG.ff349a08c9ac5161a0a8dbf4fbd1bb98.JPGFW1_8315.thumb.JPG.375019f5a77392944e49defd19e8b70e.JPG

IMG_20181227_0001.thumb.jpg.e943fecdb36f8ed326b274bd3d25a3ac.jpg

Edited by Forrest
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

Wow! 

Uld you say the cd and htp burn similarly?  I’ve read they are one and the same, just different names. 

Not at all, the HTPs curl and I didn't notice any smoking. The CDs tend to make good MPs while the HTPs tended to be deep. CDs tend to have tall flames. I do know that the HTPs don't do well with air currents, but the CDs seem to do much better.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/24/2019 at 9:43 PM, Guest Guest said:

Great test, thanks! Do you have any plans to test the 104, 105, and 126 htps in the 6006?

I tested a 104 in an 8oz tin, but it was too hot and I had to stop the test. About all I can say is the gap between the 93 and the 104 is big, I would probably double wick anything that needed a wick that big. I've been busy trying to apply these test results to some real world candles. I did put some Premiere 700 series wicks in tins, to see if they work better than the LX wicks, I haven't been please with those. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, Pip said:

I couldn’t even get my Htp 105 to melt the sides down , so happy i found this forum. Needed help with this wax desperately! 

What container is that, and how wide is it? I'm mostly using zinc core, CDs, and HTPs right now. I tested an HTP 108 in an 8oz tin, but it was too hot.

• Like 1

Forrest. I won the lottery finding this post. I've been testing for several months but it seems I'm hit and miss.

As a newbie I had a question regarding testing in a slab like this. I keep hearing I have to wick to size of container. Could you explain how this slab test equates with container size or was that absolutely not the point of this experiment?

Thank you.

Susan

9 minutes ago, SusanAspires said:

Forrest. I won the lottery finding this post. I've been testing for several months but it seems I'm hit and miss.

As a newbie I had a question regarding testing in a slab like this. I keep hearing I have to wick to size of container. Could you explain how this slab test equates with container size or was that absolutely not the point of this experiment?

Thank you.

Susan

Hi Susan, wicking 6006 can be difficult. The chart shows the diameter of the melt pool for each wick at 3 hours of burn time for each day; day 3 is mislabeled as day 2. So an LX 18 would be a good wick for a container that was 3 inches in diameter as it had a 2.9 inch pool on day two and a 3.1 inch pool on day 3. I should caution you that this test was done in a cool house. What container are you trying to wick?

Well, I'm glad to know it's the wax and not just me! I tried soy but no throw...

I have finally gone to straight sided jars for testing. 

9 oz

Height  3.5 inches 
Outside Diameter  2.88 inches 

Circumference  9 inches

4 oz

Height  2.75 inches 
Outside Diameter  2.38 inches 

Circumference  7.5 inches 

I've been using CD wicks from CS as I'd really like to stick with one wick family. So far my primary issue is tunneling--not getting a good melt pool in an hour. But then I read that there shouldn't be a total melt pool in an hour as a candle is going to burned longer than an hour, usually. I also seem to get either really good strong throw or no/weak throw. 
CS recommended CD 4s for my previous tin size but I think 6 or 8 is likely better. I finally broke down and ordered all the CDs individually as there is no longer a sampler. 

I may be using too much FO at 9%. I should try to wick up and decrease FO, I'm assuming.

Thanks so much for your input and for posting that burn. That is super helpful for beginners. Never dawned on me to do a "slab" burn.

Susan

10 hours ago, SusanAspires said:

Well, I'm glad to know it's the wax and not just me! I tried soy but no throw...

I have finally gone to straight sided jars for testing. 

9 oz

Height  3.5 inches 
Outside Diameter  2.88 inches 

Circumference  9 inches

4 oz

Height  2.75 inches 
Outside Diameter  2.38 inches 

Circumference  7.5 inches 

I've been using CD wicks from CS as I'd really like to stick with one wick family. So far my primary issue is tunneling--not getting a good melt pool in an hour. But then I read that there shouldn't be a total melt pool in an hour as a candle is going to burned longer than an hour, usually. I also seem to get either really good strong throw or no/weak throw. 
CS recommended CD 4s for my previous tin size but I think 6 or 8 is likely better. I finally broke down and ordered all the CDs individually as there is no longer a sampler. 

I may be using too much FO at 9%. I should try to wick up and decrease FO, I'm assuming.

Thanks so much for your input and for posting that burn. That is super helpful for beginners. Never dawned on me to do a "slab" burn.

Susan

I would caution against putting too faith in my test results. To start with the room was around 60⁰, so at normal room temp the MPs would be larger. Also each container is going to have its own characteristics. Also some of my results see to be anomalies, for example my zinc 51 had a much smaller MP on the third day. I also use CD wicks, but my primary wicks are zinc core, the experts on the board seem to prefer the zinc core wicks. What my test is good for is helping you choose the next wick to try. As for the FO load the experts would tell you to cut back to no more than 7%. . A couple of other tips; first stirring is very important with this wax, and not just after you add the FO. Also cure time is important, the longer it cures the stronger the HT will be. As it cures it changes and needs a bigger wick. I have some FOs that are great after two weeks and others need two months.

• Like 1

I’m in contact with CS every day it’s pathetic 🤦🏼‍♀️ They recommend cd 14 or cd 16 for my tumblers, so i went and got 100 of each , either i used to much FO or they are to big . Like you i would like to stick with one wick that is my goal. I do not know if it will happen 🤞🏻

@Forrest this might be a stupid question, do you think if i tested the Htp 105 in glass instead of a tin , the wax would have melted down? I’m thinking the same thing with a wood wick i really like it did not melt the sides, wondering if it makes a difference? 

21 minutes ago, Pip said:

I’m in contact with CS every day it’s pathetic 🤦🏼‍♀️ They recommend cd 14 or cd 16 for my tumblers, so i went and got 100 of each , either i used to much FO or they are to big . Like you i would like to stick with one wick that is my goal. I do not know if it will happen 🤞🏻

15 minutes ago, Pip said:

That’s a 8oz tin , I’m still figuring out how to use this forum. 

Don't trust the suppliers to tell you what wick works, they are wrong more often than not. I'm currently trying to wick 8oz tins with 6006. My go to wick is a 51 zinc core. I make a candle with each FO and adjust my wick depending on how it burns. My goal is to use the smallest wick that will melt all of the wax. So far most of the candles I have tried needed a different wick. There are things you can do if the wick is close to what you need, trimming  the wick shorter, or leaving it longer has a big impact on how it burns. Also if the candle is a little over wicked you can cure it longer and solve that problem. Right now I'm using zinc cores, CDs and HTPs in my tins and when it is the right wick they all work well.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pip said:

@Forrest this might be a stupid question, do you think if i tested the Htp 105 in glass instead of a tin , the wax would have melted down? I’m thinking the same thing with a wood wick i really like it did not melt the sides, wondering if it makes a difference? 

Are you worried about a little wax left on the sides? I would only worry if there was a significant amount of wax left after the candle was finished burning. I tried the HTP 105 in an 8oz tin with no FO and it was much to big. I really don't know much about glass and each container is different.

• Like 2

I didn’t really want to use my glass containers to test, so i just melted out some leftover wax out of old Yankee jars same size , going to test the wood wicks i liked see how it goes 🤞🏻The Htp was smoking up a storm. So I’m not even going to attempt that one thank you! 

• Like 1

@SusanAspires I’m testing right now to see if i can get these to melt down, I didn’t pour enough wax ,still have enough to see how well it will do. I poured yesterday they are in my kitchen i can smell them in my parlor. I only used 6 percent, also i will definitely send you some cds i don’t know how this works i don’t want to put my information online.

97194FDA-7A0A-4895-9ABD-4309BBACD4F1.jpeg

• Like 1

I burned that first one in a tin have the picture, it did leave a little wax on the side that’s not what I’m concerned about, I don’t really want to add color it’s turning brown, the tin did not seem to turn brown. The other wick i know is way to large ,it has a really strong hot throw ,also it’s not changing the color of the wax that’s why I’m still burning . I think i might order this one in a smaller size. I said  I’m going to make a wooden wick work I’m going to 😂🤞🏻

2090914A-8D89-40CE-89AC-BA8CAE46BBC1.jpeg

B62C6BE0-E7E8-4E77-85A1-A1C7F66B8170.jpeg

33 minutes ago, Pip said:

I burned that first one in a tin have the picture, it did leave a little wax on the side that’s not what I’m concerned about, I don’t really want to add color it’s turning brown, the tin did not seem to turn brown. The other wick i know is way to large ,it has a really strong hot throw ,also it’s not changing the color of the wax that’s why I’m still burning . I think i might order this one in a smaller size. I said  I’m going to make a wooden wick work I’m going to 😂🤞🏻

Pip, post this in the Candle Making forum where more people with experience with wooden wicks will see it, you'll get better response there. Wooden wicks are one of the few wicks I haven't tried.

• Like 1