Thankful for a successful Christmas season

GailC

I just had to share.  I am not a large scale candle maker.  I make small batches at a time, and sell to family, friends and through Facebook.  Also have 2 wholesale accounts.  I thought one had ended, but the guy finally called me yesterday wanting more candles.

I told him I would have to get back with him a couple of weeks after Christmas, because yesterday, after my cousin came over to buy 10 candles, and I gave one for a gift, I had 14 candles left in my cabinet!  I have never been that low! Some of those I have left are seasonal like Candy Corn and floral, although I have sold 2 or 3 floral candles this week.

I should have stayed busy making more candles, but I had no idea so many customers would contact me out of the blue wanting candles in the past couple of weeks.  Facebook has been a good venue for me to get new customers.  Our town has a Brownsburg Chatter page and ever so often I advertise my candles and get new contacts.  Several times, the customer has turned out to live in my own neighborhood and best of all, these ladies are becoming repeat customers!

One more thing, to toot my own horn, I have been getting so many compliments on my candles.  One customer even posted a picture of a candle she bought from me on our neighborhood Facebook page and raved about how good they are.  Another customer compared them to a commercial candle, and said mine was so much better, hands down.  The other one burned too high, even after trimming the wick and got soot on her ceiling.

I know you all will understand how gratifying it is to make a product that people love, and how good it makes me feel when they post on Facebook, telling others they should buy my candles.  :) 

I am anxious to get back to making candles, right after Christmas.  Two ladies already have put orders in, plus the wholesale account.  I had to quit making them for awhile, because of getting ready for Christmas and medical appointments, and having a new granddaughter born a week ago today!  

It is a very Happy Christmas time for our family and I hope each of you have a wonderful Christmas as well.  

Image may contain: Gail Colby, indoor

• Like 12

That's wonderful Gail ! Your success is inspiring and it's wonderful to see that you take great pride in your craft ......A compliment goes a long way to inspire us to make more candles doesn't it hahahah . I t looks like you have the sweetest little distraction in your arms. I suspect your already planning what your going to pour in the new year though! 

Merry Christmas!!

• Like 3

Thanks @Sunday  My son is 40 and this is his first child. I’m so thankful he is finally a daddy and he is over the moon of course. 

Yes I have sooo many FO’s and I’m already pondering what I will be making after Christmas. 

I have two customers who want the Cinnamon Chai from Flaming candle and one of them also wanted a vanilla. I told her that I had a new vanilla called Tahitian vanilla (NG) that smells like caramel vanilla and she wants to try that one. So those scents will be the first 2. I’m going to name the candle Caramel Vanilla because I think it will sell better. 

Merry Christmas to you and yours also!

• Like 1

Ohh that's so wonderful Gail...I can see why your son is over the moon! Do you  think  40 is the new 30?...it seems people are having kids later and later..

So will you make just one or two of each scent for your customers or do you make extras to sell later?

4 hours ago, Sunday said:

Ohh that's so wonderful Gail...I can see why your son is over the moon! Do you  think  40 is the new 30?...it seems people are having kids later and later..

So will you make just one or two of each scent for your customers or do you make extras to sell later?

Oh I'll make lots of scents because I make small batches at a time.  I like to have lots of variety on hand.  I like to try out new ones, but I need to make the tried and true ones.  (Hey I'm a poet!)

So I'll have to make some Apple Pie or Maybe Winter Candy Apple, and my best selling fragrance by far, Cinnamon Vanilla.

My son had some previous relationships that didn't work out so that's why it took him so long to become a Father.  He finally found The One and they got married in April 2016.  He is so happy now.

2 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

Congrats Gail!  on the sales but mostly on the Grand baby!!  I think I'd be too busy snuggling to make candles.

She was born on December 15, and I think that was the last day I made candles, because any more wouldn't have had time to cure before Christmas.  

My son lives about 45 minutes away, so I've only got to snuggle with her twice so far.  I have a precious little Great granddaughter who lives right here in town, so I get to see her more.  She will be 4 already in January.  I had a little trouble wrapping my brain around becoming a great grandma back in 2015.  :) 

4 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

Sweetest pic ever!  Both beautiful!  I'll be 66 in Jan and still not a Grandma, I have 1 son who is 32 and no children yet, not even married so kinda know how you felt.  I'm thinking I'm too old to start now, lol.

Thank you!  I sure do love them.

My daughter made me a grandma when I was 42. She gave me 3!  I have a good friend who is also 66 and she wants grandchildren so badly.  One of her sons is married but his wife is unable to have children and he never wanted to adopt.  The other is 36 and divorced, so she is beginning to despair of ever being a grandma.  

• Like 1

Wonderful pictures Gail!

Thank you for sharing! That is so wonderful that your family and your business are growing. The way you make and sell sounds a lot like the way I do it too, just enough to make some money to re-invest in supplies, but not too much to be stressful. I hope you share some thoughts on new scents you pour this year!

Have a very merry holiday with your little angels!!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2018 at 5:00 AM, GailC said:

Thanks @Sunday  My son is 40 and this is his first child. I’m so thankful he is finally a daddy and he is over the moon of course. 

Yes I have sooo many FO’s and I’m already pondering what I will be making after Christmas. 

I have two customers who want the Cinnamon Chai from Flaming candle and one of them also wanted a vanilla. I told her that I had a new vanilla called Tahitian vanilla (NG) that smells like caramel vanilla and she wants to try that one. So those scents will be the first 2. I’m going to name the candle Caramel Vanilla because I think it will sell better. 

Merry Christmas to you and yours also!

I know this is after the fact, but congratulations on your success and your beautiful granddaughter, @GailC!  I haven't tried FC's Cinnamon Chai. I may have to order a sample. 

Edited by YellowButterfly
  • Like 1