Photographing products for on-line sales

Forrest

In another thread TT suggested I should write an article about photographing our products, and while I have some basic knowledge in this area, unless you’re selling grandchildren or sunsets my experience is limited. So to build on my knowledge base I did a little research, and I found this excellent article on Etsy’s site. Not being one to reinvent the wheel I thought I would post this here. Also this is just one part of ETSY’s Seller Handbook which contains information on many other subjects that would be helpful to anyone wanting to sell on-line.

https://www.etsy.com/seller-handbook/article/the-ultimate-guide-to-product/143986679284

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Funny you posted this.  I have been watching my etsy site, my sales are way up from last year.  The biggest thing I changed was my pictures.  Last spring I bought a "photo Studio" on amazon and some wood like back drops.  Then then to Michael's and bought some props.  I spent like $200 total. Plus I had an empty bedroom.  LOL

I was making a new website (online store) for myself and decided I need to get some good pictures and needed specific ones for certain parts of my website.  So with a little help from my girlfriend we started playing around.  I needed something that as I added product I could easily reproduce to keep things consistent.

Last 30 Day Stats compared to same time last year.

I was paying for Ad's on Etsy but I am not any more. I was paying last year, not this year.

Total Views Up 65%

Visits Up 50%

Orders Up 130%

Revenue Up 134%

The way I interpret those stats is that

Yes more people as seeing my items, BUT WAY more are actually buying them.  

My descriptions really did not change,  my titles did not change. Tags did get tweeked a little. I did raise my prices from last year.  I always had good reviews.

I have to attribute this to the new pictures.

My old pics weren't bad,  but far from good.    Do a search on Etsy and I bet if you find good pictures they also have good amount of sales. 

FYI - This is my 4th Christmas Season on Etsy

studio.thumb.jpg.aae4d0aaa9092a66d3c090aa468715d0.jpg

bc5.thumb.jpg.deb8497adf53b8b9557a7c8d7e203c17.jpg

• Like 10

On 12/4/2018 at 1:47 PM, Forrest said:

In another thread TT suggested I should write an article about photographing our products, and while I have some basic knowledge in this area, unless you’re selling grandchildren or sunsets my experience is limited. So to build on my knowledge base I did a little research, and I found this excellent article on Etsy’s site. Not being one to reinvent the wheel I thought I would post this here. Also this is just one part of ETSY’s Seller Handbook which contains information on many other subjects that would be helpful to anyone wanting to sell on-line.

https://www.etsy.com/seller-handbook/article/the-ultimate-guide-to-product/143986679284

Very timely information. It just so happens that this is a big project that I'm struggling with right now. I'm trying to get pictures ready to put on my online store. I'm not a good photographer. Shaky hands, a miniature tripod of sorts, a cell phone, and a webcam plugged into my computer are the only things I have to work with now. It was comforting to read the comments from the other Etsy users and realize I'm not alone in all this. Getting the lighting right without glare is the biggest hurdle for me. You're right about the handbook. Browsing through it I found lots of good information that can be used regardless of whether you're using Etsy or something else.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MilosCandles said:

Funny you posted this.  I have been watching my etsy site, my sales are way up from last year.  The biggest thing I changed was my pictures.  Last spring I bought a "photo Studio" on amazon and some wood like back drops.  Then then to Michael's and bought some props.  I spent like $200 total. Plus I had an empty bedroom.  LOL

I was making a new website (online store) for myself and decided I need to get some good pictures and needed specific ones for certain parts of my website.  So with a little help from my girlfriend we started playing around.  I needed something that as I added product I could easily reproduce to keep things consistent.

Last 30 Day Stats compared to same time last year.

I was paying for Ad's on Etsy but I am not any more. I was paying last year, not this year.

Total Views Up 65%

Visits Up 50%

Orders Up 130%

Revenue Up 134%

The way I interpret those stats is that

Yes more people as seeing my items, BUT WAY more are actually buying them.  

My descriptions really did not change,  my titles did not change. Tags did get tweeked a little. I did raise my prices from last year.  I always had good reviews.

I have to attribute this to the new pictures.

My old pics weren't bad,  but far from good.    Do a search on Etsy and I bet if you find good pictures they also have good amount of sales. 

FYI - This is my 4th Christmas Season on Etsy

Your experience matches what Etsy said in one of the articles, clearly presentation is the key to online sales. BTW, nice pictures.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, MilosCandles said:

bc5.thumb.jpg.deb8497adf53b8b9557a7c8d7e203c17.jpg

I wanted to point out how Milos managed to use an interesting background while still keeping the product as the main focus. That’s the tricky part. It makes your picture interesting while drawing your attention to the product. This picture also gives you context so that you have an idea how large the product is. This makes the customers comfortable that they know what they are getting. If you read MilosCandles’ post above you can see how these things helped improve sales, so it is well worth the effort.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 12/5/2018 at 5:30 PM, Forrest said:

A light box would help with that, and they are easy to build.

I now have a light box/studio. This one:   https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5O9D0Z/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's pretty self explanatory how to set it up and use the lights that come with it. But I do have a question or two about product photography regarding the light in the room I choose to use?

Do I turn off all the overhead lights and lamps in the room?

Do I close the blinds or shutters to block out any external light from the windows?

Do I turn the box with its back toward the windows, etc?

I'm going to try this with my cell phone and my webcam, so I'll turn off the flash. I'm going to set the cell camera on the "Auto" setting. There are manual adjustments but I'm not a photographer and don't think I should try that first. I haven't owned a camera in several years, but if it comes down to it then I'll buy one. I'd rather not unless absolutely necessary. Actually, I rarely take any pictures at all. Any advice would be helpful. 

On 12/5/2018 at 2:14 PM, MilosCandles said:

That's terrific, congrats on your increased sales. Your hard work is paying off. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Quentin said:

I now have a light box/studio. This one:   https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N5O9D0Z/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's pretty self explanatory how to set it up and use the lights that come with it. But I do have a question or two about product photography regarding the light in the room I choose to use?

Do I close the blinds or shutters to block out any external light from the windows?

I'm going to try this with my cell phone and my webcam, so I'll turn off the flash. I'm going to set the cell camera on the "Auto" setting. There are manual adjustments but I'm not a photographer and don't think I should try that first. I haven't owned a camera in several years, but if it comes down to it then I'll buy one. I'd rather not unless absolutely necessary. Actually, I rarely take any pictures at all. Any advice would be helpful. 

Generally speaking more light is better so long as the light isn't uneven on the subject. If you don't have enough light you probably won't get clear, crisp pictures. Digital pictures are free, so take lots. I recommend trying different lighting until you find the one you like best.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Quentin said:

I am no expert BUT. 

Natural light is always the best.  Even the Natural light bulbs are good.  They seem much "whitter" but much better for photos.

Do not turn the back of the box toward the window.  You camera always picks up the brightest light and adjusts to that.  So if there is light coming in the window it will adjust to that rather than you light box.

Half of my pics are done with a DSLR and other half with my phone (Samsung Note 8).  The DSLR are a little better with focusing on the object.  But the phone is just WAY more convenient.  Never use a flash just the lights.  When I take the pics I leave my cameras zoomed out some and then crop manually later.  I have found with ETSY and My website I crop everything SQUARE.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MilosCandles said:

I am no expert BUT. 

Natural light is always the best.  Even the Natural light bulbs are good.  They seem much "whitter" but much better for photos.

Do not turn the back of the box toward the window.  You camera always picks up the brightest light and adjusts to that.  So if there is light coming in the window it will adjust to that rather than you light box.

Half of my pics are done with a DSLR and other half with my phone (Samsung Note 8).  The DSLR are a little better with focusing on the object.  But the phone is just WAY more convenient.  Never use a flash just the lights.  When I take the pics I leave my cameras zoomed out some and then crop manually later.  I have found with ETSY and My website I crop everything SQUARE.  

Excellent. I'll print this one off and add it to my notes. When you say you crop everything square, do you mean the 1:1 setting?

28 minutes ago, Quentin said:

Excellent. I'll print this one off and add it to my notes. When you say you crop everything square, do you mean the 1:1 setting?

Yes 1:1

You can see the difference in the pics I attached above.  The one of my product is 1:1 and the one of my room is just in landscape more.

I am on PC (Not Mac) and I use this program JPEG Crops to quickly crop all of my photos - http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/   It took me a bit to set some of the preferences but once I figured them out it has become an invaluable tool.  AND it is Free.

Edited by MilosCandles
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Paintguru said:

Woo hoo, more stuff for me to buy.  LOL.  I have a small light box, but I like the idea of getting a bigger backdrop and using it for kids photography, etc.  

:lol:Hey, even if it turns out to be worthless, that just means you have more cool gear around the house.:rockon:

32 minutes ago, MilosCandles said:

You can see the difference in the pics I attached above.  The one of my product is 1:1 and the one of my room is just in landscape more.

I am on PC (Not Mac) and I use this program JPEG Crops to quickly crop all of my photos - http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/   It took me a bit to set some of the preferences but once I figured them out it has become an invaluable tool.  AND it is Free.

I'm on PC too. In fact, I don't think I know anyone personally that has a Mac.:lol: Seriously though, I'll take your advice and check that link and give it a try. All the photo editing stuff on my PC at the present time seems to be pretty useless to me and I'm not about to tackle anything like PhotoShop right now.*shudder* PhotoShop has just too steep of a learning curve than I have time for now. 

Amazon with andoer has the Andoer Photography Softbox Backdrop Lighting Kit for $139 - $42 off with coupon code XZ2U98DO[Exp 12/17] = $97 with free shipping.

Includes 3 softboxes, 3 tripod stands, 3 background backdrops (black, white and green), 12 x 45W bulbs, background stand and carrying bag.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DWTNL57

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MilosCandles said:

I clicked the link you provided. On that page it says this: Note: If you came here looking for Jpegcrop, then you're in the wrong place. Please visit the Jpegcrop page instead. Jpegcrop and JPEGCrops are two different programs. Which one should I be looking for? 

16 hours ago, Quentin said:

I clicked the link you provided. On that page it says this: Note: If you came here looking for Jpegcrop, then you're in the wrong place. Please visit the Jpegcrop page instead. Jpegcrop and JPEGCrops are two different programs. Which one should I be looking for? 

@Quentin That is the right link.  Here is their downloand page - http://ekot.dk/programmer/JPEGCrops/download.html

• Thanks 1

On 12/13/2018 at 2:35 PM, MilosCandles said:

Amazon with andoer has the Andoer Photography Softbox Backdrop Lighting Kit for $139 - $42 off with coupon code XZ2U98DO[Exp 12/17] = $97 with free shipping.

Includes 3 softboxes, 3 tripod stands, 3 background backdrops (black, white and green), 12 x 45W bulbs, background stand and carrying bag.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DWTNL57

I added that to my cart before work today and the code worked. Just tried to buy it and it says the code is invalid. I guess it expired at midnight. Bummer!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Back to taking pictures with a cellphone. Like I said, I've got shaky hands. So I'm using a tripod now but still have to work to keep it steady. I AM getting better pictures, though. Question: I have two settings to choose from in the 1:1 ratio. I can pick 1:1 (3.7 MP) 1920 X 1920 or   1:1 (2.4 MP) 1536 X 1536. Which should I go with for online use?

On 12/22/2018 at 1:44 PM, Quentin said:

Back to taking pictures with a cellphone. Like I said, I've got shaky hands. So I'm using a tripod now but still have to work to keep it steady. I AM getting better pictures, though. Question: I have two settings to choose from in the 1:1 ratio. I can pick 1:1 (3.7 MP) 1920 X 1920 or   1:1 (2.4 MP) 1536 X 1536. Which should I go with for online use?

I do not do 1:1 when I take my pictures.  I crop them after.  I always use the highest MP I can.

It also depends on where you are uploading them.  ON my website I use SMALL versions cause I want the page to load quickly.  On ETSY/Amazon they scale my pictures after I upload them so I use as large of an image I can.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Quentin said:

OK. Thanks. I misunderstood you. I need to use the biggest image my camera can take and crop afterwards, probably with that app you gave us the link to. So, don't even crop it to 1:1 on the little phone editor, right?

I am sure you can on the phone editor.  But usually I have 10-15 (or more) pics I am cropping at one time.  On the computer is easier (for me) and I can see if the pictures are OK on a larger screen.  Usually there are a few that are blurry or off a little which is easier to see on my computer screen.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MilosCandles said:

I am sure you can on the phone editor.  But usually I have 10-15 (or more) pics I am cropping at one time.  On the computer is easier (for me) and I can see if the pictures are OK on a larger screen.  Usually there are a few that are blurry or off a little which is easier to see on my computer screen.

I take several pictures of each item on the cellphone. Before I do anything else, I review them all. If it's blurry or just plain bad, I delete it right there on the spot. I just eliminate it right then and there to keep from complicating things later. With the pictures that are good, I change them to 1:1 on the phone and send them to my Google Drive or Google Pictures. If one of them looks like it will be difficult to crop, I delete it also. I've cut down on using all the silly filters in the phone app, unless I find one that makes a really dramatic improvement. I do all that with the photographed item sitting right in front of me so I can compare. This way, I've narrowed it down to two or three pics that would be acceptable. 

• Like 1