Lotion bar packaging advice

jerry

I have made some lotion bars for family gifts this season. They are about 1" tall with an embossed bee on top of the bar (that's probably not appropriately described, but hopefully you get the picture). I have 4 oz gold tins to put them in. Unfortunately, the tins leave a lot of head room with just one bar inside. One suggestion was to give two bars per tin, but I am looking for suggestions of what I may put in the bottom of the tin for some lift? All I can think of is wax paper, but do any of you have other ideas that will work with a lotion bar - it's olive oil, shea butter, beeswax and honey fragrance. Thanks very much!

Hi @jerry. I've never made soap so I don't know but I'm wondering if you could use some gift wrapping tissue or the crinkled shredded paper. Is using wax paper necessary? Would regular paper absorb too much of the soap's oils? Some other ideas are, put a thin layer of small stones or bath salts in the bottom of the tin. Or put the soap on top of a small, thin loofah sponge like this if it fits in the tin. Or what's some other little something else you could use that is related to one of the ingredients you are using in the soap?

Beauty 360 Exfoliating Facial Buff, Assorted Colors

• Like 1

I don't know if you have a dollar tree around but they have little plastic tubs with lids in round and square.  There are 10 for 1.00.   I put little lotion bars in there or just fill the cup.  They work great.   Not sure if it will hold yours, depending on the size round it is.  I mostly make my lotion bars in roll-up or push up tubes.

• Like 1

@Laura C Thanks for your reply and brainstorming. Because they are lotion bars, they are a bit moist, so I thought waxed paper just to avoid too much oil absorption into the paper. I may just go with some pretty crinkle paper or your idea of a bit of loofah...I love the idea of bath salts or seashells, but they will likely be a pain because the bar will go in and out of the tin. Ideally, I would have a sorter tin, but I'm trying to use what I have on hand. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Faerywren said:

When I packaged my bars in tins I've set them on wax paper before. Now I pour directly into souffle cups. Voila! Molds and packaging in one.

Thanks, @Faerywren! Google has let me to plastic condiment like cups - hopefully those are the ones you are referring to. Good idea for future bars.

• 1 month later...

When I used to make lotion bars I ended up packaging them in roll up tubes. I just didn't like the feel of handling a greasy molded bar of solid lotion. So I started pouring my melted lotion into 2oz roll up tubes. That way they are already in a cute package and you don't have to handle the lotion bar, you just roll up the lotion in the tube and rub it on.

I still make dog paw balm and pour the liquid balm into roll up tubes to sell. Customers appreciate that they can apply the balm to their dog's paws without getting their hands greased.

• Like 1