Bittercreek - ordered for first time - SLOW shipping?

LivInTX

So after reading some posts a few weeks ago, I decided to try some of the FOs. I placed my order on Nov. 13.

Received an email Nov 15 stating I had fragrances that needed an ORM-D (that's a first for me - a couple had a flashpoint between 141°F and 200°F) and may delay as it must ship ground with the USPS shipping I paid.

Email gave me an option to pay an extra $21 for UPS ground and if I didn't respond within 24 hrs it would just ship USPS. I opted not to pay the extra $21 as I only ordered five 1oz samples.

On Nov 20, I emailed them and asked if it had shipped yet. They shipped it that very same day (7 days after I placed my order).

Today, Nov 26 and these 5 samples still haven't arrived. I'm assuming it's because it required an ORM-D? Again this is a first for me where an order I have placed with any FO company needed to provide this document with shipment.

Has anyone had this similar experience? And with Bittercreek?

If my sample order takes this long, I'm not sure I would want to order a larger supply of FOs if this is what my experience will be like. Don't want to speak negatively about any company, was just hoping for some insight from any Bittercreek customers.

Funny I just got this same email today from my order. I also opted not to pay the additional money for UPS. I've had many other suppliers ship USPS without issue. I hope it doesn't take that long to get to me although I'm really not in any hurry for the scents I am trying from them. 

I had the same thing happen to me just recently and I opted not to pay over 20.00 more for shipping and decided to wait....well it was close to 6 weeks b/4 I got my order!

I have been ordering from Bittercreek for probably a good 15 years and this is the first this has ever happened to me.   I will say they are a little slower than most companies but their products are terrific.   I will definitely make sure that what ever oil I order does not fall in this catagory again and have to wait as I won't wait this length of time again....

Trappeur

4 hours ago, Trappeur said:

I had the same thing happen to me just recently and I opted not to pay over 20.00 more for shipping and decided to wait....well it was close to 6 weeks b/4 I got my order!

I have been ordering from Bittercreek for probably a good 15 years and this is the first this has ever happened to me.   I will say they are a little slower than most companies but their products are terrific.   I will definitely make sure that what ever oil I order does not fall in this catagory again and have to wait as I won't wait this length of time again....

Trappeur

Yikes 6 weeks. Ordered from 5 other companies at the same time and they all came within a week, so I think I will just have to make my decision off of their samples. Need my FOs within the next couple of weeks.

I always have to wait a long time for my orders from BC. One time it took so long, I sent an email to their customer service to see if my order had even processed - it had been over a week without confirmation that they had even received the order. That one took about 4 weeks total to get to me, but that was the longest it's ever taken them. That being said, I never order anything from them that I need in a hurry, lol.

I just received the same email last night, I opted to pay the UPS price  but indicated their quote was five dollars more than what their website charges for UPS. I also complained while I was emailing them LOL So for a pound and a half of fragrance I will be paying $21.47. That’s the same price that I can buy 20 pounds of wax from the East Coast and I am in the Midwest, I am closer to Bittercreek than I am Rustic,  looks like they better be negotiating better pricing.  And they are getting slower and slower with their shipping even when it’s not busy season. Slower than molasses in January 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Trappeur said:

I will definitely make sure that what ever oil I order does not fall in this catagory again ...

I looked through some of my notes and tried to verify it at the USPS site, but I got lost so gave up, but I really think that the regulations have to do with liquids that have a flashpoint of under 141dF ... so I'm not understanding this ...

14 hours ago, LivInTX said:

Received an email Nov 15 stating I had fragrances that needed an ORM-D (that's a first for me - a couple had a flashpoint between 141°F and 200°F) and may delay as it must ship ground with the USPS shipping I paid ...

... unless some of them were lower flashpoint oils.  I think there needs to be some special labeling applied to the package for this f/p range, as I've received oils between these f/p's via Priority Mail (air) that had special labeling.  For smaller orders, USPS is the best option.

20 hours ago, LivInTX said:

So after reading some posts a few weeks ago, I decided to try some of the FOs. I placed my order on Nov. 13.

Received an email Nov 15 stating I had fragrances that needed an ORM-D (that's a first for me - a couple had a flashpoint between 141°F and 200°F) and may delay as it must ship ground with the USPS shipping I paid.

Email gave me an option to pay an extra $21 for UPS ground and if I didn't respond within 24 hrs it would just ship USPS. I opted not to pay the extra $21 as I only ordered five 1oz samples.

On Nov 20, I emailed them and asked if it had shipped yet. They shipped it that very same day (7 days after I placed my order).

Today, Nov 26 and these 5 samples still haven't arrived. I'm assuming it's because it required an ORM-D? Again this is a first for me where an order I have placed with any FO company needed to provide this document with shipment.

Has anyone had this similar experience? And with Bittercreek?

If my sample order takes this long, I'm not sure I would want to order a larger supply of FOs if this is what my experience will be like. Don't want to speak negatively about any company, was just hoping for some insight from any Bittercreek customers.

Which Fragrances did you buy? I never had trouble with Bitter Creek. They have amazing oils. 

Honestly, 140 or lower on flash points. 

There must be something else up with the company to be that slow. Honestly  no excuse except anything traveling through the midwest/plains will be slow getting anywhere because of the blizzard we had that dumped quite a bit in and around the KC area. Yet that was after Thanksgiving and have to figure businesses were closed Nov. 22. Too, this might be a time of year for some suppliers where they struggle to keep on top of the game. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LivInTX said:

I purchased 1 oz of each:

Hot Apple Pie

Warm Apple Pie

Amish Friendship Bread

Cotton Candy

O'Kayu

Those oils seem to all be greater than 200dF flashpoint from what I could tell.  I don't understand why they didn't send them in a Small Flat Rate box unless they don't want to use the Post Office ... some suppliers only ship using other services, but it makes it hard to order samples.

Love Bittercreek, but they need to get their website updated. It's very difficult to navigate. Promo codes need to be added to the comment section? Come on Bittercreek get with it!

Shipping is always an issue. I don't even bother clicking the USPS option for shipping. I always get a phone call saying they can't ship a certain oil USPS....they should just eliminate that option as it seems to be a consistent problem. Also, it would be nice if we could get a free 1oz sample instead of a 1/2 oz sample. Not much you can do with a half ounce!  I guess the free half ounce is better than Nature Gardens silly scented rose! 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Ray said:

Love Bittercreek, but they need to get their website updated. It's very difficult to navigate. Promo codes need to be added to the comment section? Come on Bittercreek get with it!

Shipping is always an issue. I don't even bother clicking the USPS option for shipping. I always get a phone call saying they can't ship a certain oil USPS....they should just eliminate that option as it seems to be a consistent problem. Also, it would be nice if we could get a free 1oz sample instead of a 1/2 oz sample. Not much you can do with a half ounce!  I guess the free half ounce is better than Nature Gardens silly scented rose! 

Oh I so agree on the silly scented rose! Instead of them spending the money on the rose, put it towards a free sample.

• Like 1

This sounds like an internal problem that has nothing to do with shipping. To me it sounds like the shipping excuse is simply that, an excuse for poor customer service. If the shipping is such a big problem they should eliminate USPS altogether like Ray posted and simply use UPS. But even if they did this they still need to address their slow fulfillment service.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, ShelleyF said:

Which Fragrances did you buy? I never had trouble with Bitter Creek. They have amazing oils. 

Would you mind recommending some that you like please?

3 hours ago, Ray said:

TOTALLY AGREE ABOUT THEIR WEBSITE! Would you mind sharing some you like please?

On 11/28/2018 at 7:41 PM, ShelleyF said:

I like Coconut Bay, Blueberry Cobbler, Blueberry Patch, Spicy Cranberry, Creme Brulee, Lemon Pound Cake, and others I can't remember right now.

ShelleyF Thank you so very much! If you happen to think 🤔 of others, would you please add them?  Super appreciate the help! :) 

• Like 1

I love BC oils.

Basil Sage Mint

Spiced Cranberry

Vanilla Grapefruit 

Yuletide

Pump Up the Jam 

Coconut Lime

Wildberry Zinger Tea

Butter Rum All Spice  

Citrus Splash 

But the website and their message board are the absolute pits

Edited by PeggyK
  • Like 1

I have never had an issue with Bittercreek, I always got my orders within a week. I never got a tracking or anything but then my order would arrive. Some of my favorite scents are Chocolate Chip, Creme Brulee, pumpkin Crème Brulee, Buttery Gingerbread, Fresh Baked Bread, Sissy's Sugar Cookie, Old Fashioned Christmas. For summery scent, Juniper Breeze, Wild Watermelon, Tidal wave, Tomato Leaf.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, PeggyK said:

I love BC oils.

Basil Sage Mint

Spiced Cranberry

Vanilla Grapefruit 

Yuletide

Pump Up the Jam 

Coconut Lime

Wildberry Zinger Tea

Butter Rum All Spice  

Citrus Splash 

But the website and their message board are the absolute pits

Vanilla Grapefruit sounds really good! Thanks so much for sharing :) 

1 hour ago, SueH said:

I have never had an issue with Bittercreek, I always got my orders within a week. I never got a tracking or anything but then my order would arrive. Some of my favorite scents are Chocolate Chip, Creme Brulee, pumpkin Crème Brulee, Buttery Gingerbread, Fresh Baked Bread, Sissy's Sugar Cookie, Old Fashioned Christmas. For summery scent, Juniper Breeze, Wild Watermelon, Tidal wave, Tomato Leaf.

I have tried a couple Creme Brûlée scents but none were very good! I’ll have to give them a try. Thanks so much for your help! :) 

Edited by Daisymay66

Finally received my order of five 1oz samples yesterday. Basically took 3 weeks from time of order.

Hot Apple Pie and Warm Apple Pie - Identical smelling FO and pretty good but not any different or better than other samples I received. Actually changed my mind with my plans on this scent and went for Indiana Candle Supply's Apple Fritter (scent is amazing and spot on).

Cotton Candy - Very weak scent out of bottle.

O'Kayu - could barely smell as the scent was very weak, but definitely did not smell like Japanese rice pudding (had more of a floral scent).

Amish Friendship Bread - now this one I was really happy with. Very strong and amazing scent. Just like the description.

Though I loved Amish Friendship Bread I would have to rethink whether taking the chance and waiting 3 weeks on this one. Perhaps if I pre-planned well in advance.

Edited by LivInTX
underline

On 11/28/2018 at 11:50 AM, Ray said:

. Also, it would be nice if we could get a free 1oz sample instead of a 1/2 oz sample. Not much you can do with a half ounce!  I guess the free half ounce is better than Nature Gardens silly scented rose! 

Yes, you are definitely right about that....and it is so silly.....that silly Rose! 

Every time I get an order from them and I get that rose I'm always trying to sniff the scent....but for some reason, I think they send unscented ones to me as I can never smell anything....So there these roses sit in my truck over the rear view mirror.....don't know why I stuff em up there....maybe I thought my truck might be a little nicer smelling with a rose?    Who knows? 

Trappeur

• Like 1

Who knows...it may even be more cost effective for them to send out at least a 1/2 sample like Bittercreek instead of that rose. We have never bought a fragrance because we liked the smell of the rose. Listen up Natures Garden, the rose does NOTHING for us. The best deal with freebies is Candle Wic. Free 1oz sample for every pound you buy. Too bad we don't use more from them.

• Like 2