What wick for 16 oz. Apothecary Jars

2 hours ago, Arch Rock said:

Lulu, I don't use your wax but used to use the 16 oz apothecary.  I agree with Trapp and Sarah - you can go up as far as a CD-20, HTP-126 or even that fireball of HTP-1212.  Two LX-14s might do the job, depending on the FO.  Test, test, test! 

I didn't have the best luck the first few times I tried the HTP 126 and HTP 104. The flames were huge!! Even after trimming the wick pretty short. Do you prefer the CD wicks over HTP or LX?

I keep all three on hand but use CD-10, CD-12 and LX-16 the most for my wax and fragrances.  Your goal should be finding the perfect wick for each fragrance - don't expect to use the same wick for every fragrance.  There are also very seasoned chandlers on here who use different waxes too, which would make my head spin!  Also, don't expect to have a full melt pool (FMP) during a first burn.  You don't want tunneling, but within four hours, you should shoot for 1/4" or less of melt pool with some cling on the sides and a nice, steady flame.  You might want to check into the mathematics of figuring out Rate of Consumption rates.  The other thing that helps to establish a baseline for wicking is to use an old cake pan or old muffin tin.  Wick up several different wicks, fill the muffin cups or the entire cake pan with PLAIN wax, let it set up, light the wicks and observe burn pool, flame height, and any carbon mushrooming at one-hour intervals for four hours.  This will give you a good idea of how your unscented wax performs with different wicks.  Then you can start testing different fragrances.  Testing can be frustrating and expensive but you will never regret it.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Sarah S said:

I use a similar wax, HTP 104 usually does the job for me. Some oils I need to wick up to a 126. If the 126 didn't do it, then I might consider double wicking with 52s, but then I would be concerned about sooting with that narrow neck.

I use 2 44z's in my wax for most scents (similar but not the same as 4630) and I rarely get any soot. when I have to wick up to the 52z's, with heavier scents, I do get some soot. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Arch Rock said:

I keep all three on hand but use CD-10, CD-12 and LX-16 the most for my wax and fragrances.  Your goal should be finding the perfect wick for each fragrance - don't expect to use the same wick for every fragrance.  There are also very seasoned chandlers on here who use different waxes too, which would make my head spin!  Also, don't expect to have a full melt pool (FMP) during a first burn.  You don't want tunneling, but within four hours, you should shoot for 1/4" or less of melt pool with some cling on the sides and a nice, steady flame.  You might want to check into the mathematics of figuring out Rate of Consumption rates.  The other thing that helps to establish a baseline for wicking is to use an old cake pan or old muffin tin.  Wick up several different wicks, fill the muffin cups or the entire cake pan with PLAIN wax, let it set up, light the wicks and observe burn pool, flame height, and any carbon mushrooming at one-hour intervals for four hours.  This will give you a good idea of how your unscented wax performs with different wicks.  Then you can start testing different fragrances.  Testing can be frustrating and expensive but you will never regret it.

Thank you so much for your great advise! Looks like I have quite a bit of testing to do! 

7 hours ago, Jcandleattic said:

I use 2 44z's in my wax for most scents (similar but not the same as 4630) and I rarely get any soot. when I have to wick up to the 52z's, with heavier scents, I do get some soot. 

The z's are zinc wicks? That's good to know, thanks! I love HTPs, but I don't love the soot, and some FOs definitely need a less fussy wick.

3 hours ago, Arch Rock said:

Lulu, as long as the jar is the same design and same diameter, but once the 8 oz gives you a good burn, you'll need to burn a 16 oz from top to bottom before you can be completely certain that it's the very best wick.

That's what I thought. Thanks again for all the help!

On November 28, 2018 at 11:46 AM, Lulu Belles said:

Last question... For testing purposes can I use an 8oz apothecary jar (both 8oz and 16 oz have 4" diameter) so I don't waste as much wax? At least until I think I've got the correct wick, then I can try it out on the 16oz. 

7 hours ago, Arch Rock said:

Lulu, as long as the jar is the same design and same diameter, but once the 8 oz gives you a good burn, you'll need to burn a 16 oz from top to bottom before you can be completely certain that it's the very best wick.

Sorry I didn't see that question Lulu! I do that all the time if it's a fragrance that I'm not sure I'll like. 16oz is a big commitment, lol. It definitely works well to narrow down your wick choices, and makes it less painful if the fragrance is a dud. 😁

• Like 1

On 11/29/2018 at 12:13 PM, Sarah S said:

Sorry I didn't see that question Lulu! I do that all the time if it's a fragrance that I'm not sure I'll like. 16oz is a big commitment, lol. It definitely works well to narrow down your wick choices, and makes it less painful if the fragrance is a dud. 😁

Thanks Sarah!

• Like 1