Direct Heat -vs Water Bath Oil Melter.. Need Advice

Glassfishy

I posted this same message on the Soap Making Forum and for some reason my last 2 posts asking general questions have been deleted as BUSINESS posts... There were no business information in my ads and I can't get a clear answer from anyone to tell me what I'm doing wrong. I've read the rules and don't see anything I've violated. Anyway. I'm looking for advice from those who use Large Oil Melters for their lotion and soap making process.

We currently have a 100# Primo Direct Heat Melter that I use for my Candles. I just purchased a used 65# Direct Heat (the one from CandleScience) to use for Lotions and I read varying information on whether direct heat should be used on bath and body. I am looking to purchase a Larger 200-250# Melter for my soap oils. On several occasions I have used my 100# melter when the wax was emptied out and I knew I was making soap the next day... I typically make (20) 5# batches in a single day (multiples of 4/5 soaps). I'm trying to streamline that process and have my oils ready when I walk in the door. I want the 250 because it will allow me to put (2) days worth of soap in there... A few things you might wonder...

- I won't leave it on non-stop. I usually turn it on that day and off at night. My plan is to get a timer installed on whatever we buy so that when I come in it's ready to go. So I feel that a direct heat melter wouldn't really come into play because it will be heated only for 8 or less hours.

- Wouldn't the Water Bath Melters also have hot spots? Like the Heating element is located at the bottom of most of them so I would think it's always going to be hotter at the bottom of the tank -vs- the top.. 

I'm just looking for ideas and advice from some that use their melters for the soaps and lotions...

Steve

Making Good Scentz

p.s. if I've done something wrong in this post please let me know. I'm not intentionally doing so.

You’ve  done nothing wrong. No worries.  

I have had both and greatly prefer the water bath. It takes a bit longer to get the water jacket to temp, but it is a much more steady temp. 

I did notice hot spots in the direct heat, but have never noticed hot spots in the water jacket. 

I leave my water jacket melter on for weeks at a time and never worry about it. The upside to the water jacket I have is I can fit tall metal or plastic pails inside of it to melt while I’m doing other things. A 6 gallon soaping oil pail melts to a nice temp over night on a low-ish temp. Those pails of organic palm are liquid enough to stir andportion out. The master batches oils are liquidy in a pail. How convenient! 

Awesome... This is what I need to know. So you leave your water bath melter on all the time? I guess I've always been worried with candle wax as we use a blend of soy and paraffin wax. You know the old rumors of paraffin catching on fire. Even though I know my temp never goes above 190.  Do you truly use water? I've heard others use propylene Glycol or Wesson cooking oil in place of the water to get a higher temperature and to keep it from evaporating. I love my Primo melter for my candles. I just want to get something bigger that I could also use for candles in the future if I'm doing extra large batches... I've got to do something different this year. We spend the last few months in a scurry and I'm not doing that again this year. I want to be stocked and loaded when October gets here... It's going to happen this year....

sorry to be so chatty... I'm just so glad I can converse with others on this stuff. What brand do you have? I have looked at the ones at WaxMelters.com (which is where i got my Primo). They're a bit more expensive. Candlewic sells a 200# ($975) and 300# ($1350) water bath melter. I would love the 300#. That would allow me to load it with (3) days worth of soap making. WaxMelters.com has a 300# ($1855). Any other places?

• Like 1