Just bought some new soap boxes

Candybee

They are not actually soap boxes but that is what I am going to use these for. I am replacing my old tired cardboard boxes with them. They were starting to fall apart from years of use so I decided to upgrade. I was thrilled to find they are the same size as the cardboard boxes I am currently using:

194363721_soapboxes.thumb.jpg.6fbe8694004b3cc08e5f811f186a946f.jpg

These are the old boxes I am retiring. They have been great but they are getting pretty shabby after years of use.

ElktonXmas4.thumb.jpg.2dfd67aa607913eb7be95c4377a19a75.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks for looking. I just ordered them so it will be another week or so before I get them. So I am trying to decide what to do with them. I am pretty sure I want to seal them to protect them against the weather so I am thinking of staining them and sealing them. They are made with plywood and all I can find out about it is to not use an oil based stain. I guess I need to go to Lowe's and ask them about treating the wood and what to buy. I do want to keep them natural looking as I like the color of the wood in the picture.

If anyone here has experience staining and sealing plywood I would love to hear your thoughts. Thanks.

• Like 1

Very nice Candybee! My .02, I would keep the color very light. Your lovely soaps will stand out more! 

I think you can get stains that are suitable for raw plywood at the craft stores, as opposed to a stain you'd use for floors or something. You can definitely get some good sealer at AC Moore or Michaels. 

• Like 1

Thanks Sarah. Went to Lowes today and they helped me find what I needed. I don't need to pre-treat the boxes or stain them. I found a poly-on satin seal. I think that's the name. Anyway I just wipe it on with a cloth, let it dry, and viola! The coating will help water and weatherproof while sealing the boxes without changing the natural color of the wood. I am so thankful because I don't have to do a ton of work and I really wanted to keep that natural color of the wood.

• Like 4