Beer Can Candle

I have never made any candles before but I am thinking about making some candles out of the many empty craft beer cans I have. One thought is, I did not want to waste a lot of wax filling up a whole 16oz can. Is there something I can fill the can with 1/2 way, then fill the rest with wax? (sand?) Also hoping this will help keep the lower part of can cooler. Thanks for any feedback.

I found that to be a very interesting point you just said with sand possibly keeping the lower part of the can cooler.   Also too...I would think the extra weight of the sand would make the beer can more safer being that the cans are light weight.   Good point you brought up....sorry I can't add any more to the conversation.   Will be interesting to see what others will say.

Trappeur

On 12/4/2018 at 2:48 PM, Flicker said:

I'd probably avoid beer cans. Aluminum cans are VERY thin compared to a tin. If you've ever tossed an empty can into a lit fire, you know how fast they combust. Nope, probably not a good idea PLUS getting a smooth edge...

5 hours ago, Shari said:

Would likely be a huge liability.   Better have good insurance.  Wax would likely seep through the sand and still be hot.

Thanks for feed back, definitely looking into insurance. Like I said I have never made any candles so I am sure there will be a big learning carve. I just see a lot of these on etsy so was looking for input, I do not see any negative comments about any issues form people that have purchase them. I will do some testing and start this new learning process.

Etsy Beer Can Candle

You should check into also about using a product that is trademarked like the Bud, Coors, and the rest of them.   I thought it was illegal to use a trademarked product especially all these.   You sure wouldn't want to be caught and taken to court over something like this.   I know I asked one of the candle makers one time how she was able to sell a trade marked product and she never did answer my question....A lot of times people  just will ignore the fact that they could get sued thinking they are so small and no one will come after them.....but not necessarily no....I'd just hate to get caught...that is for sure in selling a product that shouldn't be.   If it is legal and there is no problem using a trademarked product, I'd really be interested in how this is done....

Trappeur

• Like 1

On 12/4/2018 at 2:48 PM, Flicker said:

I'd probably avoid beer cans. Aluminum cans are VERY thin compared to a tin. If you've ever tossed an empty can into a lit fire, you know how fast they combust. Nope, probably not a good idea PLUS getting a smooth edge...

Aluminium/Melting point - 1,221°F

Tin, Melting point - 449.5°F

If you have ever cleaned up the ashes after having a bomb fire, all the beer cans that are thrown in it are still there the next day.  Just covered in soot.

A basic can opener can get a nice clean edge with a little practice.

On 12/3/2018 at 6:47 PM, mlm6 said:

I have never made any candles before but I am thinking about making some candles out of the many empty craft beer cans I have. One thought is, I did not want to waste a lot of wax filling up a whole 16oz can. Is there something I can fill the can with 1/2 way, then fill the rest with wax? (sand?) Also hoping this will help keep the lower part of can cooler. Thanks for any feedback.

The disadvantage of a large solid (non see through) container is light just does not go through it.  So it really doesn't matter if you fill the can all the way to the top or just half way with wax.

Anyone that burns a candle in a tin I always suggest you put it in something. 

5 hours ago, Trappeur said:

You should check into also about using a product that is trademarked like the Bud, Coors, and the rest of them.   I thought it was illegal to use a trademarked product especially all these.   You sure wouldn't want to be caught and taken to court over something like this.   I know I asked one of the candle makers one time how she was able to sell a trade marked product and she never did answer my question....A lot of times people  just will ignore the fact that they could get sued thinking they are so small and no one will come after them.....but not necessarily no....I'd just hate to get caught...that is for sure in selling a product that shouldn't be.   If it is legal and there is no problem using a trademarked product, I'd really be interested in how this is done....

Trappeur

Yes I agree.  This is totally a grey area.  I have done much research on this, and I am sure in the end no one would have enough money to truly fight it.  I have done work for many local breweries with no problems.  

One thing that would cause concern for me would be how flimsy beer cans are. If it has a full melt pool, someone goes to pick it up with a firm grip and it crinkles/creases/dents, that might cause the melt pool to splash or spill over.

Those beer can glasses look great. I've had my eye on them for a while but they're absurdly overpriced on many sites.

Edit: You can purchase the metal cans without the lids. Not sure how sharp the edges would be.

Edited by Kerven

6 hours ago, Trappeur said:

Trappeur

I remember reading on a candle forum years ago that sellers of gel candles who were making Coke candles in the vintage style Coca-Cola glasses were approached at a craft fair by a representative from Coke who told them they were infringing upon their trademark.  I think the main risk is if a company approaches a seller who may be sitting on a lot of stock, then they could get stuck with candles they aren't permitted to sell. 

Edited by birdcharm
typo

1 hour ago, MilosCandles said:

If you have ever cleaned up the ashes after having a bomb fire, all the beer cans that are thrown in it are still there the next day.  Just covered in soot.

The disadvantage of a large solid (non see through) container is light just does not go through it.  So it really doesn't matter if you fill the can all the way to the top or just half way with wax.

Yes I agree.  This is totally a grey area.  I have done much research on this, and I am sure in the end no one would have enough money to truly fight it.  I have done work for many local breweries with no problems.  

Thanks for all the great info. I have been very successful with opening the cans with a safety can opener. As for the sand or any other filler, I was trying to think of a way to not use as much wax, but still have the wax to the top of can and also give the can some weight and stability. Any thoughts on a filler. I would reach out to local breweryies to get permission first before using there cans, hopefully. Again thanks for any info 

AF37693E-8ABA-47FB-93F6-77AE7C46301D.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, birdcharm said:

I remember reading on a candle forum years ago that sellers of gel candles who were making Coke candles in the vintage style Coca-Cola glasses were approached at a craft fair by a representative from Coke who told them they were infringing upon their trademark.  I think the main risk is if a company approaches a seller who may be sitting on a lot of stock, then they could get stuck with candles they aren't permitted to sell. 

I was at a craft show along with a lady selling Disney stuff. A Disney rep came in and asked for her resale/copyright license, and when she couldn't produce it they made her tear down her booth and stop selling. 

Copyright infringement is a very real thing. Just because all people do not get caught does not make it okay to do. 

What's the saying? Ignorance of the law is no excuse it's still a law? Something like that? Same thing applies. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2018 at 9:32 AM, TallTayl said:

Libbey makes some adorable glass “cans” that would be darling as candles. 

FF224685-7D97-4714-BBEE-81A1487B50EE.jpeg

I ordered a case of these a few years back to make candles in. They are very thin and I was concerned with the possibility of them cracking or breaking so I never ended up using them. 

Karen in MA

@kfintoni if wicked conservatively they should be no worse than any other glass. Some commercial candles I’ve bought have wildly thin glass. Thickness of the glass does not necessarily mean more or less heat resistant, just more fragile if banged against something hard. 

Could also use those for a hurricane container for tea lights, small pillars, etc. sand, salt, rocks or marbles in the bottom would prop to whatever height looked nice. 

• 8 months later...
On 12/6/2018 at 10:28 AM, MilosCandles said:

I know this was kind old topic, but I wanted give MilosCandles some relief on his product.  *By the way, I really like your candles.  

Trademark is very complicated matter even trademark lawyers do not know the whole thing because every trademark holders are different.  There are general law regarding this, but every company has different policy with their trademarks.  Budweiser might not have any problem with your candles, but that does not mean it is going to be same with Coors or any other beer companies.  But the general rule is that you are 100% safe as long as you don't turn their empty beer can into any type of drinks.  You are allowed to turn them into anything other than drinks and sell legally.  However, if you make your own beer can and print their trademark, then it is illegal.  And also, if you only pick on one beer brand and doing only one brand, then you are taking of advantage of that brand which is illegal.  The best way to do this is to contact every single brand that you do and find out what their trademark guide lines are, but we do not have resources to go thru that.  If I were you, I would just put little sign on your booth "Bring your old beer can and turn them into candle!".  This does not mean you can only sell what they are bring, but this way you are pretty much covered.  And, you might be able to collect some empty cans in the process.

Some of the cases mentioned above.

Coke glass candles:  This is no no.  If it was Coke bottle cut and turned into candle, it is okay.  But, she needs to have other soda brand bottle candles, too.

Selling Disney product at fair & flea market:  Disney products are sold thru authorized license dealers only, and they will never give out license to retailers in fair & flea market.  Disney have the right to not only to shut her down but confiscated all inventory on that case.  Once their product leaves hand of their authorized dealer and sold by non licensed retailer, they are considered illegal product even if they are real licensed products.  I am pretty sure those in her case those were fake items not the real licensed products.

Yes, trademark infringement is complicated and scary thing.  But, there are many ways that you can take advantage of them.  As a tiny candle maker, don't be afraid to contact big company.  I didn't even had my company when I made contact with them.  Some of them are loyalty free or might ask guaranteed loyalty fee of 1 million dollars per year.  And every company will give you different guide lines to follow.  If they really like your product, then they could offer to buy it from you or they might offer you advertising fee or display fee to put their logo on your product.  You will never know what's waiting ahead of us until you face them.

On 12/3/2018 at 5:47 PM, mlm6 said:

maybe get glass jars that fit inside the aluminum can - upside down (obviously). You could reuse the glass jars each time to and never have to buy other stuff for the most part. Probably use them 10-15 times at least before having to even think about buying something new if not 50 times. 

Not sure if selling them. Otherwise glass jar upside down should work just fine I would think. 

• 2 weeks later...

Where I fall is along the lines of this

Here in the States we have something called the “first sale doctrine.” It simply means that once a tangible copyrighted work (or something with copyright in it) is sold lawfully the first time, the original copyright owner no longer has rights over the physical item. After that, the buyer can do whatever he or she wants with it — sell it again, donate it, whatever.  That’s why you can legally hold a yard sale or sell computers on eBay. The resale right applies only to the physical item sold, not copies.

The first-sale doctrine is a legal concept playing an important role in U.S. copyright and trademark law by limiting certain rights of a copyright or trademark owner. The doctrine enables the distribution chain of copyrighted products, library lending, giving, video rentals and secondary markets for copyrighted works (for example, enabling individuals to sell their legally purchased books or CDs to others). In trademark law, this same doctrine enables reselling of trademarked products after the trademark holder put the products on the market. The doctrine is also referred to as the "right of first sale," "first sale rule," or "exhaustion rule."

On 8/22/2019 at 12:59 AM, BusyBee said:

On 8/22/2019 at 12:59 AM, BusyBee said:

Selling Disney product at fair & flea market:  Disney products are sold thru authorized license dealers only, and they will never give out license to retailers in fair & flea market.  Disney have the right to not only to shut her down but confiscated all inventory on that case.  Once their product leaves hand of their authorized dealer and sold by non licensed retailer, they are considered illegal product even if they are real licensed products.  I am pretty sure those in her case those were fake items not the real licensed products.

This is incorrect.   There are many manufacturers making all sorts of things like bathrobes, cosmetic bags, wallets, backpacks..etc- that have licensing agreements with Disney and those manufacturers sell their lines to various retailers...Some products may end up in swanky little boutiques, others may end up in a fleamarket booth.  Neither selling location is illegal or has any bearing on whether or not there's a copyright violation.  There are no "licensed retailers" for such products.