Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I'm gearing up for spring fundraising and have plans to carpet-bomb schools and other non-profits with a sample candle and color brochure.  I needed to find a nice box to hold one, 8 oz. candle with room for foam/bubble wrap and the brochure tucked in for good measure.  ULine is having a sale on a variety of great cardboard boxes until 1/13/19.  4"x4"x4" mug-size box is .23 cents with a minimum of 100.  Larger sizes are also reasonably priced and on sale until 1/13.  Also found "variable depth" boxes - a maximum 8"x8"x8" box that can be scored down to 4", 5", 6", or 7" heights which will suit my fundraiser packaging needs as I sort orders by each seller and each order can vary widely.  The other cool packaging I found there were "gable boxes".  These fold at the top (think the donut hole boxes) to create a handle.  Different sizes that range in price from .37 cents to .66 cents a piece for a minimum of 100.  My only concern here is how much these gable boxes can safely hold (think kids carrying candles home on a school bus - what could possibly go wrong?!)  I deliver my fund-raisers so I don't need heavy-duty shipping materials, but thought this info might be helpful to some.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uline is often quite expensive even before shipping even with their sales.  They’re less than an hour drive for me, and picking up does not save any $ 😒

 

check out the same box sizes on eBay. A few favorite sellers have super fast and free shipping with a pack of 100 for around $20.  Valuemailers, threerb, e1packaging have all been reliable for various sized corrugated boxes. 

 

The white folding corrugated are a little more $, but make a spectacular presentation. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out paper mart too. Their 4x4x4 tuck top boxes are about 15 cents. And if you spend $200 combined on any boxes you get 15% off. 

 

They also carry gable boxes. 

 

Even though they are out of California, the shipping is cheaper than Nashville Wraps which is closer to me. 

I have ordered bottles from ULine, but I’ve found boxes cheaper elsewhere. 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I get mine at Papermart as well, they are quality for the price.  The 4 x 4 x 4 fit most of the jar candles I make so it works out great. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow.  I had no idea.  Thanks so much everyone!  Being out of the loop for so long has put me behind the eight-ball on some things.  I truly appreciate it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2018 at 9:47 AM, kandlekrazy said:

I get mine at Papermart as well, they are quality for the price.  The 4 x 4 x 4 fit most of the jar candles I make so it works out great. 

And can ship First Class Mail as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought boxes from Papermart as well. California is a long way from Mississippi so the freight was pretty tough as I expected. I was familiar with Uline from several years back. I was glad to see some different companies listed in this thread. That gives me some other places to shop. I wanted to order some corrugated paper. I think I'm calling it by the right name. Looks like the walls of a cardboard box but comes in a roll. You cut it to size and wrap the item in it then stick it in the box with the rest of the jars. From both Papermart and Uline the freight was higher than the product!. I don't know how bubble wrap or peanuts compare in price, but both take a lot of storage area. I'm wondering if jelly jar boxes with the dividers might be the best way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Quentin I haven’t done much pricing out bubble wrap. But, I compared a few a while back and Amazon had the best price.  

 

When I need to start ordering it I will price shop again. But, if you’re a Prime member I recommend checking out their bubble wrap listings. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you’re looking for an affordable, green alternative to plastic for dunnage, consider Geami/greenwrap.

 

i use the precut roll that expands into the honeycomb with optional tissue paper. It used to come extruded in many colors, but was discontinued. Kraft and white with colored tissue underneath does the job well. It works far better than, and looks much more boutique than bubble wrap. 

https://packagingconnection.com/Geami_Green_Friendly_Sustainable_Packaging.htm

 

  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks, TT.  I'm really trying to leave a small carbon footprint and model that for consumers.  I need to follow and contribute to the discussion on packaging wax melts in another area as I've been wrangling with this.  I agree that bubble wrap looks amateur. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quentin, I know what you're talking about at Paper Mart - those rolls of corrugated wrapping.  They're inexpensive and are bound to decompose faster than bubble wrap or even those foam sheets.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2018 at 4:07 AM, Sebleo said:

@Quentin I haven’t done much pricing out bubble wrap. But, I compared a few a while back and Amazon had the best price.  

 

When I need to start ordering it I will price shop again. But, if you’re a Prime member I recommend checking out their bubble wrap listings. 

I will. Been a Prime member for quite awhile now. I'll add that to my Sticky Notes right now.:smile:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2018 at 6:32 AM, Arch Rock said:

I'm gearing up for spring fundraising and have plans to carpet-bomb schools and other non-profits with a sample candle and color brochure.  I needed to find a nice box to hold one, 8 oz. candle with room for foam/bubble wrap and the brochure tucked in for good measure.  ULine is having a sale on a variety of great cardboard boxes until 1/13/19.  4"x4"x4" mug-size box is .23 cents with a minimum of 100.  Larger sizes are also reasonably priced and on sale until 1/13.  Also found "variable depth" boxes - a maximum 8"x8"x8" box that can be scored down to 4", 5", 6", or 7" heights which will suit my fundraiser packaging needs as I sort orders by each seller and each order can vary widely.  The other cool packaging I found there were "gable boxes".  These fold at the top (think the donut hole boxes) to create a handle.  Different sizes that range in price from .37 cents to .66 cents a piece for a minimum of 100.  My only concern here is how much these gable boxes can safely hold (think kids carrying candles home on a school bus - what could possibly go wrong?!)  I deliver my fund-raisers so I don't need heavy-duty shipping materials, but thought this info might be helpful to some.

Whoa! Lot's of good ideas here. The variable depth boxes. I'm thinking about them for another purpose such as shipping. I'm taking us off topic. I'll post that idea in a new topic. Sorry.:icon_tiptoe: 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2018 at 4:07 AM, Sebleo said:

@Quentin I haven’t done much pricing out bubble wrap. But, I compared a few a while back and Amazon had the best price.  

 

When I need to start ordering it I will price shop again. But, if you’re a Prime member I recommend checking out their bubble wrap listings. 

I don't mean to get personal here and this question is for everyone. I'm not interested in whether you wear boxers or briefs, but which is most cost effective for shipping? Bubble wrap or styrofoam peanuts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2018 at 7:22 AM, TallTayl said:

If you’re looking for an affordable, green alternative to plastic for dunnage, consider Geami/greenwrap.

 

i use the precut roll that expands into the honeycomb with optional tissue paper. It used to come extruded in many colors, but was discontinued. Kraft and white with colored tissue underneath does the job well. It works far better than, and looks much more boutique than bubble wrap. 

https://packagingconnection.com/Geami_Green_Friendly_Sustainable_Packaging.htm

 

I checked out the link. I have seen that stuff used in some things I ordered for other purposes. Dollar Shave Club uses it. I was wondering what it was called and where to locate it. Now I know. Thanks for that link tip.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Quentin said:

I don't mean to get personal here and this question is for everyone. I'm not interested in whether you wear boxers or briefs, but which is most cost effective for shipping? Bubble wrap or styrofoam peanuts?

 

I really don’t know. I haven’t done enough shipping to price it out. Right now I have 10 bags of peanuts I have saved from all my supply orders. I’m just reusing them for now. Plus all the bubble wrap from my amazon orders! So, I haven’t had to buy any yet. 

Edited by Sebleo
Typo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Sebleo said:

 

I really don’t know. I haven’t done enough shipping to price it out. Right now I have 10 bags of peanuts I have saved from all my supply orders. I’m just reusing them for now. Plus all the bubble wrap from my amazon orders! So, I haven’t had to buy any yet. 

Same here. candlescience really seems to love those peanuts.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Generally I am OK on Peanuts till this time of year and I am starting to run out.  I use bubble wrap, peanuts, brown paper, and shredded brown paper.  Depends on what I am shipping and what I have available.  I try to re-use as much as I can, but I do tend to run out.

 

Bubble wrap and peanuts are expensive to receive (shipping).  NG uses kraft paper, which I then use around smaller boxes that I put in USPS boxes.  I might get this or something similar - https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-20213/Kraft-Paper-Wrap/Kraft-Paper-Dispenser-Box-12-x-1500  $31 seems good.  I am sure if I do some searching I will find a better price.

 

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, YellowButterfly said:

@Laura C, you ALWAYS come through with the great resources! I've been looking for black boxes, and here you are with your resources, like a fairy godmother! Thank you!

 

LOL, you're welcome @YellowButterfly. That reminds me, I'm running low on my fairy dust. 

Not sure if I had shared these links for black boxes or not so here they are.

https://www.mrboxonline.com/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=black+box&x=0&y=0

https://www.nashvillewraps.com/boxes/black-gold-red-gift-boxes/p-808/hw46bks

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...