Photographing products for on-line sales

Forrest

9 hours ago, Quentin said:

How do you take a picture of a burning candle with all that glare? I'm guessing you use some sort of filter over the lens?

Either meter off the flame or manually increase your shutter speed.  You may need to post process the image a bit.  

• Thanks 1

@quentin  If you are using an iphone the phone should correct for any flame flare. I take pics of lit candles all the time in many light conditions with no flare or glare from the flame. Just tap on the phone screen right over the flame and the little sun icon will come up on your screen and correct any glare on that spot.  If you want to take square pics- without the need to crop a rectangular pic down-  you can also just use the "square" pic setting on your phone.  And if you want to crop further, use the iphone photo editor.  With a little practice you can take stunning pics using just your iphone and natural light that are great for web use.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, MilosCandles said:

Can you post a sample?

You lighting may not be good enough (bright enough) to begin with.

Yes I can do that. I'll post one here shortly. I'm using an Android phone, by the way.

5 hours ago, pughaus said:

@quentin  If you are using an iphone the phone should correct for any flame flare. I take pics of lit candles all the time in many light conditions with no flare or glare from the flame. Just tap on the phone screen right over the flame and the little sun icon will come up on your screen and correct any glare on that spot.  If you want to take square pics- without the need to crop a rectangular pic down-  you can also just use the "square" pic setting on your phone.  And if you want to crop further, use the iphone photo editor.  With a little practice you can take stunning pics using just your iphone and natural light that are great for web use.

I'm using an Android. Using the advice I've gotten here I'm getting much better pictures. Since I'm not using Iphone, I'll look around the Android camera app and see what I can find. Thank you.

7 minutes ago, Quentin said:

Yes I can do that. I'll post one here shortly. I'm using an Android phone, by the way.

In fact, I'll wait till the morning and see what natural daylight does for it, but I'm going to take one now using the light in this room.

8 hours ago, Quentin said:

In fact, I'll wait till the morning and see what natural daylight does for it, but I'm going to take one now using the light in this room.

If you focus on the flame, the rest of the image will be very dark without added lighting, so the daylight should help.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Paintguru said:

If you focus on the flame, the rest of the image will be very dark without added lighting, so the daylight should help.  

You're right. I noticed that last night. I'm using a low end Android, the Samsung J3. So when you say "focus on the flame", I'm really not sure what you mean or if this cheap phone even has that capability. I've just never been one to take very many pictures. Either way, I started looking through the manual settings last night and found the metering function that you and some of the  others mentioned. You touch on the screen and the little circle pops up On this cheap phone, it seems to be limited in what it can do. I'm due for a new phone here soon anyway. 

8 hours ago, Quentin said:

You're right. I noticed that last night. I'm using a low end Android, the Samsung J3. So when you say "focus on the flame", I'm really not sure what you mean or if this cheap phone even has that capability. I've just never been one to take very many pictures. Either way, I started looking through the manual settings last night and found the metering function that you and some of the  others mentioned. You touch on the screen and the little circle pops up On this cheap phone, it seems to be limited in what it can do. I'm due for a new phone here soon anyway. 

All cell phones are basically the same.  You tap on the screen where you want to focus and meter.  Since it is setting the exposure so the flame is properly exposed, everything else will be dark.  It does this (I assume), by increasing the shutter speed.  The easiest way to fix this would be in post processing by increasing the exposure of the surrounding area and (ideally) leaving the flame as is.  

• Like 1

On 1/7/2019 at 9:31 PM, Quentin said:

On 1/8/2019 at 6:44 PM, Paintguru said:

All cell phones are basically the same.  You tap on the screen where you want to focus and meter.  Since it is setting the exposure so the flame is properly exposed, everything else will be dark.  It does this (I assume), by increasing the shutter speed.  The easiest way to fix this would be in post processing by increasing the exposure of the surrounding area and (ideally) leaving the flame as is.  

On 1/8/2019 at 6:44 PM, Paintguru said:

The natural daylight method works as many of you suggested. These two pictures were taken right beside a window with the light coming in from the left (west) side within just minutes of each other.  Obviously there's plenty of room for improvement, but no more massive glare from the flame. These will do while I learn more about using a camera. I did pick up a little trick on my own.  Didn't change the position of the candle or camera. In one picture, you'll notice the little glare on the back top of the glass. In the second picture it's gone. I just rubbed a little Chapstick on the top rim and the little glare is gone. I love to improvise.

20190109_170502.thumb.jpg.237f167989f00f145528879300bab3e7.jpg

20190109_170420.thumb.jpg.63bd4f65b75090b4d847738e07342b16.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

My first attempt at a "group pic".  May add a few more candles into the mix.  This was taken with my iPhone...may pull out my real camera at some point to increase depth of field since the lettering on the back candles seems a bit out of focus.

Group Pic #1-2.jpg

Edited by Paintguru
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 12:45 PM, Quentin said:

I did pick up a little trick on my own.  Didn't change the position of the candle or camera. In one picture, you'll notice the little glare on the back top of the glass. In the second picture it's gone. I just rubbed a little Chapstick on the top rim and the little glare is gone. I love to improvise.

Awesome, that's a great trick with the chapstick to avoid glare on the glass. I'll have to remember that.

• 5 months later...

Came across this video channel of a Food Photographer, Joanie, and it should apply to photographing candles, wax melts and B&B products. She is really good and takes amazing photos. So, with high hopes, I want to create product photos that look like hers, haven't tried it yet. She makes it look and sound so easy.  https://www.youtube.com/thebiteshot

Edited by Laura C
  • Like 3