Calling All C-1 Users

I'm not finding a lot of posts of people using C1 soy/palm wax.  So if you are using C1, I would appreciate any tips, suggestions, instructions as I just ordered 50 lbs. to test along with C3 (which I ordered weeks ago after throwing in the 464 towel but didn't test yet).  I am not asking anyone to share trade secrets!  @TallTayl has already suggested a few things which I appreciate!  And I am ok with doing this all on my own.  :)  Will certainly share my results with all of you when done testing.

GoldieMN

• Thanks 1

Poured a few testers of C-1 today--poured much cooler than usual, at 105, and the wax was slushie.  Tops look terrible--thinking I'll need to pour hotter next time.  The photo with smoother top was after a few seconds with the heat gun, so at least it's fixable.  Excited to burn and determine wick brand/size.  Will keep you posted.  

IMG_3921.JPG

IMG_3922.JPG

• Like 1

I am testing for wicks right now (no fo or additives) and am not loving how it looks between burns.  So far HTP looks promising, Premier might (if I wick up).  CD burned way too hot, and the flame on the Eco is like a torch.  This wax burns very slowly!  I am 17 hours in with test burns and not much wax has been used up.  Wondering how that will transfer to HT?  Will make some testers w/ fo today, cure for 7-14 days, and then see how those fare.  

• Like 1

Def withhold judgement until you burn one with fo.  You will see why I made the switch. Having a candle that you can actually smell strongly and cleanly while burning is pretty amazing given all the crapola of the soy industry since 2016. IMO these new c1 candles smell better burning (and while making) than any C3, 415, midwest, millennium, etc. I’ve made in the last 10 years. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Def withhold judgement until you burn one with fo.  You will see why I made the switch. Having a candle that you can actually smell strongly and cleanly while burning is pretty amazing given all the crapola of the soy industry since 2016. IMO these new c1 candles smell better burning (and while making) than any C3, 415, midwest, millennium, etc. I’ve made in the last 10 years. 

I like it so far as well-  they seem superior to any other soy containing wax out there these days  

@ellajoan- that looks pretty darn good for in between burn- what did you used to use before?

you would cry with 415 if you think that’s bad 😂

3 hours ago, strugglebrother said:

That looks not bad at all for being soy wax... 444 looks like a bomb dropped in the candle between burns...

Maybe throw some paraffin in it, might help?

Ikr??? 444 is the worst looking wax and notorious for cracking as well but it does have a powerful punch for soy- I will give it that 

10 hours ago, moonshine said:

Ikr??? 444 is the worst looking wax and notorious for cracking as well but it does have a powerful punch for soy- I will give it that 

Yes, 444 has the best cold throw there is when it comes to soy. I have done many testers and 444 always comes out the strongest.

Hot throw, that is another matter tho... 

• 3 weeks later...

I started testing wicks in C-1 and C-3 three weeks ago.  Decided, for now, to test C-1 with fragrances and Premier 775 wicks as that wick did the best as far as heat and hangup on jars.  When I have more time, I will get back to the C-3.  Yesterday, I poured nine fragranced wide-mouth pint jars.  In two weeks, I will place the Premier 775s in them and light 'em up. :)  The mixtures cooled so fast that I poured at 125 into oven-heated jars, then left to firm up on a heated seed-starter mat in front of a heater.  I also placed the lids as soon as I put them on the mat.  Lots of new things going on in this test from what I did with 464.  I'm excited to see what kind of hot throw I will get.  Trying three new fragrances as well as six that had been good with 464.  I will post a photo of the tops soon.

GoldieMN

@ellajoan I haven't noticed a difference from the 464, yet , in cold throw.  Fingers crossed!  I'm attaching a photo of the cured tops.  I cured them with lids on as I am hoping to be able to drill holes in lids and use them as wick holders in the future.  So not sure if what you see is from that or from pour temp, from room temp, etc. but can fix in the future with a heat gun if I decide to go this way and everything else works out.

GoldieMN

c1 tops with lids.jpg

• Like 1