Holy Box (damaged package of wax)

Jenni Wix

I just got my first big case of wax and it has several small holes exposing the wax, and one large one that goes a few inches deep.  The wax was packaged in a thin  bag, it looks like, obviously the box wasn't too strong either.   The supplier states they won't deal with damaged packages.  So I'm filing a claim with the shipping co, including pictures of the unopened, holey box.

How often does this happen to those of you with more experience?  If I wanted to use it in cosmetic application, it would be unusable.  And I am afraid to use it for candles in case the wax is compromised at all.  I mean, the box is pretty beat up. 😓

Edited by Jenni Wix
Clarify title

Was the bag holding the wax opened? Is it a slab, bead, or flake form? Lots of times I would get my boxes of slab wax delivered damaged. As long as the wax itself is still in the bag or undamaged looking I go ahead and use it with no issues. If its in flake, bead, form you can check and see if debris got in the bag with it. If so throw that part out but you may be able to use the rest.

• Like 1

Thanks for the response @Candybee. It's big ol' slab.  The bag was broken in each of the rips, and in the biggest hole, a few inches deep of wax is exposed.  The box itself is pretty grimy looking.  The wax in the holes looks pretty clean.  But I'm wondering about why the big hole seems to be missing about a fingers length of wax.  🤔

happens all the time with wax. You'd think they would use sturdier boxes. The shape of most of those boxes is the culprit too. AMerican Soy Organics (knocks wood) arrive intact whereas most soy flakes do not. Some soy cartons arrive spewing flakes. Tape is shredded. The dense large package is just too much for the machinery.

Lucky you that the paraffin is covered.  I've received some with no plastic packaging, just slabs naked in a shipment.

3 hours ago, TallTayl said:

Some soy cartons arrive spewing flakes. Tape is shredded. The dense large package is just too much for the machinery.

Not to jump on this topic but my 50lb box arrived and was in tact, however when I attempted to move it the bag got a big hole. I taped the hole with packing tape and it's no longer spilling out. Is there a preferred way to store wax as you use it? Does air getting to it bother it or affect it's use??

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TallTayl said:

Air seems to improve soy. I leave open but covered to keep out dust.

depending on how fast you go through it 5 gallon pails are handy. They hold quite a lot and stack.  The square pails are even more space efficient than round. 

Oh nice! I was so afraid the air was going to make it no good I was panicked! Just still starting out I don't think I'm going to go through it too fast. I mean I hope I do! :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/30/2018 at 4:10 PM, Jenni Wix said:

I just got my first big case of wax and it has several small holes exposing the wax, and one large one that goes a few inches deep.  The wax was packaged in a thin  bag, it looks like, obviously the box wasn't too strong either.   The supplier states they won't deal with damaged packages.  So I'm filing a claim with the shipping co, including pictures of the unopened, holey box.

How often does this happen to those of you with more experience?  If I wanted to use it in cosmetic application, it would be unusable.  And I am afraid to use it for candles in case the wax is compromised at all.  I mean, the box is pretty beat up. 😓

It happens to me at least 50% of the time. 

• Like 1

@Quentin, even though it's slightly frustrating, it's relieving to know it's a common occurrence.  I guess it's just the thought of shelling out so much for something, I'd expect suppliers to take care with it. Heck, I'll pay for a thicker box.

Edited by Jenni Wix
Spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jenni Wix said:

@Quentin, even though it's slightly frustrating, it's relieving to know it's a common occurrence.  I guess it's just the thought of shelling out so much for something, I'd expect suppliers to take care with it. Heck, I'll pay for a thicker box.

Did you lose much wax, though?

2 minutes ago, Jenni Wix said:

No, I'm more worried about possible contamination depending on how long it was holy, and what it could've been be exposed to.  It's a really soft wax.  Luckily, it looks ok.  

Ahh. Just blow the dust off it:whistling: or break off the annoying parts and throw them in the trash. It's like buying a bag of potting soil or a bag of sugar. You'll never get all of it.:)

• Like 1

On 11/30/2018 at 8:12 PM, aptommo said:

Is there a preferred way to store wax as you use it? Does air getting to it bother it or affect it's use??

I'll tell you what I've learned over the past year. Where I live it's unbearably hot and humid in summer. Humid and cool to bitterly cold and humid in winter and can change literally day to day. Always humid.:( My shop is in a hot garage in summer. No insulation or A/C in the garage. It has a wall mounted natural gas furnace so winter is not a problem. In the hot weather I stored the soy flakes and all my "soft" waxes indoors under my beds where it was always cool and in low humidity. In the garage, the soy flakes clumped together and it was sticky, messy and even more yucky than usual.  My "hard" waxes can live anywhere. For the winter, it's all in the garage. The part we just learned from @TallTayl is new knowledge for me, so I learned something new today and it's not even lunch time yet.  

• Like 1