Help!

Ok, so I'm relatively new to candle making, but I've already sold over 50 candles within the space of a week. However, during that week I had to change wax twice because I used the wrong kinds. Now I've decided to go to IGI 4630 wax (I'm making container candles). What I need help on is, how do you guys measure your fragrance oil? I've tried by weight but all I got in my jars was a mess that had too much fragrance so it curdled. I had used 7% fragrance, but I was using a "General Purpose Candle Making Wax" that didn't specify a fragrance load. Please help!

Edited by TheGreyDragon

You're selling candles, but you don't know what you're doing?  The first thing I would do is stop selling candles until I knew I had a tested product that I was fully confident about.  These are candles, unlike most other crafts, they need to be taken seriously.  It's an art and a science that deserves the time and patience to make a safe, enjoyable product.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I 100% agree with birdcharm. I can't stress enough how important a SAFE Candle is and it takes a lot of testing, trial and error. I also wouldn't sell a candle until I was properly licensed (depending on your states laws) and insured. And even then, I'd need to be confident I used to right recipe/formulation that was safe and effective. Someone can burn their house down with an improperly made candle. Sure, it may be rare, but it does happen. 

That all being said, you can learn how much your jar holds and then measure out candle wax, FO, etc., by weight with a kitchen-type scale. You want a consistent candle, so I take a lot of notes during testing so that as I make adjustments and settle on a final formula, I can keep it consistent moving forward. 

• Like 1

To answer your question, I take the amount of wax I use in my container and multiply by the percentage of oil I want to use.  Most ppl use 6%, but your 7% should be fine.  Most of us tested until we came up with a percentage of oil that worked with our wax and wick.  Wax retailers will often tell you how much fragrance the wax will hold, but I would never go that high. . .like 10% for many soy waxes but not all.  I use approximately 7.15% oil.  My pint canning jar holds 12 ounces so I use 11.2 ounces of wax and .8 ounces of oil. (11.2*.0715=.8 ounces is the way I figure mine)

So having said all that, you really should go back to square one and test, test, test, as others will tell you.  Start with wax and wick without fragrance until you find the wick that works as close to perfect start to FINISH (burning all the way down in the container).  Gosh, so much information on this forum and people willing to help.  You will find many posts with the basics all in one post once you start searching.  

Have  fun!

GoldieMN

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TheGreyDragon said:

Ok, so I'm relatively new to candle making, but I've already sold over 50 candles within the space of a week. However, during that week I had to change wax twice because I used the wrong kinds. Now I've decided to go to IGI 4630 wax (I'm making container candles). What I need help on is, how do you guys measure your fragrance oil? I've tried by weight but all I got in my jars was a mess that had too much fragrance so it curdled. I had used 7% fragrance, but I was using a "General Purpose Candle Making Wax" that didn't specify a fragrance load. Please help!

Not sure what you mean by curdling. Fragrance oil (FO) does not curdle in wax. Re fragrance load for your wax, you should follow the recommendations from the wax manufacturer. Many waxes on the market work well with 6% FO load. Some waxes may need a little more and some a little less. 

I would do a little research to make sure you are using the wax you want to use for your container candles. Then stick with that wax until you know it inside and out. 

The questions you are asking indicate that you are not ready for selling. You should know the answers to those questions before you start selling. Only when you have a thoroughly tested candle that you can depend on that works properly and safely will you then be able to sell or give to friends and family. Until then keep working on it as I am sure you will get there. Asking questions is the right way to move forward and this is definitely a great place to ask questions.

IGI 4630 wax is also known as Harmony Blend and is similar to their Comfort blend only in a slab form. Its a good wax to work with and is supposed to be a single pour wax making fairly easy to work with. You can research the wax and manufacturer to find instructions for how to use it. You will want to understand and know all the temps associated with working with this wax, melting point, heating, pouring, flash point, etc. How hot to heat it for adding fragrance, color, etc., and when to pour it.  You may also find wick recommendations for the wax from different candle wick suppliers and by asking on this forum.

Once you start testing you may have more specific questions and this would be a great place to ask.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I use 4630 wax exclusively for container candles and depending on the particular FO, I use between 5 and 8% FO load.  I also use Eco wicks in my containers.

I too am confused by the term of ''curdling".

For 4630 wax:  heat your wax to 160, remove from heat, add your FO, stir well and then pour into you container......walk away and wait for the candle to complete cool.........then test it............lite that baby up and watch to see how your chosen wick burns in the container.

Sometimes, candle making  can be a little scarry but it is all about TESTING....(AKA..is the wick the appropriate size for the container)

Please tell us what type of containers you are using...then we can offer more help going forward.