Filling 8 oz bottles with lotion

Gsmakinsoap

Hi guys, this is probably a stupid question, but if I have these 8 oz pet bottles and I want to fill them with lotion, and put 8 fl oz on the label, do I have to fill them to the very top? If so,  what about if I need to put a pump in it...that would then displace some of the lotion (as much as a tablespoon, probably) and then it wouldn't really be 8 oz, anymore, would it? So, then if I use a pump, I'd have to label it as 7.5 fl oz, or what? I notice all the commercial lotion I see goes by fl oz versus just oz.

Thanks for any light y'all can shine on this for me!

Does the bottle indicate where the fill line is? you would fill to the fill line (if it doesn't indicate on the bottle, maybe the place of purchase can help) The fill line just be a bit below the neck so you can add a pump if need be. 8 fl oz of lotion will not necessarily (and most likely not) weigh 8 oz. Fl oz is volume where as oz is weight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/5/2018 at 4:02 PM, Gsmakinsoap said:

Hi guys, this is probably a stupid question, but if I have these 8 oz pet bottles and I want to fill them with lotion, and put 8 fl oz on the label, do I have to fill them to the very top? If so,  what about if I need to put a pump in it...that would then displace some of the lotion (as much as a tablespoon, probably) and then it wouldn't really be 8 oz, anymore, would it? So, then if I use a pump, I'd have to label it as 7.5 fl oz, or what? I notice all the commercial lotion I see goes by fl oz versus just oz.

Thanks for any light y'all can shine on this for me!

Do you fill the pump tube with lotion prior to inserting it into the bottle?

On 12/5/2018 at 2:20 PM, Jcandleattic said:

Does the bottle indicate where the fill line is? you would fill to the fill line (if it doesn't indicate on the bottle, maybe the place of purchase can help) The fill line just be a bit below the neck so you can add a pump if need be. 8 fl oz of lotion will not necessarily (and most likely not) weigh 8 oz. Fl oz is volume where as oz is weight. 

Ok, thanks! I didn't know there was a fill line. So, even though I don't know where that line is, I'll just fill it as full as I can and still be able to add a pump. 

• 3 weeks later...

If your bottles don't have a fill line, fill one with 8 oz by weight of water and mark it as your template bottle. There's a 1:1 relationship between the volume and weight of water, so anything that reaches that line (you can eyeball it using the template bottle for comparison) will have a volume of 8 fluid ounces. 

If you decide to label by weight - easier and more accurate imho - an 8 oz bottle will hold more than 8 oz of anything with a higher specific gravity than water, which is pretty much everything we make. For example, I need to put 6.75 oz of lotion in a 6 oz cylinder bottle or it just doesn't look full enough.

I don't pre-fill pump tubes. Life is too short!  But, if you open the pump before inserting the tube it will allow air to escape. Once pump top is screwed down, just lock down the pump.

Hope this helps!

Edited by WateryMountain
Typo

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Is there an easy way to actually get the lotion in the bottles?   I'm using a really thick lotion base from BB.  It will not pour.  It sits on a funnel for minutes.  I currently use a large pump, from the mixing container (awkward) .    Should I buy something to assist in this?  (used up 2 gallons of lotion base and just ordered 70 pounds)

6 hours ago, Dirt Roads said:

Is there an easy way to actually get the lotion in the bottles?   I'm using a really thick lotion base from BB.  It will not pour.  It sits on a funnel for minutes.  I currently use a large pump, from the mixing container (awkward) .    Should I buy something to assist in this?  (used up 2 gallons of lotion base and just ordered 70 pounds)

I use a piping bag for cake decorating.  I fill the bag and cut the tip off and pipe into the bottle. Give the bottle a little bang on the counter once in while.

Edited by Shari
  • Like 1

I originally bought the flip top but that absolutely will not work.   Now I'm using a normal pump for a 6 oz bottle and it seems to work fine for customers  It's the BB aloe lotion base.    The 70 pounds will make close to 200 lotions.  I don't see making a lot more than 200-300 lotions a year.  I like the zip lock bags or piping idea.  I'm looking into one of those inexpensive filling machines but will see how fast the lotions continue to sell. 

Edited by Dirt Roads

I looked at that gas. You can warm it up to 100 degrees which will help with the viscosity. This will help keep it more fluid to get into bottle. That formula contains rice bran oil which doesn’t have a super long shelf life so make sure you keep checking for rancidity.

I am surprised they used that oil because of the shelf life. Try and use the base ASAP.

• Like 1

This is disappointing to find out about the shelf life.   BB said it had a one year shelf life ............  I was really hoping this base to be a staple because customers are loving it.   Thanks for looking it up.