Slack Wax...

I recently bought about fifty pounds of 'slack wax' or micro-paraffin wax thinking it was the same as paraffin wax and was disappointed to realize the scope of my mistake...I tried making a jar candle of 50% paraffin and 50% slack wax and (although it actually turned out quite nicely) it is tunneling in a way that doesn't give me much hope for it to self-correct...It's been burning for over three hours now, and there's a half inch ring the goes around the jar even though the wax has burned down over an inch...

Can anybody tell me how I can use up this slack wax and get it to burn properly...Do I need to up the paraffin...Would soy work better than paraffin...Would stearine help???

Thanks in advance...

Edited by Brilig

• 2 weeks later...

Don't have a clue on how to advise you on how to use up this wax but I'd probably use it in some sort of tarts.......where wicks/burns don't come into play. ............ only because I don't have a clue what '''''''''slack wax''''''''''''is.

On 12/5/2018 at 2:56 PM, Brilig said:

It's been burning for over three hours now, and there's a half inch ring the goes around the jar even though the wax has burned down over an inch...

Dont have a clue about this wax either but it seems you may need to wick up at the very least. What type of jar? What size is the largest diameter? What wick/size? Fragrance load? Cure time? 

Without any of this info and more its tough for us to properly diagnose the issue.  But for now, pull that wick, heat gun the top to smooth that ring back flush to the top, poke a hole down the middle and stick a bigger wick in there and re test.  Also may consider double wicking but again, with minimal info Im just throwing out ideas.

Good luck mate

Uh..after a quick google search I found this Pam.

"Slack wax is petroleum product; the raw material of paraffin wax, Slack wax is a mixture of oil and wax in yellow or brown color, processed by pressing to decrease the oil content and discoloring by special powders after heating to produce paraffin wax.Slack wax verifies from light to heavy grades based on its melting ..."

It seems slack wax is the BEFORE product to paraffin wax. Meaning, it has to be refined further for it to even become paraffin so there is probably loads of impurities still in there that would clog a wick.  Best bet for @Brilig is to stop any further use of this in candles and maybe try to resell on ebay *SHRUG*