In desperate need of wicking feedback please!

I have an order for one of my new scents-Kentucky Bourbon from FC.  It's a fabulous scent but wicking this bugger has been a challenge.  

I use 6006, 16 oz ss amber jar.  I started with a CD 10 (too small), then tried a Z60 (only had one left so when it fell over in the jar I switched to CD 12), CD 12 was too big.  I poured another tester and started from scratch with a Z60.  This is what I'm seeing after 3.5 hours.  It's not smoking or going crazy but it has a full MP and scent throw is fantastic.  What do you think about this flame height etc? I have got to get this order poured and I'm just stuck. Thanks for your help!!

IMG_0292.jpg.d66dc2db793bba7fbafbc4c0d4e2012b.jpgIMG_0293.jpg.6c74526859a88bc08d61d45cb004dcab.jpgIMG_0294.jpg.23192cbf82678ce96a0703f33e99f795.jpg

The real test is the next set of burns. You’ll need to test it to at least the half way point before you see if the wick Choice is correct. Alcohol scents get very tricky. A power burn will reveal a lot too, especially toward the end.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

The real test is the next set of burns. You’ll need to test it to at least the half way point before you see if the wick Choice is correct. Alcohol scents get very tricky. A power burn will reveal a lot too, especially toward the end.  

I already did a full burn on a test with this scent which got me to the point of having to do another one from scratch.  I'm just trying to determine at this point if this a good start with this wick.  I'm not familiar with the zinc wicks so I don't know if this flame looks too big, etc.  Do you think this is a good start or pull it out and go with something smaller?  I don't want to keep going with burns and wasting time if this initial burn is off course.  

Sorry can't help with your wax or zinc wicks but I'm surprised you had a problem with that scent.  I've not wicked it, only melts but it just didn't hit me a scent that would cause problems.  I was considering making my son a few candles with it for Christmas, now I know I might have to play with wicks.  He knows how to test candles for me but I'd like the wick right or close to right.

Edited by kandlekrazy

9 minutes ago, kandlekrazy said:

Sorry can't help with your wax or zinc wicks but I'm surprised you had a problem with that scent.  I've not wicked it, only melts but it just didn't hit me a scent that would cause problems.  I was considering making my son a few candles with it for Christmas, now I know I might have to play with wicks.  He knows how to test candles for me but I'd like the wick right or close to right.

If I didn't love this FO believe me, I wouldn't be jacking around with this when I have so many orders to fill *shudder*

Can someone just tell me what you think about this flame and MP at this stage--it doesn't matter what your experience is with this wax or wick.  Just a visual opinion?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bfroberts said:

How long has the candle cured?

A week.  I don't have the luxury of letting it cure any longer than that as I need to get these poured.  I'm not willing to sacrifice quality, believe me.  I know you had mentioned that a longer cure time in larger containers when using the zinc wicks is important to determine wick size.  

Just looking at the pictures Lightmyfire I'm thinking your going to have to go with a smaller wick....but like TT said, I would test burn it to at least the 1/2 mark.... 

If you want to cheat a bit, how bout scraping out wax out from the jar down to the 1/2way mark and then burn it or pour another jar 1/2 full and test burn it.   I have had to do that at times.....you know?

Trappeur

• Like 2

In my experience, a 6006 candle that has cured for say...a month...will have a smaller MP than one that is freshly poured.  A candle that looks a tad over wicked can be perfect with a longer cure. 

I found this out for sure and for certain after pouring cases ahead of time based on a week's cure and pulling them out later.  They were underwicked later although they were perfect when I first stored them. It was true of every one, and it was many different scents. So I learned to cure longer.  But that's just MY experience. Most people balk at that tale, so I don't know if my experience is the exception or the rule. 

I would have recommended 60z for that candle, and I'm inclined to think it'll be perfect.  If you'd said your candle had cured much longer I would have suggested testing 51z although I've never been able to use a 51z in that jar.  Ever.  But factors (environmental, wax batch, and otherwise) being what they are, the only way to know is to do the full cure and a full burn test.  I wouldn't pour a bunch without being certain. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You asked about the flame height and I forgot to give my opinion.   Being that this is an initial burning at the beginning of the candle, in all honesty that wick needs to be clipped shorter right now.   It will lower the flame height and help some, but you are still at the beginning stage and your probably going to get that big a bloom on the tip of the wick once you start burning again......sorry I know you probably didn't want to hear this....just my opinion.   Right now, I think you need a smaller wick.....well, so much for my opinion......

Trappeur

• Like 1

Just looking I'd say the flame is a bit big but it's so hard when it's your first burn, that flame could shrink way down as it enters the glass container and if you wick down too much may drown.  I'd wait and see how it does after 2 or 3 burns or better yet do a power burn like your customers will.

• Like 1