Gsmakinsoap

Filling 8 oz bottles with lotion

Hi guys, this is probably a stupid question, but if I have these 8 oz pet bottles and I want to fill them with lotion, and put 8 fl oz on the label, do I have to fill them to the very top? If so,  what about if I need to put a pump in it...that would then displace some of the lotion (as much as a tablespoon, probably) and then it wouldn't really be 8 oz, anymore, would it? So, then if I use a pump, I'd have to label it as 7.5 fl oz, or what? I notice all the commercial lotion I see goes by fl oz versus just oz.

Thanks for any light y'all can shine on this for me!

Does the bottle indicate where the fill line is? you would fill to the fill line (if it doesn't indicate on the bottle, maybe the place of purchase can help) The fill line just be a bit below the neck so you can add a pump if need be. 8 fl oz of lotion will not necessarily (and most likely not) weigh 8 oz. Fl oz is volume where as oz is weight. 

On 12/5/2018 at 4:02 PM, Gsmakinsoap said:

Hi guys, this is probably a stupid question, but if I have these 8 oz pet bottles and I want to fill them with lotion, and put 8 fl oz on the label, do I have to fill them to the very top? If so,  what about if I need to put a pump in it...that would then displace some of the lotion (as much as a tablespoon, probably) and then it wouldn't really be 8 oz, anymore, would it? So, then if I use a pump, I'd have to label it as 7.5 fl oz, or what? I notice all the commercial lotion I see goes by fl oz versus just oz.

Thanks for any light y'all can shine on this for me!

Do you fill the pump tube with lotion prior to inserting it into the bottle?

On 12/5/2018 at 2:20 PM, Jcandleattic said:

Does the bottle indicate where the fill line is? you would fill to the fill line (if it doesn't indicate on the bottle, maybe the place of purchase can help) The fill line just be a bit below the neck so you can add a pump if need be. 8 fl oz of lotion will not necessarily (and most likely not) weigh 8 oz. Fl oz is volume where as oz is weight. 

Ok, thanks! I didn't know there was a fill line. So, even though I don't know where that line is, I'll just fill it as full as I can and still be able to add a pump. 

15 hours ago, birdcharm said:

Do you fill the pump tube with lotion prior to inserting it into the bottle?

That's a good idea, I hadn't thought of that.

• Like 1