Decorating Wax Melts

BeckyLauren94

Probably been asked before but...
I make small pot wax melts and was wondering if it was worth decorating them. I always try to keep mine naturally coloured, and the semi-bright colours tend to attract people, but am interested in making them look pleasing to the eye with surface decorations. 
I have some very fine "candle safe" glitter, but am wary about using it in melts. Does this not melt and leave a bad residue or fumes? 
I have seen a few that use household spices to decorate their melts but I worry about the effects of these under heat.

I guess what I would really like to know is what wax melt decorations are safe!

Any help would be appreciated!

Hi @BeckyLauren94. I'm only getting started with learning how to make wax melts so I don't really know. I like the idea of getting creative with them using different shapes and embellishments. Hopefully someone with experience will share their valuable knowledge. I'd like to find some Do's & Don'ts of wax melt making and packaging.

You can use mica, the smaller the particle size the better it will stay suspended and not all float to the bottom (which I love found some more glittery stuff does).  In terms of actual glitter, I'm not sure, but I tried, and it seems ok so far.   They also have biodegradable glitter out there,not sure how that would do with the heat.  

The mica is very pretty.  I tried dusting the tops , but it works better when wax is still wet.  Painting it on with an alcohol solution might work too and I might try that.  

Edited by Jenni Wix
Spelling
  • Thanks 1

On 12/2/2018 at 9:04 PM, BeckyLauren94 said:

Probably been asked before but...
I make small pot wax melts and was wondering if it was worth decorating them. I always try to keep mine naturally coloured, and the semi-bright colours tend to attract people, but am interested in making them look pleasing to the eye with surface decorations. 
I have some very fine "candle safe" glitter, but am wary about using it in melts. Does this not melt and leave a bad residue or fumes? 
I have seen a few that use household spices to decorate their melts but I worry about the effects of these under heat.

I guess what I would really like to know is what wax melt decorations are safe!

Any help would be appreciated!

If you just want to add a little something, I use an acrylic paint brush and just brush this onto the tops of mine, especially if I have some that are frosted a bit more than I like. I've used it a ton and the container still looks like new so a little goes a very long way! It also melts just fine and actually looks very pretty in dark colors that are fully melted. :)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GH3PWS6

Mica Powder Pigment/Flake “Icicle”

It goes on so nicely - here's  a couple I used it on

1538806175_PhotoOct1553255PM.jpg.123b33d593e01b66a8758bd19a664dfd.jpg71262453_PhotoNov04121438PM.jpg.7c41e8f8f8f9f06fe1bd7569aa3aa4ec.jpg1184691168_PhotoNov04123648PM.jpg.79b5ce9537239e7f8aa63ea41697d462.jpg

Edited by aptommo
  • Like 2