My first craft fair is Saturday!

aptommo

Well my show was both a disaster and a success. 

First I was so prepared I had my car packed last night all but the wax melts. I got up this morning, got ready and left at the exact time I planned to go. I got halfway there and realized I forgot my bag with my phone and wallet and had to turn about making me 30 mins later than planned. Then it started pouring so I had to carry all my stuff inside in the rain. When I got in there, I was renting a table and instead of the table I was faced with a space and my name instead. When I asked they said they ran out of tables and I told them I paid for it already! So they went to find me a table and I ended up with a 6ft instead. 

Once set up however, I got everything out (even though I had to display different than I intended because of the space) I was actually only about 10 mins doing it when they started and people wandered in. I did manage to make 28 sales in 5 hours and had lots of traffic telling me how good it all smelled and many taking my business card for later. 

• Like 4

Oh, the trials and tribulations of doing craft shows!  Years ago, my mom roped me into doing one at her local high school.  I took the kids so they could visit with grandma at the same time.  Stopped at McDonald's for breakfast and they both barfed in the car on the way there . . . all over my displays.  I'm sure there are many, many other horror stories out there!  But yes, it sounds like you got your foot in the door.  Good for you.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Sad 1

@aptommo  I was was looking for something and came across a few of my 1st craft show pictures..  Thought I would share with you and everyone.  They make me laugh.

I started in 2015

White Table cloth - was my 1st show, what a flop, but I had a full page of notes.

Blue tent - was 1 week later.  Some LONG nights building my display that week.

Indoor Green Table cloth - was about a month later and I had that basic setup with some tweaks for well over a year.

Red/Green Back Drop - was a few weeks ago for a big show in Cleveland.

Not only has there been this many changes visually to customers but also behind the scenes.  Makes me laugh.

Almost every show I thought of something to change or tweak.  Something to improve upon.  I still do.  I am OK with change, ok with criticisms and OK with suggestions.  If some one told me I could double sales but I need to start all over..  I might do that.  I make changes to improve the business, improve my process and improve my products.  

I am always walking around shows looking at other peoples displays.  I get lots of ideas.

received_10154527558606241.jpeg

20150926_095247 (Medium).jpg

20151017_091721 (Large).jpg

20181116_100119 (Medium).jpg

• Thanks 2

On 12/2/2018 at 6:53 AM, Arch Rock said:

Stopped at McDonald's for breakfast and they both barfed in the car on the way there . . .

Ahh, brings back memories of the Big Mac I ate in 1971 just before going to a football game. Somewhere around the second quarter I...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, aptommo said:

WOW from the first to the last! That's inspiring to me thank you so much for sharing!! Also the pic with the green tables, what is holding up all your signs? I can't quite make it out! 

Are you talking about the signs behind the tables? Frames made from PVC. You can do a lot of things with PVC. PVC ROCKS!:rockon:

• Like 1

16 hours ago, aptommo said:

WOW from the first to the last! That's inspiring to me thank you so much for sharing!! Also the pic with the green tables, what is holding up all your signs? I can't quite make it out! 

I bought some clear plastic sign holders,  some metal rings that pivot open and hung them off the PVC. The pvc is attached the the shelves.  In a pinch I have used Zip Ties to hand the signs also.  Always have ZIP TIES with me.

16 hours ago, Quentin said:

I've got a lot of catching up to do. I see pictures like this and I feel inspired but also overwhelmed at the amount of work to be done.:unsure:  I talk a good game.

That is 3 years in 4 pictures.  LOL.  Even my current display have evolved. 

The basis of what I was doing 3 years ago is the same..   Making Candles..    BUT so much else has changed.  Nothing happened overnight.

AND I never went out and spent more money that I was making or feel like I wouldn't make back pretty quickly.

My favorite is the one with the blue tent....you have so much product....!

It's been years since I did shows.   I'm thinking of doing a couple next year just for the fun of it as I really did have fun at shows.   I made a lot of contacts when I used to do shows and would always pick up a couple wholesale accounts.   Actually I never really did good at shows to be quite honest.   Don't know why.   I always used to win first prize when they judged booths for presentation as I was always different than the normal as I would bring antique props/tables/shelf units I would lug in my truck....lol   but I always had fun....I would bring always Bonnie my dog with me and she got more attention than my candles....lol..but it was fun.

Trappeur

@Trappeur As much as I do not like setting up for shows and being up at the crack of dawn I do like the interaction at shows.  I like talking with people and seeing their reactions when smelling the candles. Like meeting the other vendors.  I have met some awesome people as shows.  2017 I did 41 shows.  2018 17 Shows.  I am sure that number will decrease again next year especially with my wholesale and online presence growing.  Swap a new show in and another out.    Will start planning just after xmas.  

• Like 1

On 12/7/2018 at 11:06 AM, MilosCandles said:

@Trappeur As much as I do not like setting up for shows and being up at the crack of dawn I do like the interaction at shows.  I like talking with people and seeing their reactions when smelling the candles. Like meeting the other vendors.  I have met some awesome people as shows.  2017 I did 41 shows.  2018 17 Shows.  I am sure that number will decrease again next year especially with my wholesale and online presence growing.  Swap a new show in and another out.    Will start planning just after xmas.  

@MilosCandles I've visited your Etsy shop a couple of times the last few weeks. Pretty impressive number of sales. I can see why you would do fewer and fewer shows.:thumbsup2:  That's the position I'd love to eventually be in.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Quentin said:

@MilosCandles I've visited your Etsy shop a couple of times the last few weeks. Pretty impressive number of sales. I can see why you would do fewer and fewer shows.:thumbsup2:  That's the position I'd love to eventually be in.

@Quentin Thanks. 

The main reason I keep doing fewer and fewer shows is that some of them are just not worthwhile.  In 2017 I did 8 Shows between Feb-April the PROFIT was $200 for 52 hours of selling time. I made $4 an hour when I started working when I was 16.  Add 2-3 hours for each of those 8 shows for setup and tear down.  So now I am making $3 an hour.  Then add in mileage to and from those 8 shows, plus the lunch I bought when I was there..  FOR SURE LOST MONEY.  I am better off sitting home in my recliner watching TV and taking a Nap.  LOL

In 2018 my 1st shows wasn't till May

Plus I started seeing the same people at every show.  I am not sure what it is like else where but in Buffalo, NY everyone thinks they can run a good show and there are multiple shows every weekend.  VERY over saturated.