Essential oil vs fragrance oil

Hello everyone,

I was at a show this weekend in a rather affluent town and several people asked about how my candles are fragranced. I did my speal on why I use fragrance oils and the disadvantages to using many essential oils in candles but with all the hype of the essential oil sellers out there now many people were not convinced on what I was saying. Has anyone ever put together any kind of hand out on the use of fragrance oils vs essential oils in candles? If so would you be willing to share? I generally stress how they are great in bath and body products but not needed in candles. It is difficult to get a good strong throw with many of the essential oils and the price point would be much higher especially with the price of a good patchouli essential oil. 

Just curious how everyone else handles it or should I just ignore the people that do the walk by saying they can only use an essential oil candle.

Karen in MA

10 hours ago, kfintoni said:

should I just ignore the people that do the walk by saying they can only use an essential oil candle.

If they are not willing to listen, they are not willing to be educated, so I don't not waste my time, and just let them walk on by. 

People who genuinely want to know, will listen and understand. You will learn which ones these are by the questions they ask. These are the people I take the time with and let them know how, why I scent my products as I do. 

• Like 1

It’s easier to make a stubborn donkey lead then convince a customer who is not into your product that you are right. 

That market does not contain your customers. When you find the market that does the product sells itself.

Swimming upstream is hard. I like to float down the river in my older age. 

• Like 1

I gave up.  I just tell them I don't have what they are looking for, people are stubborn (myself included, lol).  I do still make a few EO candles in small jars because I know certain scents will throw.  I created a whole line of EO melts because I got so many requests and very few sold in a 6 month period so the majority of people don't care, they look downright fugly after 6 months so not wasting EO on those. 

• Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 11:57 PM, kfintoni said:

Hello everyone,

I was at a show this weekend in a rather affluent town and several people asked about how my candles are fragranced. I did my speal on why I use fragrance oils and the disadvantages to using many essential oils in candles but with all the hype of the essential oil sellers out there now many people were not convinced on what I was saying. Has anyone ever put together any kind of hand out on the use of fragrance oils vs essential oils in candles? If so would you be willing to share? I generally stress how they are great in bath and body products but not needed in candles. It is difficult to get a good strong throw with many of the essential oils and the price point would be much higher especially with the price of a good patchouli essential oil. 

Just curious how everyone else handles it or should I just ignore the people that do the walk by saying they can only use an essential oil candle.

Karen in MA

So, what do they say exactly?  They're walking by your table, take a look at your candle scent names and then say they only use candles that are scented with essential oil? 

I personally feel that e/o's are wonderful, but not in candles ... they have many uses, but heating them in wax is not the best way to appreciate them, imo.

• Like 1