Calling All C-1 Users

On 1/8/2019 at 3:37 PM, ellajoan said:

Hi GoldieMN!  I am also using Premiers as one of my wick testers in the C-1, and haven't tried burning a cured candle yet with it.  How is your cold throw with the C-1?  Mine is pretty strong right from the get-go.  

Hi EllaJoan!  Have you tried burning the cured candle yet?  

Just checking in with how my C-1 testing is going.  I'm using pint, wide-mouth Ball canning jars, 6% oil, curing two weeks, power burning about 6 hours each day.  I started with Premier 775 wicks in all ten testers as that wick worked the best in my no-fragrance testers.  I got a pretty good strong throw from five fragrances during the first burn.  Four of these fragrances worked well for me in the past; one was a new fragrance.  Four of the other new fragrances tested didn't give me the hot throw I want.  I should have gone to a bigger wick right away when I noticed little hot throw as I don't want customers to have to burn a candle halfway before smelling it.  I'm giving up on Rustic Escentuals Apple Strudel as I just can't seem to find the right wick.  It has been one of my favorite fragrances in the past but just can't get the right wicking anymore.  Last one, Cinnamon Broom, is a new one for me but I've had to wick up three times.  Now I'm in the bottom 1/4 of the jar so I need to start over with that one.  One more thing, with the five that had a good hot throw, I'm continuing to burn the testers to the bottom for heat and clean jar sides.

One question, we are suppose to stay at 6% or under for C-1, right?

GoldieMN

Just my 2 cents here, but I wouldn't put a lid on and wait for the candle to harden... but that's just my 2 cents.....what do I know.   I just know from testing a time or 2 even when I put a paper towel over a candle that I was waiting for it to harden up, it screwed up the whole candle.

Trappeur

16 minutes ago, ellajoan said:

I've been using 8% fo for most of my testers.  Have only found one that doesn't throw decently.  GoldieMN, what is the diameter in your jar?  Just made a bunch of testers today using our bestsellers from 464.  

I'm using wide-mouth pint jars which are 3 1/4" glass edge to glass edge.  Poured another 13 testers today only two I used in 464.  For some reason, I thought we were told no more than 6%.  Maybe that is just for C-3?  Does "throw decently" mean it fills a large room? 

GoldieMN

10 hours ago, ellajoan said:

The handling sheet for C1 says maximum of 10%, but we've had good success with 7-8%.  We've had one tea scented candle that doesn't throw well even in a smaller room, whereas most of the C1 testers have thrown well in a larger room.  

Ok, thanks.  I will pour a couple more testers today and up the fragrance load.

GoldieMN 

4 hours ago, GoldieMN said:

Ok, thanks.  I will pour a couple more testers today and up the fragrance load.

GoldieMN 

I would pour one or two of the same FO you have at 6% to see if there is a real difference.  More is not always  better.

c1 seems to be popular with huge candle manufacturers.  If they get great throw with less we should also. That equals more profit, which is AOK in my book. 

1 hour ago, TallTayl said:

I would pour one or two of the same FO you have at 6% to see if there is a real difference.  More is not always  better.

c1 seems to be popular with huge candle manufacturers.  If they get great throw with less we should also. That equals more profit, which is AOK in my book. 

I totally agree.  I have enough samples to test and need to just move on when something doesn't work.  The three oils that had little throw at 6% are the ones I poured today as testers at 7.5% since I have large bottles of those. 

I actually have 21 testers, now, waiting for the two-week cure.  Then it will be wick-swapping time if the Premier 775s don't work as they did in my fragrance-free testers.  I'll be out of C1 before I even get a candle made to sell! ;)

GoldieMN

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2019 at 10:44 AM, TallTayl said:

Whom are these huge candle manufacturers and how do you know they use C1 if you don't mind me asking?

If this is not a problem for users, then I messed up.  The one thing different, this time, was having them cool in front of a hot pellet stove.  So next batch, I am going back to a heater which doesn't have anywhere near the heat that these candles cooled in front of. 

GoldieMN

Just now, GoldieMN said:

If this is not a problem for users, then I messed up.  The one thing different, this time, was having them cool in front of a hot pellet stove.  So next batch, I am going back to a heater which doesn't have anywhere near the heat that these candles cooled in front of. 

GoldieMN

That would surely change the cool down 

On 2/14/2019 at 11:43 AM, Crafty1_AJ said:

I should have clarified my comment above.  The only time I've had the seepage problem with soy is when I've tried to smooth out the top with a heat gun.  Caveat:  Have not worked with C-1.  Just talking soy candles in general.

So what do you do, second pours?

GoldieMN

Heat gunning c1 is not a problem. I’ve pushed the limits of it everal times and have not had seepage. I’ve heat gunned 1/4”-1/2” to see what would happen and they cooled fine. 

my gut tells me your seeping issue has more to do with cooling in front of the pellet stove. The hot air rushing out over the cooling candles causes much different rates of cooling within the wax than the manufacturer intended. 

During my many soy wax test attempts, the only time I had a MAJOR seepage issue was when I put the candles in a VERY HOT insulated box to slowly cool.  Half of the testers were not in insulated box and no seepage at all!  When I dug down in the ones that were seeping the wax was a weird almost gelatin like substance. They never did setup.  I melted them down and repoured with normal cool down and they looked normal again no seepage!  Of course they were still ugly like most of my testers but no seepage😏!  That was gb464 not c1

Edited by gls
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gls said:

During my many soy wax test attempts, the only time I had a MAJOR seepage issue was when I put the candles in a VERY HOT insulated box to slowly cool.  Half of the testers were not in insulated box and no seepage at all!  When I dug down in the ones that were seeping the wax was a weird almost gelatin like substance. They never did setup.  I melted them down and repoured with normal cool down and they looked normal again no seepage!  Of course they were still ugly like most of my testers but no seepage😏!  That was gb464 not c1

All this makes total sense, doesn’t it? Soy wax forms loads of large crystals ( “grains” ) when cooling too slow, just like palm wax. The difference being palm wax grains are pretty and STABLE.

Soy wax is about as unstable and irregular as you can get.  The oily fractions and fragrance had nowhere to stay in the large soy grains.