What can I do now?

Last week I made five tins of Orange Peel and Cinnamon . I checked my records and it said I needed to wick up and I had a brain cloud and wicked down. So now I have five candles that are significantly under wicked. So far my best Idea is to scoop the wax out and use it in the melter.

Use a knife or similar to dig out a core and remove/replace the wick.  Needle nose pliers usually do the trick to pop the tabs. If pulling by the neck does not work, pry from an edge.

press the removed wax back down firmly around the new wick. Heat gun smooth.  Cure a day or so.

• Like 3

I've taken whole candles and heated them in a low oven until the entire candle was melted. Can't tell you how many times I've done that and it didn't hurt the wax or fragrance in the least. I put the candles in a flat cake pan with 2" sides in case a glass ever broke. I didn't want the wax to go all over my oven. But it never happened. I still like to be safe just in case. It takes about 30 minutes to an hour for the wax to melt depending on how big/small the candle is.

Over the years I have saved a bunch of candle goofs that way.

Just be sure you have oven mitts on to handle the hot jars and have new wicked jars waiting so you can pour the liquid wax into them as soon as you take them out of the oven.

Edited by Candybee
  • Like 3

I made a mess with a candle last week by filling one just a bit too much and then when it had surface flaws that wouldn't seem to let go, I didn't have any room to move (i.e., no way to do a top pour/repour since I was already too high up in the container to put the lid on!) ... so, I had to scrape wax off the top, warm it up, do my repour and all was well.  It's amazing how wax "heals" after these types of things, but it does.  This would have been better if it were a parasoy, however, rather than soy, as a few days later, there were some frosting issues on the top of that one, but it wasn't too bad and no one is ever going to know what it went through to look presentable ... candles are a lot like us!  😗

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Candybee said:

I've taken whole candles and heated them in a low oven until the entire candle was melted. Can't tell you how many times I've done that and it didn't hurt the wax or fragrance in the least. I put the candles in a flat cake pan with 2" sides in case a glass ever broke. I didn't want the wax to go all over my oven. But it never happened. I still like to be safe just in case. It takes about 30 minutes to an hour for the wax to melt depending on how big/small the candle is.

Over the years I have saved a bunch of candle goofs that way.

Just be sure you have oven mitts on to handle the hot jars and have new wicked jars waiting so you can pour the liquid wax into them as soon as you take them out of the oven.

If I did that I could probably re-pour the tins with an FO that needed to be wicked down. I'll have to look at my list to see what might go with  Orange Peel and Cinnamon in case there is residue in the the tin.

32 minutes ago, Forrest said:

If I did that I could probably re-pour the tins with an FO that needed to be wicked down. I'll have to look at my list to see what might go with  Orange Peel and Cinnamon in case there is residue in the the tin.

You might be able to but usually tins in the oven the wick tab will lift.  You may have to just throw those wicks away and reuse the tins with same scent.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, kandlekrazy said:

You might be able to but usually tins in the oven the wick tab will lift.  You may have to just throw those wicks away and reuse the tins with same scent.

Maybe not, because these were new tins. I always have to work at getting the wick tabs off of new tins, but unless extraordinary lengths were gone to in cleaning the old tins the tabs slip off with ease.

• Like 1

On 12/13/2018 at 8:24 AM, TallTayl said:

Use a knife or similar to dig out a core and remove/replace the wick.  Needle nose pliers usually do the trick to pop the tabs. If pulling by the neck does not work, pry from an edge.

press the removed wax back down firmly around the new wick. Heat gun smooth.  Cure a day or so.

At first I was leaning toward the melting method because the outcome included five new candles, but that method required the curing to start over and I'm already a week in. So I did exactly what you said and it worked perfectly, I even fixed the one where the wick was off center. There was one thing, I'm down to one CD10 wick. I've learned to look at these things opportunities instead of problems, so I have the opportunity to place another order with Flaming😊

• Like 2